Water Restrictions & cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Restrictions & cleaning...

Howdy fellas, well if you havn't been keeping up with the weather, or don't live in the Southeast...there is a serious water shortage, and well I know in my town we have a water restriction on our toilets let alone plants and washing cars. Well too the point, I was mudding in NY (no water problems up there compared too here) and I washed my truck up there at a DIY auto place, just hosed down pretty much didn't use those scrubbers (except for the underbody ), and there is still an insane amount of dirt on my truck. I finally have the time to do a super detail, yet I don't want too get myself (or my parents) a fine for washing my truck. I want too do a serious detail and finally have the O.K. too use the garage too do so (dads out of town so the tauraus waggon gets the boot outside) yet I still need too wash it first. What do I do?
~Phil

Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If the DIY car washes are still open, that beats nothing - you could do that to finish getting the mud off then use that no rinse shampoo stuff.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:56 AM
GA Water

Originally Posted by zambonimaxx
Howdy fellas, well if you havn't been keeping up with the weather, or don't live in the Southeast...there is a serious water shortage, and well I know in my town we have a water restriction on our toilets let alone plants and washing cars. Well too the point, I was mudding in NY (no water problems up there compared too here) and I washed my truck up there at a DIY auto place, just hosed down pretty much didn't use those scrubbers (except for the underbody ), and there is still an insane amount of dirt on my truck. I finally have the time to do a super detail, yet I don't want too get myself (or my parents) a fine for washing my truck. I want too do a serious detail and finally have the O.K. too use the garage too do so (dads out of town so the tauraus waggon gets the boot outside) yet I still need too wash it first. What do I do?
~Phil
Well I do not have the parent thing, I am the parent with the job, so I have had all i could take after 3 weeks. I washed late in the afternoon. I also QD my wifes truck every other day just to keep it up. I would like it if my kid would take care of his car or truck if not no care or truck in my house. I still have 4 to 5 years before that.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Consider getting some ONR (Optimum No Rinse). I like it a lot better than QEW and Spray & Wipe.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM
I would look for a touch less car wash and do a good detail. Then park it in the garage and use dads Tauraus

Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Find out if you water company fines people for using too much water?

If they don't just pull it on the garage and close the door and wash the truck. The automatic car wash isn't going to even take anything off.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2

I've read nothing but good things about this stuff.... I do like Poorboy's Spray & Wipe as well but find that it's very streaky and might be more of a good quick detailer spray for heavier dust than what you might use a normal QD spray for...

Go with the Optimum.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the reply. I would buy the optimum stuff, but I am as broke as well just say broke right now (with gas up too 3.02 a gallon ) and quitting my job in VA i'm running on E. Its a 300 dollar fine if you get caught...I have to take the truck in tomorrow too get some brake stuff done, and a strange whine in the engine bay (that I posted with no results :-/) So when I pick it up again...i'll just wash it really quickly and pray that no cops are around (or that my nosey neighbors don't say anything...then park the truck kick out the taurus and start the detail. Is it bad too spread out a detail over a couple of days? Because that would be great just too do a 3 or 4 hours at a time over like 2-3 days. I saw RR and Sports detail w/ everything taped off and I just got all giddy about detailing my truck again, I guess before it gets too cold.
~Phil

Last edited by zambonimaxx; 11-06-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
glc
Are the DIY's still open or have they shut them down?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I think only a few of them are left open...others are not I know there is a fairly new one open, but I still don't trust those partly because I know what is done too them. After I go off-roading I always wash down the undercarrige first (and sometimes only the undercarrige and vital parts) with the sprayer and then brush the underside as well. I just don't want underside junk all over my paint.
~Phil

Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
glc
Heck, I won't use the brushes in those joints, but the high pressure spray is pretty safe. They filter the water before they recycle it.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by zambonimaxx
Thanks a lot guys for the reply. I would buy the optimum stuff, but I am as broke as well just say broke right now (with gas up too 3.02 a gallon ) and quitting my job in VA i'm running on E. Its a 300 dollar fine if you get caught...I have to take the truck in tomorrow too get some brake stuff done, and a strange whine in the engine bay (that I posted with no results :-/) So when I pick it up again...i'll just wash it really quickly and pray that no cops are around (or that my nosey neighbors don't say anything...then park the truck kick out the taurus and start the detail. Is it bad too spread out a detail over a couple of days? Because that would be great just too do a 3 or 4 hours at a time over like 2-3 days. I saw RR and Sports detail w/ everything taped off and I just got all giddy about detailing my truck again, I guess before it gets too cold.
~Phil
You can wash the car in the garage with the ONR.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
ok, get the ONR and if you are worried about getting fined for using water in the bucket.....go to the store and buy some gallon of water and keep the reciepts in case someone questions you or you get a ticket.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Quick Reply: Water Restrictions & cleaning...