new paint on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new paint on my truck

So i kinda had a mini accident this morning as i was driving i made a sharp turn and a black mirror hit my truck around the fender flare leaving some paint on it about 2-3 inches long and an inch wide. some of it came of with my fingernail and some also game off with a scratch x. what would get the rest of it off? i would say its scratched but nothing down to the bare metal. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by gators241987
So i kinda had a mini accident this morning as i was driving i made a sharp turn and a black mirror hit my truck around the fender flare leaving some paint on it about 2-3 inches long and an inch wide. some of it came of with my fingernail and some also game off with a scratch x. what would get the rest of it off? i would say its scratched but nothing down to the bare metal. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Pics?

Clay is a good place to start.
I know this stuff is EXTREMELY harsh, but Turtle Wax Polishing compound (green and white plastic tub, WalMart, $5) is VERY adept at getting plastic transfer off. I did this when I had the same thing happen. HOWEVER, you will need to follow that up with S-X to get the micromarring out that it leaves behind.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Suspended
i wont have pics till monday at the earliest. out of town. the mirrors were painted on the other vehicle. but i will try claying it when i get back. im just happy it didnt leave a dent or anything.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Good news, if this came off with your finger, this one is easy.

Here is all you do. Get some lacquer thiner and use old towel to get it off, then you need to clay it, polish it and wax the area.

Check there photos out, work from the last backward.
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ckTX/John%20Z/

Old 11-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Suspended
alrite thanks guys. i will let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Good news, if this came off with your finger, this one is easy.

Here is all you do. Get some lacquer thiner and use old towel to get it off, then you need to clay it, polish it and wax the area.

Check there photos out, work from the last backward.
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ckTX/John%20Z/
THAT'S what I couldn't remember, in spite of the fact that you told me this around 100x...

Yeah, search for this kind of thing-- RR did an impressive job on a car with housepaint on it by using laquer thinner...

Old 11-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Suspended
i tried the clay bar and not much came off. i used the laquer and the black paint came right off. it took a little bit of the red paint off but its ok. i also noticed theres a small dent. how do i get this out? any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 PM
iit took a little bit of the red paint off but its ok.
WHAT? Really? It should not have done that unless you were bearing down pretty hard.

If anything, it should have dulled the finish....but not the clear, and base coat.

The dulling is simply the abrasion of the contact of the other paint on yours. After polishing those abrasions will be less visible if at all.

I am a little concerned....when you said the red came off, you mean you saw it on the rag?

Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM
i tried the clay bar and not much came off. i used the laquer and the black paint came right off. it took a little bit of the red paint off but its ok. i also noticed theres a small dent. how do i get this out? any suggestions?
can you get a pic of the area affected?

Take a hard angle (45-85 degrees) pic so we can see the dent then take a straight on shot to see the finish. Get as close and as in focus as possible with whatever camera you have. I am very interested in seeing this..

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Agreed with RR...

Also-- for the dent, go find a Paintless Dent Repair guy. To put it into RockPick's words: "Those guys work voodoo magic."

Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it took a little bit of the red paint off but its ok.
Ugh. That's not good. Not good at all.

You see, to get to the COLOR coat, you had to first go through the CLEAR coat.

When working on today's modern finishes, if you're seeing color on your application pad, removal MF towel, or similar - you've done something wrong or the problem was much more than what could be accomplished with whatever you were using...

-RP-

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
RP,

I guess my question is this now....can the finish be marred enough to go through the clear in a defined area thus exposing the base coat? If so, wouldn't that be somewhat obvious by looking at it? Rather, couldn't you be able to tell if it was through the clear?

I suppose that if the other paint was covering it may not have been so apparent.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Suspended
hardly any paint came off on the actually truck part. the red paint that was on the rag was from the fender flares and the guy that did that did a pretty crappy job. after i lift it next week i will take care of the flares eventually. i will try to get some pics up soon.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
hardly any paint came off on the actually truck part. the red paint that was on the rag was from the fender flares and the guy that did that did a pretty crappy job. after i lift it next week i will take care of the flares eventually. i will try to get some pics up soon.
Oh you had the flares painted?

If so that would explain that a little. The paint there is typically crazy thin....and if your guy didn't clear them that would explain the loss of color.

Yeah lets see some photos....

JP

Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Suspended
well i just tried to take some pics. looking at the pics, you cant tell a thing. it looks perfectly normal. you only notice it if you get about 8 inches away and stare right at the spot

Quick Reply: new paint on my truck