Major screw up... my fault??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major screw up... my fault??

Hey guys,
Finally got all my scratches out of my truck. looks so much better. Took off all my cheap pin stripe (wanna be) stickers. Went to take off my factory crap 4x4 stickers... and the driver side took the paint with it!!

I now beleive this vehicle must of had a fresh coat of paint over that rear driver side quarter panel (the bed)? My thinking is that (maybe an accident?) they re-painted that part, then quickly applied the sticker before letting it completely dry? Pretty P.O'd cuz I bought this thing used, and am finding out more and more lies from the Stealership (told me it has tow package... it doesn't... told me it had 3.73 gears... it has 3.55... etc) What are your guys opinions?? Also, planning on touching the spot up, then just buying new 4x4 stickers and putting them back on. Any better ideas from yall? I appreciate ANY help.
Pic: https://www.f150online.com/galleries...736&anum=14565

Old 11-12-2007, 12:34 PM
That sucks. I had my bed painted and decided a year later to remove the 4x4 sticker with no problems. Hope you can get it fixed cheap.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Not too worried about "getting it fixed" because i do most of my own work (i dont like the idea of someone else messing with my rig) but thanks for the concern! And obviously you brought your bed to a QUALITY profesional... where as the previous owner on this truck took it to some cheap-o place. You can see where there are imperfections in the paint... Oh well!
I was just seeing if anyone has a smarter/ nicer idea? I really just hate the look of a frickin stocker on my truck. Just looks so dam cheap! Any ideas??

Last edited by MercedesTech; 11-12-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, that clear coat looks thick. For the 4X4 emblems, I like the Dodge chrome ones on the tailgate.

Last edited by torkum; 11-12-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard call on if it had paint work on it as different things will affect paint adhesion.

I can tell you this -- it's a very real fact that *MANY* 'new' vehicles get some level of body work when they arrive off of the transports. Between getting the vehicle out of the plant, to the holding lot, on to the transports (trains & trucks) and off of the transports to the stealerships -- well, many get a ding or a severe scratch.

I read a statistic in a trade magazine that I get that mentioned that as many as 25% may actually get *some* cosmetic help once recieved.

My point is that maybe yours got a little extra love before it was sold as new - which, according to the law, is perfectly legal.

I'm not sure I can offer much help as it's obviously going to need some level of TLC to get that blotch taken care of -- and, as such, I doubt I can offer anything 'nice' or 'smart'. It's going to take a respray... unless you'll trust it to someone that MAY be able to colorfill/clearfill that area and wetsand it back to good.

G'luck to ya.

-RP-

Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks a lot RP. Your input is always welcomed over here! Very interesting about the whole transport deal... 25% ay? thats awfully high, but it does make sense. I was planning going the cheaper route, colorfill/clearfill the re-apply another sticker to hide it. Would this work? Also if there isn't a better idea out there, at least a better sticker?
Maybe put some type of "Badge" over it? I dunno, guess i will look around. Again thanks for the help!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just don't know enough about body work (ie: filling that spot) to really make a recommendation. Sorry, bud.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you come out.

-RP-

Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM
I can tell you this -- it's a very real fact that *MANY* 'new' vehicles get some level of body work when they arrive off of the transports. Between getting the vehicle out of the plant, to the holding lot, on to the transports (trains & trucks) and off of the transports to the stealerships -- well, many get a ding or a severe scratch.

I read a statistic in a trade magazine that I get that mentioned that as many as 25% may actually get *some* cosmetic help once recieved.
Working in various ports here in NJ, I have seen this first hand. They also like to test out the brakes and make sure the speed limiters are in place for all the cars that come of those cargo ships. I don't just mean your lower end cars but BMW's, Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, and well you get the hint. I was pretty shocked to see this. Definitely a good chance it had damage and was fixed before it even hit the showroom floor.

I would think a good body shop could fix that for about 200 or so, maybe less. Sounds expensive but it might look better than trying to patch it up. I agree and like the look of a clean (no stickers) truck.

Last edited by Rockpick; 11-12-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Alright, thanks a lot guys! Looks like I will be shopping around to see if I can find a decent deal. I will post a pic once its fixed up.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Putting the sticker back an option?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Ya, it looks like thats what i am doing. I had a buddy come over to do a paint match for me. i guess it is ready, so I will apply the paint, get as good as i can, then just put the stupid stickers back on... . Oh well... are there any nice looking after market stickers I could plop back there or just go regular ole factory 4x4 ?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM
DLM
would putting the stickers back on over fresh paint be the best option for protection? i'd be worried about the paint deteriorating underneath there. how much would paint/clear/sand run you?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I will take the right steps to protect the underneath... but just to sand, paint and clear that one spot... i think it wouldn't look the best so i would have to respray that whole side of my truck... for that little spot.. not worth it to me. I will just sand it down, repaint it... put some clear... and then hide it all with the sticker. (if i am wrong please let me know... i am a mechanic, no where near a body work guy and my knowledge is minimal if that!)

Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I would leave th e4x4 stickers off.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you do choose to sand it down, repaint it, and re-clear it, I'd wait at least 30 days minimum before applying anything over top of it. The paint has to cure. If you put that sticker right over the fresh clear coat, I don't believe it will cure properly, and you'll be back in the same boat again later.

Quick Reply: Major screw up... my fault??