Finally....Investing in a DA Machine

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally....Investing in a DA Machine

Gonna invest in a DA..i just wanted to ask your current opinions on what you think i should get...if you guys had it back to do all over again which machine would you buy?

Ultimate Detailing Machine

G100

With the G110 coming out, an upgraded switch on the UDM coming out..what are your thoughts? I am leaning toward the UDM..i havent had any experience with a DA if that will sway your advice any..please help!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Gonna invest in a DA..i just wanted to ask your current opinions on what you think i should get...if you guys had it back to do all over again which machine would you buy?

Ultimate Detailing Machine

G100

With the G110 coming out, an upgraded switch on the UDM coming out..what are your thoughts? I am leaning toward the UDM..i havent had any experience with a DA if that will sway your advice any..please help!
I think this is going to be a good thread. From our PM chat, I would lean toward the UDM based on the extra power and how the new G110 looks (yikes, it has that "Harbor Freight" look to it. )

Cheers

JP

Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
The UDM is having a lot of quality problems. Ive also heard it vibrates even more then the PC.

I HIGHLY recommend the Flex XC 3401 VRG. This is a lot more powerful then the PC/ UDM, but easier and more user friendly then a rotary. Basically its a cross between a rotary and a DA, its a high speed DA.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
The UDM is having a lot of quality problems. Ive also heard it vibrates even more then the PC.

I HIGHLY recommend the Flex XC 3401 VRG. This is a lot more powerful then the PC/ UDM, but easier and more user friendly then a rotary. Basically its a cross between a rotary and a DA, its a high speed DA.
could it be that the UDM has the wrong counter weight for larger pads?

I had to get new counter weighs for my DA.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 AM
good...i like it...keep em coming

Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Just an FYI, my PC 7424 vibrates like hell too. (you have to center the pad, regarless of DA brand if you don't center the pads, they are going to vibrate)

I use 7" Lake Pads with a 6" counter weight.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The UDM is having a lot of quality problems.
That's what I'm reading as well.

The 'tried and true' G-100 would be my suggestion to you. It's been around for years and years and is more than adequate for 90%+ of home-based users for simple problem removal, LSP application, and general use (heck, you can even polish your bathroom sink-top with it!).

Plus, keep in mind the lifetime warranty... that, to me, is a selling point that most others don't have.

Also, in agreement with RR on the G-110 looking like it's straight out of Harbor Freight or your friendly 'Chinese-made' tool shop. It may be a kick-butt device but, I doubt I'll jump on board unless one shows up at my door without me having previously ordered it.

Lastly, keep in mind that just about any 'dual-action' machine will have vibrations. It's normal. It's moving in two directions and, with it spinning/oscillating a mass, one cannot expect for it to not have *any* vibrations. Pad type (pending it's a 6" or so pad) really won't make much difference as the mass between a LC pad or a Sonus pad or a Meg's pad will be miniscule at best.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Apparently the Flex vibrates, but not nearly as much as the UDM of PC. I havent used the Flex or UDM, but if I ever bought another DA, then it would without a doubt be the Flex. It has the capabilities of a rotary, with the ease of use of a PC.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I have read you cannot run it at speed 6 with the meg's backing plate..is this true? I want enough power to break down a polish fairly quickly...i dont have a lot of problems at all to remove..but it would be nice to not find myself ill-equipped if i ever do..that is why i was leaning toward the UDM...but i buy products based on how long i will be able to use them..after i get comfortable with the G100 i would probably upgrade later...thats why i thought i would skip right ot the UDM as long as i couldnt do more harm than good with common sense first starting out...

Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 PM
From everything I've heard, the Flex is a fine machine, and about as close as you can get to a rotary, without actually getting a rotary. Of course, it is very expensive.

If it were me, I would go with the Flex, or simply by a PC or G-100, and stay as far away from the UDM as possible... and I mean that literally, as parts can come flying off and hurt someone.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by stud_135
I have read you cannot run it at speed 6 with the meg's backing plate..is this true? I want enough power to break down a polish fairly quickly...i dont have a lot of problems at all to remove..but it would be nice to not find myself ill-equipped if i ever do..that is why i was leaning toward the UDM...but i buy products based on how long i will be able to use them..after i get comfortable with the G100 i would probably upgrade later...thats why i thought i would skip right ot the UDM as long as i couldnt do more harm than good with common sense first starting out...
Trust me on this, you will be kicking yourself down the road if you buy the UDM and ever try the Flex or a rotary later on. TRUST ME.

With the PC/ UDM, you must sit there for 3-5 minutes breaking down the polish per every 2x2 or 3x3 section. As a beginner, youll want to work on a smaller area. So do the math, 3-5 min for every 2x2 section. With the rotary or flex, its probably about 3 minutes at most. And with the Flex, you have the capabilities of a rotary.

If you buy the Flex and dont like it, then I might buy it from you.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM
G100. Hurry up and get one before the G110 comes out.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Trust me on this, you will be kicking yourself down the road if you buy the UDM and ever try the Flex or a rotary later on. TRUST ME.

With the PC/ UDM, you must sit there for 3-5 minutes breaking down the polish per every 2x2 or 3x3 section. As a beginner, youll want to work on a smaller area. So do the math, 3-5 min for every 2x2 section. With the rotary or flex, its probably about 3 minutes at most. And with the Flex, you have the capabilities of a rotary.

If you buy the Flex and dont like it, then I might buy it from you.
Not to be an *** but you state above that you never used a Flex, so how sure are you of the capabilities?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I currently have a Cyclo, PC, and a Hitachi rotary. I've really been looking into the new Flex orbital polisher. I've seen a lot of good reviews and it seems like a lot better machine than the UDM.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Juztang
I currently have a Cyclo, PC, and a Hitachi rotary. I've really been looking into the new Flex orbital polisher. I've seen a lot of good reviews and it seems like a lot better machine than the UDM.
Guess I am gonna have to check this Flex thing out.

EDIT:

GERMAN? Are you kidding me? Since the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor, I don't buy German.

(joke)

Last edited by RollingRock; 11-19-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally....Investing in a DA Machine