Power Ball / Mini Ball

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Ball / Mini Ball

I was just curious to see what the opinions are for the power ball and the mini ball since they have been out for a while. For example would they hold up on diamond plate aluminum? I would like to polish my tool box, but I'm afraid the "diamonds" will tear the foam up....

Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting this, I bought one 3-4 months ago and its still sitting in my garage. Totally forgot about it. Im going to try and wax my rims this weekend.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 11-05-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will watch this thread as well. I am trying to decide if the Mothers Power Ball is worth it, or if I should maybe try the Flitz polisher on my alloys... Even with EBC pads the brake dust is enough to drive a guy looney...

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
The Powerball is absolutely amazing. I used mine on my diamond plate toolbox and it did a great job of shining it up. the powerball came out unharmed and since you can switch it around and use both sides you can do your toolbox and rims before you even have to wash it. The Flitz polish does a great job of shining up the toolbox especially if you have some baking soda to go with it and if you go over it a second time with the mothers metal polish it will look great.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Titans Fan 527
I was just curious to see what the opinions are for the power ball and the mini ball since they have been out for a while. For example would they hold up on diamond plate aluminum? I would like to polish my tool box, but I'm afraid the "diamonds" will tear the foam up....
They sell replacement ***** for it also. Since I wax my rims they pretty much come clean with soap and water. Im going to try and wax with it. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Guys

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been eyeing these, but I was leary of how they held up. I didn't know they sold the replacement ***** either. Where do you get the Flitz polish? I have used and like the Wenol polishes, but they are a couple years old.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While it's a great concept -- actually one that's been around for a long time -- be VERY careful with them. All it takes is one little bit of grit or sand or similar to lodge in the right spot on the 'ball' and it'll THRASH your wheel.

I've had one client that showed me what he managed to do to his car's clearcoated wheels with the Powerball and, I must say, I was impressed... I'm not sure I could've taken 300 grit and done as much damage as what he did...

That said, the guy really made some poor decisions about when and how to use the Powerball (on a very dirty wheel in a gravel driveway) but, the point is, that even under good circumstances, you can pick up grit and grime and thrash a wheel...

Also, keep in mind that most factory wheels are clearcoated and really shouldn't be 'polished' like metal -- because it's not metal that you're actually polishing -- it's clearcoat. Treat clearcoat like paint!

Just be careful out there, okay?

-RP-

Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 PM
What about applying wax with it instead of a metal polish. I bought one a while back but havn't even opened it yet. Still deciding on whether to return it or not. Bout the only places I'd have to use it would be to work on wheels or under the hood. Havn't really needed anything else under the hood. Looks good right now.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
What about applying wax with it instead of a metal polish. I bought one a while back but havn't even opened it yet. Still deciding on whether to return it or not. Bout the only places I'd have to use it would be to work on wheels or under the hood. Havn't really needed anything else under the hood. Looks good right now.
You sound like me, thats my plans to only apply wax.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Funny this topic comes up. I just bought a powerball this weekend (boy I hope I picked the winning numbers )

Really I did along with Mothers chrome polish. I tried it on my chrome wheels Sunday and was impressed with the outcome, the wheels are pretty new so no night and day difference, the best thing was the ability to clean into the small hard to reach areas between the spokes of the wheels. I was impressed and will continue to use it.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
Not really sure... I guess you could. Not sure of the time savings of applying a LSP to a wheel though. I mean, if you needed a mechanical method for some problem removal (swirl, light ox, etc); maybe then but, how hard is it to apply a LSP to a wheel? Maybe in the tight areas? Heck, still seems silly to me.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
While it's a great concept -- actually one that's been around for a long time -- be VERY careful with them. All it takes is one little bit of grit or sand or similar to lodge in the right spot on the 'ball' and it'll THRASH your wheel.

I've had one client that showed me what he managed to do to his car's clearcoated wheels with the Powerball and, I must say, I was impressed... I'm not sure I could've taken 300 grit and done as much damage as what he did...

That said, the guy really made some poor decisions about when and how to use the Powerball (on a very dirty wheel in a gravel driveway) but, the point is, that even under good circumstances, you can pick up grit and grime and thrash a wheel...

Also, keep in mind that most factory wheels are clearcoated and really shouldn't be 'polished' like metal -- because it's not metal that you're actually polishing -- it's clearcoat. Treat clearcoat like paint!

Just be careful out there, okay?

-RP-
That was incredibly GREAT advise, and something that anybody considering one of the Powerballs should pay close attention too.

Only use this product on the correct type wheels, under "pristine" conditions... even then be careful!!!! Even a lot of the chrome nowadays is clear-coated.

I had one guy ask me if he could use a PowerBall, some Power Polish, and his electric drill to polish his PAINT!

My response... "Only if you want to get it repainted!"

Quick Reply: Power Ball / Mini Ball