First Detail - What do I need

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Detail - What do I need

Alright, im trying to get all the stuff together so that when i return i can do a complete detail. I have a Charcoal Gray F-150 SCREW

Im going to buy the G-100 or the PC 7424 as a kit with pads from somwhere, probably the ADS site everyone recomends.

The big question is what waxes/polishes/washes do i need to get this job done. Ive read about 100 different detail posts and sometimes its hard to understand what yall are talking about with all the abreviations. Like when someone refrences Megs #83 (what does that mean). I know the process and what i have to do, i just want to know in normal peoples terms exactly what products would be best for the Charcoal Gray

The paint is in very good condition but i still want to do the full detail because who knows how the paint was treated before it got to me.

Another quick question, I know its good to use Microfiber to buff off the wax and polishes, but do you guys dry the vehicle with Microfiber towels, I didnt think that they are very absorbent, Ive always just used one of those rubber type shammys that come in the tubes, Is that bad, cause if it is i dont want to do it on my new truck. I had a black F-150 and it had some serious swirls could it be from using the shammy instead of a Microfiber towel??

Appreciate the help folks, ill keep reading the detailing posts to try and grasp this art

Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Heres the best pics i got of the paint

Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 AM
well bro!! basic detailing 101 find a nice shaded area to wash and wax or better yet wash and wax before daybreak, THE SUN IS YOUR ENEMY. the tube chamois (shammy) is ok for the first 3 to 4 washings but you'll notice that it begins to shed. spend a little more money on a good LEATHER (tubeless) one. MEGS=meguiars. IMHO (in my honest opinion) Meguiars and Mothers are the two best waxes, pick your poison. DO NOT DRY YOUR TRUCK WITH A TERRY CLOTH. TERRY CLOTH WILL SCRATCH. You can use terry cloth to remove the wax though, tough enough to remove dry wax and leaves the finish you want, yet wont scratch after wax application. The key to a great wax is in the circles hell on your arms but you truck will love. Don't use Microfiber to dry the truck its a waste of time and money. eep in mind the more you use the micro cloth to remove wax the better because that wax bond with the cloth over time and that benefits you by having the ability to keep your wax finish with just a quick wipe down. AND DONT BE AFRAID TO GET WAX ON YOUR CHROME HANDLES, MAKES EM SHINE LIKE NEW QUARTERS JUST DONT LEAVE IT ON.

Last edited by cookiesp; 11-05-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Ok, thanks for the reply, but like i said, I understand the process, i just want to know what products to buy ie. what wash/polish/wax for the Charcoal Gray

I understand that Meguiars and Mothers are good, but they got about a million products each.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Well, I know a lot of the folks here are going to recommend Meguiar's products, and with good reason. They will certainly get the job done extremely well.

With that said, I will give you two other options for your DSG paint.

Option 1...

Mothers Power Polish to use with your PC. Nice, versatile product. You can use it with a cutting pad, polishing pad, or finishing pad, depending on the needs.

Follow that with one or two applications of Mothers Reflections Car Wax. It has some light cleaners, so it doen't pay to try and layer more than two coats.

Then, after at least 12 hours or the next wash, apply a coat of Mothers Reflections Top Coat. No cleaners in Top Coat, so you can apply multiple coats (with some cure time in-between)

To keep the finish maintained to perfection, try some of the new Mothers Reflections Spray Wax. When you dry the vehicle after washing, mist on a little of the spray wax, and lightly spread it as you are drying the vehicle with a good Waffle Weave drying towel.

Any good QD for light dust and smudge marks, bird do-do... etc.

Option 2...

Power Polish
Mothers Sealer & Glaze
Mothers California Gold Carnauba Wax
Reflections Spray Wax to maintain, or additional coats of Top Coat
QD

Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 AM
on the washing .. use the two bucket method, with a nice, high quality lambs wool mitt, and a good car soap.

For Drying .. best, safest way is to take the nozzle off the hose and sheet the water across the paint, from Top to bottom .. then hit the paint with a blower, then go back and BLOT the drips dry with a Waffle Weave Micro Fiber drying towel .. I am not a big fan of the absorber or a chamois, as they have very little nap and give you a much greater chance of marring your paint during the drying process.

Boss_429 gave you a couple of good options for products ..

Don't forget to add claying to the process, right after the washing.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Wanna stick with Megs?
-Gold Class Car Wash/shampoo
-#80 Speed Glaze
-#7 Polish (or #9 Swirl Remover 2.0---see note at bottom)
-#21 Synthetic Sealant
-#26 High Tech Yellow Wax

*NOTE: The polishes are optional; I reccommend them. #7 is a pure polish, thus it only enhances the depth and gloss of the paint and makes it look wet. #9 offers some light abrasives as well as some fillers so as to conceal a lot of the swirls. This is good when you dont want to be constantly removing more clearcoat.

Wanna go with Poorboys?
-Super slick and suds (wash)
-SSR 3 (if needed), 2.5, 2, 1 (These are the abrasive polishes)
-Polish with sealant OR pure polish (I cant remember the real name)
-EX-P (sealant)
-Nattys Blue Carnauba Wax

Wanna go Optimum?
(ask somebody who knows:lol)
I hear the HyperCompound works well...

Menzerna has the following abrasive polishes that I have hear (from Gip) that work well, but I dont know the rest of their line at all...
Intensive Polish
Final Polish

I dont know that many other lines...

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks Gipraw, Boss, and F150Sport

Thats exactly what i was looking for.............

If i were to just buy one of the DA kits from ADS would that pretty much have everything i would need. It sure looks like it........The 280 dollar one looks pretty good, But with the 399 dollar one you get the microfiber drying towel and a bunch of other goodies.

Lets say i went with the 280 dollar one, do you guys see anything i would have to add to it anyhow.......I guess its prolly best just to spend the money now, then ill have everything to get it done correctly and hell i can prolly charge a few of my family members to do their ride and get my money back......

http://autodetailingsolutions.com/Po...20Specials.htm

I gotta stay away from this site, im gonna spend a lot of money!!!!

Quick Reply: First Detail - What do I need