Today's IMPRESSIVE detail*PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Hope you two guys don't mind me butting in on your conversation.
Not at all...
Truck looks very nice. You two do some good work.
Thank you, kind Sir. Much appreciated (especially from you-- a resident expert)
one suggestion I would have prior to diving in with the PB stuff, if you have limited finds, is to try some Menzerna IP and FP. I find I like the Menzerna better than I do the PB, and that is in no waya knock on PB's stuff, which I think pretty highly of.
Point noted. [goes to google]

what do you think about the Optimum polishes/compounds? I have an offer from somebody on a bunch of that stuff, but I would like to hear some more opinions.

SO...If anybody has advice as to chemicals, etc. for a limited budget, please let me know. I could use the advice.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Hope you two guys don't mind me butting in on your conversation.

Truck looks very nice. You two do some good work.

one suggestion I would have prior to diving in with the PB stuff, if you have limited finds, is to try some Menzerna IP and FP. I find I like the Menzerna better than I do the PB, and that is in no waya knock on PB's stuff, which I think pretty highly of.

Gip, that stuff ain't cheap either. I always thought that Menz was for ceramic paints.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Gip, that stuff ain't cheap either. I always thought that Menz was for ceramic paints.
I just priced it: $47 from autogeek for the kit (the 2 products you mentioned plus 2 MFs and 2 applicators)
versus:
$14 for 32 oz of #80
versus
$14 x4 products for the magic potion (aka PB SSR series)

Me thinks it will be #80 in a 32 oz bottle... Other thoughts anyone?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 PM
It is designed to work on ceramic paints, but works on any paint, clear coat or single stage.

you can get a 16 oz of the IP delivered for under $20 bucks .. so it isn't any more expensive than the SSR.

the thing to remember about constanly trying new products is that it makes it harder to become and expert with one or two of them ..

nothign wrong with it, but it is always a good idea to learn the complete capabilites of a couple of products, that way you always have a tried and true method in your pocket that you have complete faith in.

there is a ton of great stuff on the market these days .. and as several on her have stated many times .. process and procedure have more bearing on finished product than chemicals, as long as you are using high quality stuff.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
properautocare has the Menzerna IP and FP get aquainted kit for $29.

#80 is a great product, and you can't go wrong with it .. it is one of the few products that I use with both my DA and Dewalt.

16 oz will last you several vehicles, at least.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
It is designed to work on ceramic paints, but works on any paint, clear coat or single stage.

you can get a 16 oz of the IP delivered for under $20 bucks .. so it isn't any more expensive than the SSR.

the thing to remember about constanly trying new products is that it makes it harder to become and expert with one or two of them ..

nothign wrong with it, but it is always a good idea to learn the complete capabilites of a couple of products, that way you always have a tried and true method in your pocket that you have complete faith in.

there is a ton of great stuff on the market these days .. and as several on her have stated many times .. process and procedure have more bearing on finished product than chemicals, as long as you are using high quality stuff.

I am only familiar with three lines.

Megs
Poorboys
Optimum

Menz is one I want to try along with Duragloss, ClearKote and Klasse. But for now, i am cool with the 3 above.

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-27-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
<snip>you can get a 16 oz of the IP delivered for under $20 bucks .. so it isn't any more expensive than the SSR. <snip>
Well... thats only for the IP. I would also need FP, right?

As for now, I felt REALLY comfortable using the SSRs, so after I have used 80 on enough customers to afford the SSRs, I will be set. I guess I am a bit of a PB/Megs fan...

BTW-- What Jason forgot to mention is that when we went out to eat at the high dollar establishment of McDonalds Gentleman's Eatery (but not the Drive thru), I cant seem to hold on to a grilled chicken sandwich. It was hilarious... First, I grabbed it out of the box, and the chicken fell out. So, I picked it up off the tray, stuffed it back in, and within about 5 minutes, the chicken popped outta the sandwich and onto tha' floor... And to think JP trusted me with his paint and a claybar...(I promise, I didnt drop that...)

THEN, we got back to the house, and we clayed with a purple bar... I set it on the shelf, and within 10 minutes JP's 4 year old daughter came out with a purple hunk of play doh telling us she found the "clay" on the ground. My heart nearly stopped, and Jason nearly threw his G100 at me... God thing the color was slightly different than the new purple clay... I might have been dead

So...all in all... it was a day of success and laughs...

Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 PM
properautocare has the Menzerna IP and FP get aquainted kit for $29.

#80 is a great product, and you can't go wrong with it .. it is one of the few products that I use with both my DA and Dewalt.

16 oz will last you several vehicles, at least.
Good to know... probably what I will go with (except I will likely go with 32 oz. )Everybody around here either has horrid micromarring or a big truck or both...
EDIT: I will likely be taking the Megs route-- just thought I would clarify. I figure JP will get that Menzerna set... If not, I will eventually. It just may be a year before I do...

Last edited by f-150sport03; 10-27-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 PM
I am only familiar with three lines.

Megs
Poorboys
Optimum

Menz is one I want to try along with Duragloss, ClearKote and Klasse.

Lets be clear....i am not expert, just a weekend warrior here. I leave the tough stuff to the pros.
well Shucky Durn-- you are ahead of me by one... If only I had the time and money and vehicles to play with more goodies...

Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Well... thats only for the IP. I would also need FP, right?...
you can do just the IP. the FP does a nice finishing touch, but it is not required. (sort of like following #80 with #9)

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
As for now, I felt REALLY comfortable using the SSRs, so after I have used 80 on enough customers to afford the SSRs, I will be set. I guess I am a bit of a PB/Megs fan....

nothing wrong with that .. the SSR's are good stuff.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Nice work.
Thank you kind sire. Much appreciated from the other of the resident experts.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Ryan

you asked about MF's

I have a few of these from SMP in Houston

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/mf-1015.html

But I do have a ton of these from ADS (Dark Gold)
ADS-MT-12 Pack..............12 Towels
$17.99 Save $8.00
Internet Special...$9.99

not to mention, I bought up a bunch of 3 packs of Megs
X-2020..................3 Pack
$6.99
Internet Special...$6.59

They are now discontinued.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Ryan

you asked about MF's

I have a few of these from SMP in Houston

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/mf-1015.html

But I do have a ton of these from ADS (Dark Gold)
ADS-MT-12 Pack..............12 Towels
$17.99 Save $8.00
Internet Special...$9.99

not to mention, I bought up a bunch of 3 packs of Megs
X-2020..................3 Pack
$6.99
Internet Special...$6.59

They are now discontinued.
Yeah-- I am going to get some from ADS I think (prob. 12)
BTW-- the SMP ones were freaking SWEET! I think if I ever do a detail on anything worth more than 70k, I will get some for that detail (then have some for me afterwards!)

Why did Megs discontinue the SS towels? They are really nice...I wonder if nobody bought them due to cost. All the people that are A-line folks get cheapie MFs, and all the detailers go to places like SMP, ADS, waxstation, etc...

Man... All this talk tonight about getting goodies... I can hardly wait to go ahead and get some to play with...

Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 AM
I know the feeling..so many products on one hand..ramen noodles for a month on the other...oh well my unborn kids can get a job at 5 yo right?

Quick Reply: Today's IMPRESSIVE detail*PICS*