leather care

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather care

my mother wants me to take care of her leather for her she has a f-250 lariat i am not familiar with what to use on this leather i have a king ranch
so what should i use on this leather by the way it hasnt been cleaned/conditioned with nothing in about 4 years besides maybe a wet rag
its a 2000 so its old but only has 50k miles on doesnt get drove that much and not any wear on the leather itself
thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM
I would start with vaccuming it (if you havent already) to get the crap outta the seams. Then, do the wet rag thing, but make sure it is steaming hot... I found this to be VERY effective with my Dad's 2001 SD Lariat.

After that, I just used the one step Cleaner/conditioner, but in hindsight, I would have asked RP for advice. I think that Lexol would be fine, but remember that the coated leathers will not have nearly the results as the Castano (how do you put a tilde over the n?) leather will...

A couple of products that come to mind (but dont quote me on these): Leather CPR, PB Leather Stuff, Megs 2 step Aloe cleaner/conditioner, Lexol, etc...
I would say that your best bet is to hear from RollingRock, Gipraw, RockPick, 03gtMustang, some F-150 Lariat owner, etc... I have an XL, so my experience with leather is VERY limited...

Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How dirty is it? Color? Pictures would be EXTREMELY helpful. While a super hot damp rag won't hurt anything, it's likely not going to have enough 'oompah' to cut through the grime sitting down in the pores of the coating on the lariat leather (remember, we're talking lariat leather here -- not KR Castano (KR Castano is an analine leather meaning that it's uncoated (ie: pure leather) KR Castano (and Chapparral) is analine... Lariat Leather is *NOT* analine)).

I just completed a significant interior make over on a 2000 Mercury Sable a couple of weekends ago.

The interior was, by far, the worst that I've worked on from a 'ground in' grime standpoint. The vehicle turned out 200X better with several hours of labor and the right chemicals.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Sweet, I get to talk about both of my prized vehicles twice in one day.

I too own a KR and the leather is a complete pain to take care of. Worth it, though.

The leather in the '05 Mustang is similar to the leather in a Lariat. I just wipe it off with a wet rag two or three time a year. Looks the same now as when we bought it.

Some pictures would definitely help. If the seats currently show no wear, just wipe 'em down with a hot rag. Throw some Lexol on once or twice a year. Or, you could put some some KR conditioner on those Lariat seats and make the truck smell like a Boots 'N Jeans store for about a week

Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Use something water based, silicon and solvent free. Something with natural oils, not synthetic. Leather Master comes to mind, or Lexol.

Quick Reply: leather care