Water Spots on Glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Spots on Glass

How cool! I've been using just about whatever I could get my hands on around the house to try to get some really stubborn water spots, some etched into the glass, off of my windows. I finally broke down and pulled out the PC with a cutting pad and some Meg's SR 2.0 and went after them. They are gone!

Anyone see any potential problems with this? The glass looks really great.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
How cool! I've been using just about whatever I could get my hands on around the house to try to get some really stubborn water spots, some etched into the glass, off of my windows.
Next time, you might try Bar Keeps friends, etc. Do a search on here-- you will find a LOT of great info for future reference.

I finally broke down and pulled out the PC with a cutting pad and some Meg's SR 2.0 and went after them.
uhhh.... PC+ cutting pad = okay.... Megs SR 2.0??? Are you talking about #9? I have heard and used the Poorboys SSR 2 (and a LOT more products), and have heard of #9: Swirl Remover 2.0. Is this the one?

They are gone!
Good to hear!

Anyone see any potential problems with this?
not yet. I bet your neighbors got a kick out of it, though...

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Barkeepers Friend + elbow grease works ma'volous, simply ma'volous !!!

Rick

Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really... the PC isn't going to generate enough RPMs to really use a cutting pad effectively. In fact, with #9 (Swirl Remover 2.0), you'd probably not want to use a cutting pad...

The reason is that #9 is much more of a 'filling' product than a 'remover' product. As such, since you're 'filling' the problems, a FINISHING PAD would be a much better choice or a POLISHING pad at the worst.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 AM
f-150sport03
Next time, you might try Bar Keeps friends, etc. Do a search on here-- you will find a LOT of great info for future reference.
If you're the one who constantly refers folks to the search function, please take me off of your list. I did that. Thanks.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I've used any products mentioned with no success. Perhaps my application was at fault, but nevertheless, the spots remained.

uhhh.... PC+ cutting pad = okay.... Megs SR 2.0??? Are you talking about #9? I have heard and used the Poorboys SSR 2 (and a LOT more products), and have heard of #9: Swirl Remover 2.0. Is this the one?
Yep. That's the one.

not yet. I bet your neighbors got a kick out of it, though...
........the cows scarcely paid attention.

RockPick
Really... the PC isn't going to generate enough RPMs to really use a cutting pad effectively. In fact, with #9 (Swirl Remover 2.0), you'd probably not want to use a cutting pad...

The reason is that #9 is much more of a 'filling' product than a 'remover' product. As such, since you're 'filling' the problems, a FINISHING PAD would be a much better choice or a POLISHING pad at the worst.
Actually, I tried a few different things such as #80, some Deep Crystal Polish I had lying around, etc., and for some reason, perhaps because the surface was glass, or perhaps because the stars were correctly aligned, the #9 just seemed to let me work the PC a little better. Hell, I'd have used peanut butter if it would have helped. That's how bad my glass was. Our water could be used for blackboard chalk. Couple that with some glass neglect on my part (I used to pay all attention to everything but the glass) and visibility was actually becoming a concern.

I tried the finishing pad first. No luck. I went with the polishing pad. Not much luck. The cutting pad started taking the spots off..........and they're really pretty much gone.

It seems like my post wasn't well received. I just thought someone would like to hear about what I was able to do.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
If you're the one who constantly refers folks to the search function, please take me off of your list. I did that. Thanks.
Well...I am one of them. However, I was not meaning to be rude-- I am just saying that the water spots on glass thing has been discussed a lot. (this thought continues after next quote-- keep reading)

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I've used any products mentioned with no success. Perhaps my application was at fault, but nevertheless, the spots remained.
Ahh... Yes. I didnt realize you had searched already and had tried this out. In the future, you might consider putting that you searched already, how you applied the products, etc. If you dont put this info on there, we are likely to tell you the same stuff you have already read... Again-- misunderstanding.

........the cows scarcely paid attention.
I hope this is meant in humor...My neighbor comment certainly was... I know my neighbors think I am absolutely insane- until they need my help, at which point I am a God. (well, maybe not a God, but at least royalty )

It seems like my post wasn't well received. I just thought someone would like to hear about what I was able to do.
I wouldnt say that... We tend to break down posts (as you are seeing) and handle each bit as we feel in our own experience/opinion. This whole problem is easily avoided by putting the following information in your posts:

What the problem was
How you figured out the problem (in this case: above vs. etched into glass)
Each step performed, and how well it worked
Why you chose the method you did
whether you would do it differently if you had to do it again.

With all that info, we can readily visualize your situation and more clearly understand what and why you did what you did (I hope that makes sense).

Olive branch?

Quick Reply: Water Spots on Glass