Wax for chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about the bumpers on my 2007 Scab? are they clear coated? what should I use to polish them and are the running step bars of the same materal?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most "chrome plated" parts - including wheels - are NOT clear coated. The reason? Very simple actually. First, "Chrome" plating is generally more than just chrome. Better chrome plating is a 3 step process involving Copper, Nickel, then Chrome. (Sometimes called "triple chrome.") The actual Chrome layer is usually pretty thin because it's only there for appearance and hardness - which leads us to the real reason it's not clear coated. Generally speaking, chrome is too hard and and not porus enough to get any kind of paint to stick to it. (Just ask anybody who simply painted a chrome bumper.) Another reason most manufacturers don't do it? Cost.

How do you easily find out if you've got it or not? Try a continuity tester. Paint is generlly a pretty lousy conductor. Chrome plating on the other hand...

Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another very simple way to test (because I'm allergic to electrical meters and other items) is to take a tiny little dab of metal polish on the tip of your finger and rub it on the metal...

If your finger turns black - it's uncoated. If you get absolutely no black coloring from the vigourous rubbing, it's coated.

If coated, treat it like paint. If uncoated, proceed with the metal polish.

-RP-

Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=RockPick]because I'm allergic to electrical meters and other items QUOTE]

Hmmm, sounds serious. Any way I can become allergic to, say child support?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Hmmm, sounds serious. Any way I can become allergic to, say child support?

That's between you and the judge. I'm staying out of that one.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Suspended
I've had good luck with 845 on wheels.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
esf
On all the chrome I've ever polished, whether it be with a specific chrome polish or an all purpose polish, I've never had an black residue appear. I thought that was only on aluminum that you got that? Well, I'm sure theres other metals as well, but I didn't think you got any black residue from chrome. Wouldn't that make the dab of polish on the finger test kind of difficult to judge. Then again, maybe I'm just wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

Quick Reply: Wax for chrome?