scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scratches

i have light to mild scratches on my truck some are worse than others i tried wax and it wouldnt take them out what is the best way to take care of the scratches or hide them
thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 AM
well having a black truck before I pretty much had scratches all the time. I used a heavy 3M wax that would fill in the fine lines, and for the heavier scratches used a buffer with a finishing glaze and pad. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail there too deep and needs to be painted or touched up.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by king ranch
i have light to mild scratches on my truck some are worse than others i tried wax and it wouldnt take them out what is the best way to take care of the scratches or hide them
thanks
Wax doesn't remove scratches. Polish, or compounds do pending they are not through the base coat.

Do you happen to have any photos of your paint so we can tell you best how to fix?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks

As RR mentioned, wax, in and of itself, will not remove any type of surface blemish that is into the paint. What it will do is enhance luster and offer a sacrificial layer of protection to protect the painted surfaces from things like fallout, contamination, an occasional bird bomb, and so on...

Certain types of waxes - like cleaner waxes - may have some capability to remove light to mild swirling or even some light straight-line scratching and similar. Again though, these aren't really designed to be miracle chemicals.

From the sounds of it, you're going to have to go through a few steps to get it from 'some scratches' to having those scratches out of the paint and then, finally, reprotecting with that 'wax' that you mentioned.

This step of removing the scratches is generally referred to as abrasively polishing the paint. The abrasive action of the polish (and we'll recommend one to you once we can check out some of the photos) will abrade the clearcoat (another sacrificial layer -- of paint) to make it flat again thus removing the scratch. Another option is using more of a 'filling' product to fill the scratch and then hit it with your 'wax' step as the last step (LSP).

All of that said, until we see the pics, we're all going to be generally at a loss of words to help. If they're pretty mild scratches (ie: cannot be felt with a fingernail), we'll probably be able to point you towards a solution. If they're a bit more, maybe we can diminish them to the point that only you will know that they are there.

Either way, do not expect miracles. Do expect to accomplish, at a minimum, a visual minimization of the problem.

Let us know!

-RP-

Old 10-25-2007, 04:14 PM

sorry if the pics arent that good kinda cloudy outside but i can feel the scratch in some spots very lightly and others i can feel the scratch alot any suggestions

Old 10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 PM
some of those look pretty deep? Can you feel them with your fingernail?

If so, you may be a tad screwed on those. But most of that looks like you could do yourself with some Megs ScratchX. That is what I would try first. However, that being said, Even with new paint, if you use SX on those areas, it will also clean the surface so you may end up having to do the entire truck, be prepared for that.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Whenever i apply Mags Scratch X it hides the scratch but later on in the week and later i see the scratch again. what am i doing wrong with this?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:01 PM
ok so would the best thing to do is just get them buffed out if they can be buffed out

Old 10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dallasstars10
Whenever i apply Mags Scratch X it hides the scratch but later on in the week and later i see the scratch again. what am i doing wrong with this?
It has fillers and polishing oils. These help to conceal a problem... S-X also has diminishing abrasives.

Two possibilities here.

1) The scratch is too deep and cannot be removed or 2) the fillers are dealing with the problem but not removing it because of application.

Be sure to follow the directions to the 'T'. Beyond that, not sure what to tell you...

-RP-

Old 10-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Moderator &

ok so would the best thing to do is just get them buffed out if they can be buffed out

Hard call to make king. Can you feel them with your fingernail?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
yes i can feel them with my fingernail some i can barely feel others i can really feel

Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Moderator &

yes i can feel them with my fingernail some i can barely feel others i can really feel
The most readily available chemical that will do some of the trick will be Scratch-X. It *will* get some of it out; I'm sure of that. What it won't do is as good as what a professional detailer will be able to do with a rotary polisher and some higher cut polishes.

Beyond that, not sure what to tell you...

Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Do you live in DFW by chance?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
no i live in arcadia fl about 45 mins north of ft.myers

Quick Reply: scratches