Buffing Out Faded Headlight Lens??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffing Out Faded Headlight Lens??

You can't see it too well in this picture, but the plastic lenses on my wife's 1991 Mustang are really faded to the point the thing is really bad to drive at night. I ordered one of those "Headlight Polishing Kits", and UPS says it's coming today. Has anyone ever used one of these. I would think they are all pretty much the same. Some type of buffer that goes into an electric drill, along with some type of polishing compound. I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with them? Also, if this deal works out I'd like to install a new set of those really bright "blue" headlight bulbs. Does anyone know the brand name of these things? I see them from time to time on cars and trucks and they look substantially brighter than regular Halogen bulbs. The way I see this deal is if I buff the crap out of the lenses, and install these new bright lamps, I'll be able to actually see where the hell I'm going at night. Right or wrong? Comments please. Thanks in advance, Mel

Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
toothpaste and a little rubbing, saw it on one of those truck shows, 2 guys and a truck I think

Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at what RockPick did to the 2000 Mustang LS just a few threads down. The headlights looked terrible. Using Plast-X and a buffer - and good judgement - he was able to work a miracle. Then again, he's the master!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Those really bright "blue" headlights are HID units and more than just bulbs.

It's rather involved and quite expensive to go that route.

You can get just blue bulbs for the look but the amount of light that they make is horrible, which will make your situation even worse.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm not familiar with the Meguires "Plastix" product. Is this a polish that requires elbow grease like any other polishing compound?, or is it a preserving liquid? Rockpick really know what he's doing to make a vehicle look like that. I'm afraid I don't have his talent level in making "A silk purse out of a sows ear"! Mel

Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
Those really bright "blue" headlights are HID units and more than just bulbs. It's rather involved and quite expensive to go that route.
What is required? Some type of transformer or alternate power source? Mel

Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM
go try the toothpaste, it's a freebie, a little on a rag and rub

Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mel trapshooter
Is this a polish that requires elbow grease like any other polishing compound?
Lots of elbow grease...

Plast-X contains diminishing micro-abrasives that slowly break down on the plastic as they are abraded against the clear plastic.

The Mustang lights that I featured in that one detail were an absolute b*tch! There's no other way to put it. I wet sanded, I polished (high-speed with a high cut pad), I plast-X'd them, I plexus'd them... it was a major PITA.

I think you'll find that the headlight restoration kit that you've snared -- like many of them out there -- seem to work okay. The toothpaste trick can be used but, if they're really foggy (like you've described), you'll really have your hands full (and a very sore arm from buffing them).

My suggestion -- get your kit, follow the directions, and take some before and after photos.

If that doesn't work out, let's talk a tad more about what we can do to them.

Best of luck to you and thanks for the kudos, by the way!

-RP-

Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
My suggestion -- get your kit, follow the directions, and take some before and after photos.

If that doesn't work out, let's talk a tad more about what we can do to them.

Best of luck to you and thanks for the kudos, by the way!

-RP-
That's my plan of attack. I'm just playing on the Internet waiting on the UPS man to show up. My wife has already washed the car, so it's ready to go. I'll buff the crap out of one, and try to get it as good as I can with what I've got. I'll then post the photo and let you be the judge. If I can do more, I'll leave it up to your expertise to lead the way. Hell, I'll just be happy to see where I'm going driving home from work at 5:00AM! (I work weekend nights). Mel

Old 10-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mel trapshooter
What is required? Some type of transformer or alternate power source? Mel
A lot... HID usually requires a different reflector for proper cutoff, there are ballasts involved, etc. Without a proper install you will wind up blinding everyone in front of you.

Run a search on here for HID lights. There are several that have made the modification to their trucks.

One example: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=ballast

Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
That's far more than I want to deal with on a 17 year old vehicle. Thanks much for the heads up! Mel

Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Req
My '04 F-150 has no foggy headlight lens, but my daugter's Toyota was really fogged. I first used Turtle Wax paste that has a slight grit to it plus hand rub. Very little help. Then I used Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and whipped out my Porter Cable. This did it, but not easily. Those who want to use their toothpast may want to check their tooth enamel. The grit level of your toothpaste has to be amazing.

Quick Reply: Buffing Out Faded Headlight Lens??