Need Expert Opinions (Warning Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Expert Opinions (Warning Long)

Hey guys..had a few things i wanted to run by ya...warning this might be kinda long.

First off, i am wanting to get a new set of microfiber towels and heard that the chemical guys "El Gordo" have seen rave reviews on autopia..what do you guys think? A dozen for 25 bucks.

What do you guys think about Optimum Opti-Seal, I am currently using PoorBoy's EX-P sealant...is it better than Poorboy's?? Found it for 15 dollars a gallon on topoftheline. (which tells me probably not becaues poorboys was 15 for a 16 oz bottle)...or do you have any other suggestions?

Should i hurry up and order the G100 from autodetailingsolutions because people seemed worried about the G110...????

Best Durable carnauba wax..im currently using Chemical Guy's Butter Wet wax and looks great but has durability issues..was thinking about Meg's #26 in the gallon size.

The new trim restorer from ADS...my trim is in great shape but i saw a pic of a guy with a chrome edition f150 whos trim looked amazing..thought that would be cool...hyperdressing is attracting major major dirt!!!!

What are your opinions on the SCHMITT? I am currently using a chenille wash mit..and i am really going to try to tackle spiderwebbing and such this spring when i get my G100 or G110.

Ok thats it for now guys wheeeww im tired after that one..and im sure i left out a whole bunch

Old 10-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i hope you are are professional detailer.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
lol Why is that??

Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stud_135
First off, i am wanting to get a new set of microfiber towels and heard that the chemical guys "El Gordo" have seen rave reviews on autopia..what do you guys think? A dozen for 25 bucks.
Seems like a fair deal. Like you, I've read about this towel in a positive light.

What do you guys think about Optimum Opti-Seal, I am currently using PoorBoy's EX-P sealant...is it better than Poorboy's?? Found it for 15 dollars a gallon on topoftheline. (which tells me probably not becaues poorboys was 15 for a 16 oz bottle)...or do you have any other suggestions?
Couldn't answer for sure on this one. I know the EXP is spoken of in high regard but, certain Optimum products are as well. Boss_429, any thoughts?

Should i hurry up and order the G100 from autodetailingsolutions because people seemed worried about the G110...????
Hard call. Maybe the G110 is the best thing since sliced bread but, my hunch is that it might not be as popular of a machine... Personal opinion here.

Best Durable carnauba wax..im currently using Chemical Guy's Butter Wet wax and looks great but has durability issues..was thinking about Meg's #26 in the gallon size.
Durability from a carnauba -- Collinite #845, hands down, the most durable.

The new trim restorer from ADS...my trim is in great shape but i saw a pic of a guy with a chrome edition f150 whos trim looked amazing..thought that would be cool...hyperdressing is attracting major major dirt!!!!
Not sure what to tell you here. HD really isn't that great of a product to use on trim for a few specific reasons: 1) it's highly dilutable in water (rain runs) 2) the trim on a vehicle is a little different chemically in that it's much harder, less porus, and thus, less apt to suck up much of any chemical that you're going to use on it. As such, you'll get more attracted dirt. I don't know that you're going to find a perfect product in this type of dressing.

What are your opinions on the SCHMITT? I am currently using a chenille wash mit..
Tried it and didn't like it at all. If I wanted to use a foam sponge to wash my vehicle, I'd go with the 50 cent one from the Dollar Store. That said, there are some that swear by it... personally, I think it's a total waste of foam. Of course, that's my opinion.

-RP-

Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Great thoughts man..i will look into that Collinite..i have heard great things of them as well...ok here are my next couple...

Meguiar's #34 best bet on quick detailer?

I am tryin to figure out what i am going to do about the trim..what do you do? I have been looking at a solvent based dressing on chemical guys website...would this help any with the dust? im thinking absolutely not but supposedly it is a 9 out of 10 on dry to the touch scale...anyone had any experience with this product??

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_Pla..._p/tvd_105.htm

Some people swear by Zaino products..however i cant find anything but a series of polishes...wondering about their sealant..and wax...

Natty's Blue Paste Wax? Heard good things their too...but collinite is prolly what i will go with....

Basically im just trying to do some testing and such and find exactly what i want for my own personal vehicle and keep that stash separate!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM

I am tryin to figure out what i am going to do about the trim..what do you do? I have been looking at a solvent based dressing on chemical guys website...would this help any with the dust? im thinking absolutely not but supposedly it is a 9 out of 10 on dry to the touch scale...anyone had any experience with this product??

Basically im just trying to do some testing and such and find exactly what i want for my own personal vehicle and keep that stash separate!
The Chrome Edition truck you saw the picture of was mine. The ShowRoom Restore does dry to a matte finish. It's very dry to the touch when used alone. I put Megs #40 on the top because I really liked the dark black shine it gives the trim. I wouldn't recommend it for around the windows but on textured plastic I think it work great. Oh, it is much easier/better when applied with a foam applicator like the ones in the pictures.

Tic

Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 PM
In regards to the Opti-Seal vs Poorboys comparison. The Opti-Seal is plain awesome. I used it on 7 cars in the last few days and have only used a little over an ounce, a little bit goes a long way with this product. It is so easy to use too. It leaves a very deep and glossy look and also leaves a nice slickenss. The looks and slickenss actually increase in the 24 hour curing period.

CG Butter Wax is a good wax. It leaves a nice wet look but isn't very durable. Poorboy's Natty's blue is a great carnauba for the money, it adds some nice depth and wetness for the money. As RockPick said, Collinite is going to be the most durable.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I want to jump in here.

I have been buying up ADS Yellow 16X16 MF towels they are pretty good. Been also buying out some close out Megs MF towels locally for cheap cheap.

As for EX-P...LOVE IT. set time is low. 30-60 min, longer is better but not 12 hours like some products.

Megs #34, I buy it by the gallon, love it. It cleans my other QD's that streak.

I am one of the Poorboys bigots here. Use 95% of the products, some I love some I don't. I also like Optimum but never got around to trying the sealer.

Did I miss anything? Natty's Red if you can find it, Blue is also good, S100 is another fav but doesn't last long. Collinite good, very good.

Oh, I do have a good source for local Poorboys if you want it, send me a PM or email. I have also been buying some bad **** MF towels from the same source and every other order I get a few free ones to try.

EDIT: since you are buying up good stuff, go ahead and pick up some Hyperdressing. You'll fall in love with this stuff.

I did some Pure Poorboys details check out the link below. Cheers

JP

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-25-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Oh yeah hyperdressing is amazing..i bought a gallon of it and love it...and i love it 4:1 interior dressing the most..in all honesty i really like a lot of shine on the tires and even 1:1 isnt enough shine for me but wheel wells at 4:1 and undercarriage at the same ratio is absolutely amazing...so i have fallen in love with it...one thing i really need to learn how to do is cover the engine..i heard in a thread your method of doing under the hood and i am gonna try it...i have just become obsessed with this..its pretty funny...and i will find a time that we are both online and pm u about those poorboy's products because i also love the EXP sealant but have read some places that didnt much care for its durability..and with winter coming up in new mexico i want to get somethin very durable on there

Old 10-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Oh yeah and the biggest question i had that i went stupid on was the Meg's D-Line Body Solvent...so this would be a great bug remover i see...how about wax protection..does it strip it and for those of you that have tried it..how is it??

Old 10-26-2007, 04:07 AM
O.K. I may not be RP, Rolling Rock, or any of the super guru's but I have detailed a bit before, and believe it or not...your best bet for bug remover (at least as far as I have found) is sold at Wal-mart...made by RainX, and its a bug remover called....BUG Remover lol. Its safe on paints, and works great on the grill, and any chromish type places you have...also great on the windshield and any plastics.
~Phil

Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 AM
For $25 bucks, I would give them a try... and let us know!

Well, I'm not as big as fan of Poorboy's as I use to be. It seems there have been little improvements the last few years in his LSP products. I would go for the Opti-Seal if you are going to go use a sealant. Actually, I have recently become a big fan of Duragloss products... easy on, easy off, great looks, with great protection. Duragloss 105 will look as good as EX, or EX-P, and it will take them to the woodshed when it comes to durability and protection. Top the 105 with Aquawax or one of the Collinite waxes, and you are good for a "long" time.

Wait for a while until you hear more on the G110. You can always pick up a PC if you decide to shy away from the G110 at a latter date.

Poorboy's Natty waxes are good looking waxes, but lack durability. Same thing with #26. Collinite 915 (Marquee D'Elegance) is now my go-to carnauba. Kind of similar to Meguiar's #16, only it looks better, and last even longer. As a matter of fact, just about any of the Collinite waxes will outlast Natty's and #26. However, it is tough to beat the looks of #26 for the price.

What are your opinions on the SCHMITT? I am currently using a chenille wash mit..and i am really going to try to tackle spiderwebbing and such this spring when i get my G100 or G110.
I'm still partial to high quality sheepskin mitts. However, I have not use the SCHMITT yet. It may work just fine.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Boss_429

I'm still partial to high quality sheepskin mitts. However, I have not use the SCHMITT yet. It may work just fine.
Is this same Schmitt AKA known as Jack Schmitt?

Side Bar....I have been experimenting with PB QW+ over Natty's Red. Seemed to work pretty well, added some quick pop and wetness.

EDIT: A bottle of Collinite 845 is on the way to me right now.....PARTY?

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-26-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great thoughts man..i will look into that Collinite..i have heard great things of them as well...ok here are my next couple...
Insulator Wax (#845) is HARD stuff! I do like it but, remember, THIN THIN THIN!!!!

Meguiar's #34 best bet on quick detailer?
Opinions are like rear exit holes, we've all got one...

My personal favorite varies between a couple of products but, on black, I *REALLY* like 4-Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_Pla..._p/tvd_105.htm
Haven't tried that one. Sorry.

Some people swear by Zaino products..however i cant find anything but a series of polishes...wondering about their sealant..and wax...
The 'Z' system pulls all of that into one. I don't know a heck of a lot about it but, you're right, some do swear by it. To me, it's kind of a limited return for the amount of effort because I'm always tinkering with some kind of product on my paint and thus, the 'long term' durability that Z brings to the table really doesn't do much good for me. Plus, on a dark vehicle, I'm partial to a warm deep look rather than a super high 'suran-wrap' look.

Natty's Blue Paste Wax? Heard good things their too...but collinite is prolly what i will go with....
For a durable carnauba, I still don't think that Collinite #845 Insulator can be beat. JMO.

That's the best way to go, IMO. Test several and use whatever you like the best on a frequent basis. Like I said, everyone's got an opinion and a rear-exit.

As for the D-Line Body Solvent -- yep. It'll strip it. Not that great on the bugs either. I really like it on a light spray of tar or 'goop' stuck to a lower rocker panel. It smells fantastic too.

Enjoy!

-RP-

Quick Reply: Need Expert Opinions (Warning Long)