Wiping wheels with dry cloth

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiping wheels with dry cloth

I was wondering if anyone knew if wiping the brake dust off wheels dry could damage them. When I was the truck I just use a dedicated sponge with the soap I clean the truck with. However, in between washes, when my wheels get dirty (which seems like all the time) I just wipe them with a dry cloth. I figured with how fine the dust is, it wouldn't damage the clearcoat. Any thoughts? Thanks BigDogFX4

Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDogFX4
I was wondering if anyone knew if wiping the brake dust off wheels dry could damage them. When I was the truck I just use a dedicated sponge with the soap I clean the truck with. However, in between washes, when my wheels get dirty (which seems like all the time) I just wipe them with a dry cloth. I figured with how fine the dust is, it wouldn't damage the clearcoat. Any thoughts? Thanks BigDogFX4
Clearcoat on wheels is just the same as clearcoat on paint.

First, ensure you have clayed, and sealed them with a good wax, then to remove dust, use a MF towel and QD spray, in between washings.

Consider a reduced-dust brake pad as well.

Hopefully the OCD Council will see it - I know SFA about this stuff

MGD

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDogFX4
Misconception...

Dry wiping can, in and of itself, damage the clear. While the dust is microscopic, it's an abrasive dust (ie: resulting from the abrasive stopping between a pad and a rotor).

Further, you're dealing with a wheel -- the point hanging on to the point that makes contact with the road. The road, as we all know, is loaded up with grit and grime.

The long and short of it is that you're flirting with absolute disaster. I have a couple of scratches on *MY* wheels that can demonstrate why you should *ALWAYS* utilize copious amounts of some kind of QD spray or, in most cases, should just wash them as you would your paint.

-RP-

Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Megs Quick wheel detailer worls really well at pruviding lots of lubricity as well as cutting through the brake dust and road grime.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks, I will not wipe them dry anymore. I'll pick up some of the Megs wheel detailer. I have quick detailer for the paint from both Megs and Mothers. Thanks again BigDogFX4

Quick Reply: Wiping wheels with dry cloth