I need driving lessons... and a good paint remover.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need driving lessons... and a good paint remover.

I just knicked the passenger side mirror as I was pulling into the garage this evening. It left about 3 or 4 streaks of white paint (oil based) on the edge of the mirror. Before I dive into doing something stupid, (twice in this case) what does someone recommend (other than precision driving lessons).

Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Clean it up real good and try some scratchX on it....

My .02

Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by truckonthebrain
I just knicked the passenger side mirror as I was pulling into the garage this evening. It left about 3 or 4 streaks of white paint (oil based) on the edge of the mirror. Before I dive into doing something stupid, (twice in this case) what does someone recommend (other than precision driving lessons).
Must be in the air, this is the second post in 2 days about paint removal.

First off, if this is house paint this is an easy fix. All you need is some laqeur thiner and an old rag. DO NOT BEAR DOWN OR PRESS HARD. Use enough thinner to saturate a part of an old rag and slowly remove the transfered paint.

Once that is off, wash or use a QD to remove the thinner....then use clay to prep the surface, polish as necessary then re wax.

Not before you go run out and do this, please post a photo and tell me if you can feel the transfered paint on the mirror.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 PM

I saw that post too when I was looking for help. I thought I needed something different since it wasn't a painted surface I was working on.

I don't feel the paint on the surface, and it won't come off if I rub it with my finger. It's is oil based house paint, and I just skimmed it slightly as you can see. By the way, what is a "QD to remove the thinner?" and thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by truckonthebrain

I saw that post too when I was looking for help. I thought I needed something different since it wasn't a painted surface I was working on.

I don't feel the paint on the surface, and it won't come off if I rub it with my finger. It's is oil based house paint, and I just skimmed it slightly as you can see. By the way, what is a "QD to remove the thinner?" and thanks for the help.
\

Ah, good catch, not on the paint....that changes things a little.

Let me mill that one over, but do not use Laquer thinner on non paitned surfaces.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
\

Ah, good catch, not on the paint....that changes things a little.

Let me mill that one over, but do not use Laquer thinner on non paitned surfaces.
Indeed, i thought it was ON his paint

Quick Reply: I need driving lessons... and a good paint remover.