Insulator wax

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After applying to the surface, how long should this be left alone before wiping it off?

BTW, I've seen this stuff locally at Advanced Auto and a nearby NAPA, in fact NAPA is my favorite local source when I need something quick.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'll find this where RockPick says that this stuff is "finicky." If you don't leave it alone long enough, it just kind of smears around. If you leave it on too long, you'll need a chisel to get it off. So what's the right amount of time? It depends on many factors, but temperature and humidity are big ones. At higher temperatures (with lower humidy), it might be only 5 minutes. In lower temperatures (or with higher humidity) it might be 20 minutes. The day I did mine it was about 45 degrees with realtively low humidity. I did one whole side of the truck before being able to go back and start removing the residue. My advice? Wait about 10 minutes and then try a small area.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
I recently used IW845 and it says right on the bottle, wait till a dry haze appears. The key is to put on thinly.

It was very easy to take off in my opinion.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys. Going down to the garage now to give it a try.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Finished the body a bit ago. When you guys say thin, you ought to say think thin, then go 10x thinner. In other words, think Kate Moss and then actually go stick figure. Yikes.

This may help some others down the road. I tried a DF towel for removing on the 1st panel and it didn't work out so well. I switched to my ol trusty yellow Meg's towels and it was leaps and bounds easier. My guess is the shorter nap on the meg's towel works out better. Learn something new every time.

I'll second the statement that it goes on and comes off quite easily, if it is NOT put on heavy.

pics - that's a four letter word right now. Seems when you buy rechargeable batteries someone thinks it's funny to hide them and the power cord but leave half a dozen dead normal batteries lying around.

Quick Reply: Insulator wax