Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer

Hi,

I've searched through the threads, and have read some good things about this, but nothing that is "definitive."

I have a black 2004 heritage. I have been spoiling it ever since I bought it 3 months ago. I am only an amateur and do everything by hand, but this is my routine.

Spray off light dirt (never has been "dirty" since I bought it).

Quick detail with mother's qd.

1 coat of zymol cleaner/wax (had this already when I bought the truck, and it worked pretty well alone for a while, but it had no lasting power)

2 coats of nxt tech wax paste (waiting 12 hours between)

I know I will have to clay eventually, but the paint is pretty clean already.

Thing is, I'm "okay" with the shine that I get, but I know there's more in there. Eventually I will buy a kit from ADS, but until then I'm wondering how I can add a little pop with something OTC. I read a couple of posts that said that Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer will do just this, and I'm wondering if you all can back that story.

Thanks a lot

--steve

Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 PM
I will have to agree with UQD adding that final pop to the paint. My 99 F-150 has never looked this good. It just adds that final something to the paint plus water hates it(hydrophobic).

Andrew

Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Pick up a bottle of Aqua Wax at CarQuest auto parts. Spray on and wipe off just like a QD. Here is my friends car after Aqua Wax on top of NXT that was put on a month before.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 AM
DLM
Old 11-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Sleestak
Pick up a bottle of Aqua Wax at CarQuest auto parts. Spray on and wipe off just like a QD. Here is my friends car after Aqua Wax on top of NXT that was put on a month before.
That car looks sweet!

Keep in mind that Duragloss AquaWax is not really the same type product as UQD. I would only recommend using AquaWax (I have some) which is a synthetic wax, on a clean vehicle. The UQD can be used for light dust and general touch-ups (like bird do-do).

Those that like the UQD will be able to buy Meguiar's pro version (called M135 Synthetic Detailer) come January in gallon sizes for $29.00. That is a considerable savings over the 24 ounce size.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh yea... I forgot to mention... I do like the way that UQD maintains/enhances the beading characteristics of the LSP. However, I'm still up in the air on my final verdict. Maybe next spring I'll give it another try. If nothing else, the bottles make great dispensers for other QD's.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like UQD but it falls short of FK1's Poly Slick and UGE from Four Star.

Also, I'll echo Boss's sentiments on using Aqua Wax like a QD spray -- it really shouldn't be. AW is more of a LSP Booster than it is a QD spray as it really doesn't have much lubrication.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Youtube video of Meg's Ultra Quick Detailer and more questions...

Yeah, I was waiting on your opinion, Rockpick. The other stuff you mentioned isn't really available where I'm at, so I went ahead and gave the UQD a try.

I am impressed. There's nothing that I would call drastic, but I would say with it is shinier than without. Also, the water resistance is very impressive. As I said, I did not go through some of the steps many of you here do (claying, polishing, others) but I did do a coat of good cleaner/wax (zymol, the plain blue one) and I did two coats of NXT tech paste, waiting 12 hours between, then I applied the UQD. So I'm wondering, had I gone through *all* of the steps, would the result be as the youtube video below shows??? It's crazy...not sure if it is legit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6yd4r-oGKk

Another question...I know NXT tech is many detailers' standard, so Rockpick, can you categorically say that a coat of UQD over properly applied NXT produces more shine, or am I beating a dead horse with the UQD?

Also, if my paint feels smooth already, would claying still produce a definite better shine, or would it just make it *more* smooth?

I guess the simple question is, holding all other things equal, does claying *always* make for a better shine?

Thanks!

--steve

Old 11-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ackms421
Also, if my paint feels smooth already, would claying still produce a definite better shine, or would it just make it *more* smooth?

I guess the simple question is, holding all other things equal, does claying *always* make for a better shine?

Thanks!

--steve
Claying will not help of the vehicle doesn't need it. That said .. if you have never clayed your paint, then it needs it, and will help.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ackms421
Another question...I know NXT tech is many detailers' standard, so Rockpick, can you categorically say that a coat of UQD over properly applied NXT produces more shine, or am I beating a dead horse with the UQD?
Well... it's tough to tell as different products will yield different results on different colors under different environmental situations.

The judge is you. It's an opinion.

That said, remember that a QD spray isn't necessarily only there for 'pop'. More than that, most of us utilize QD products for slight dusting, a light road spray, pollen, or something very minor.

Thanks!

--steve
Claying shouldn't be done unless you need to do it. Remember, all you're doing with clay is PREPARING the surface for polishing and LSPs - not adding additional shine enhancement or similar.

That said, if the vehicle's finish *does* need to be clayed, removing the bonded 'gunk' that simple washing didn't remove *WILL* help to yield a more clear and optically correct end result.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer