Need to clean tires, black thing behide tire, and dash, what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to clean tires, black thing behide tire, and dash, what to use?

I've seen pictures of some pretty clean trucks on here and wanted to see if you all could recommend products to use to detail my truck. You know the basic, rims, tires, the inside dash stuff. One spot that really needs cleaning is the space behide the wheel, but I have no idea what to use. Also keep in mind I'll be doing all my shopping at the local auto supplies store; autozone, advance, and O'Reillys. Here is a list of things I've been using. Thanks.

Rims (Chrome)=8 OZ, Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish (Works Great but dont know if it harms the chrome)

Tires= ARMOR ALL FIERCE SHINE TIRE FOAM 18 oz.

Tire Shine= Black Magic Tire Wet

Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 PM
For cleaning the tires, rims, and wheel wells, I use Simple Green. The first time you do it, you may need to use it full strength, but after that, you should be able to get away with a 1:1 ratio. (Water:chemical).

For the dash, I reccommend Quik Interior Detailer (Meguiars). It is not too shiny, doesnt attract dust, and smells nice. Great stuff.

For the tire and wheel well dressing, there are a LOT of options:

If you prefer a lot of gloss, go for Meguiars Endurance Gloss for the tires (applied with an Eagle One Tire Swipe). Dont forget to wipe off excess a couple of hours after application so you dont get slingoff.

If you prefer the natural, matte look, go for something that doesnt boast the shinyness, or just wipe down immediately after applying.

FOR THE WHEEL WELLS: Go for any cheap tire spray.

FOR THE RIMS: Although Megs Quik detailer for Rims works great, it is not necessary unless you have a brake dust problem. It cuts through dust really well, but if this isnt a problem for you, any QD will work fine.

IF/WHEN YOU ORDER SOMETHING ONLINE:
There are a LOT better options out there. For the interior, I still would stay with QID, but for the tires/wheel wells, I would go with Hyperdressing, hands down. (order from here for great deals) As for cleaning, I still say Simple Green at a 1:1, but if you wanted to step up, APC+ works FANTASTIC (and I hear APC does great, too, but I have never used it).

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by ddgarcia05
I've seen pictures of some pretty clean trucks on here and wanted to see if you all could recommend products to use to detail my truck. You know the basic, rims, tires, the inside dash stuff. One spot that really needs cleaning is the space behide the wheel, but I have no idea what to use. Also keep in mind I'll be doing all my shopping at the local auto supplies store; autozone, advance, and O'Reillys. Here is a list of things I've been using. Thanks.

Rims (Chrome)=8 OZ, Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish (Works Great but dont know if it harms the chrome)

Tires= ARMOR ALL FIERCE SHINE TIRE FOAM 18 oz.

Tire Shine= Black Magic Tire Wet
Your wheels are clear coated. Is the Hot rims clear coat safe? I used scratch-x on my wheels at first for a few stains but I only need car soap now since I use NXT on the wheels. I use the Hot Shine Gel on the tires. I really like it because I have zero sling with the gel. Here's what that combo looks like.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Do yourself a favor and paint the wheel wells Satin black. Looks so much better.
As for wheels I have the same chrome wheels and soap and water does the trick just fine. Wheel cleaners are a waste of money!
I use mequirs tire jel on my tires. Put it on w/ a black magic applicator I bought from advanced. It will not sling off and last for 2-3 washes.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the tires I use Westley's Bleache White. Great stuff. For the wheels I use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. I also use this to clean the fenderwells. I use Meguiar's Hot Shine tire spray. For the interior I use Mother's Protectant. All of this can be found at O'Rielys, at least here anyways.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I live on a gravel road, so my wheel wells get very dirty. I just use some full strength simple green to clean them, and then I just paint them with some cheap spray paint. As for the tires, I use Bleche White to clean, and then use Hot Shine or NXT tire spray for the gloss. The endurance gel works good too, but I usually don't have the patients to apply it unless the weather is going to be nice for a while. I use the Hot Rims spray to clean the wheels. I clean my wheels and tires as the last step of my wash. When they dry, I spray the tires, and then clean off the little bit that gets on the wheels.

Last edited by Titans Fan 527; 11-05-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I think u guys forgot to answer one of his questions. how are you guys cleaning the back of the rim. Are you taking the rims off or climbing up under.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
I think u guys forgot to answer one of his questions. how are you guys cleaning the back of the rim. Are you taking the rims off or climbing up under.
I take mine off about 3x per year. On 'extra special' details, I'll remove all four tire/wheels and clean/protect. There's definitely some liability though -- which I like to avoid as a one man show plus, it is an optional service that must be requested by the owner.

In between removals, I'll work back in there as far as I can with a very limber bug sponge or something that I can maneuver behind the spokes of the stock wheel -- this will vary depending on the vehicle's wheels from an accessibility standpoint.

-RP-

Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Yep, RP is right. You need to take the wheels off at least a couple of times a year to clean them properly, and apply some protection.

In between the thorough cleaning, I like to use the E-Z wheel brush. I can bend the tip to clean way back in there!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Yep, I missed that part.... I rotate my tires every time I change my oil (3000 Miles) so I can remember it easier. I just wash them really good then the same way I clean the outside. I even bleche white the tires to clean them up.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 PM
DLM
Originally Posted by Ticman
hey man, i was thinking of buying those tires you have next...how do you like them and what size are they?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Those are essentially a stock replacement street tire. They are quite decent, I have them on mine - 255/70-16 LR B. 500 bucks out the door for my set at Sam's Club with the warranty/service package. They ride well, are fairly quiet, decent in bad weather, and seem to be wearing VERY well. They are FAR from being offroad tires though.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
DLM
that's cool, man. i'm not into dirt. my stock michelins are at 50k right now and still have some tread left, but i'm looking to try these in a 275/60r17 to replace em...

Last edited by DLM; 11-06-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree with GLC. They are stock tires that came on the truck but they ride and handle very good. Smooth quite ride as well. Mine are 18 inch wheels.

Tic

Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You are lucky, Tic - mine came with those dogsh1t Generals.

DLM, I think you would be happy with them after the stock Michelins. They are a very similar tire and probably cheaper.

Quick Reply: Need to clean tires, black thing behide tire, and dash, what to use?