How Much QD is Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Isn't that the stuff that re-grows hair?
Yes, but not where you want the hair.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 AM
I have the APC+ gallon as well and i diluted to a 4:1 ratio for my tires and i wasnt that impressed for this task..but for the interior that is a way different story (love it)....how would the effects of this be at full strength on factory cleared wheels? I have quite a few tire cleaners and am very concerned ever putting these products on my tires because they inevitably get on my wheels....what are yalls thoughts? Also the D-Line APC description at ADS sounds more to me like APC+....is the APC better for the interior or would it be comparable to SG?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stud_135
how would the effects of this be at full strength on factory cleared wheels?
With a pH of 13.5, I wouldn't let it near anything painted (full strength). While it won't zap clear in a single application, it won't be too long before it causes some ill effects.

High alkalinity products will etch metal. If, by some stretch, you have a slight spot on a wheel where the clear is very thin or a rock chip where the clear was compromised, you're going to emphasize the problem 10 fold.

I have quite a few tire cleaners and am very concerned ever putting these products on my tires because they inevitably get on my wheels....what are yalls thoughts?
Avoid it. Some have made cardboard overspray shields that they'll hold in place while spraying a cleaner on the wheels. Another trick is to wet everything down, spray, and scrub and then immediately rinse (also: hint: if you have a CONCRETE (non-asphalt) driveway, avoid getting any acid-based cleaner on the concrete surface as it will etch! To prevent, make sure the concrete is wet PRIOR to application).

Also the D-Line APC description at ADS sounds more to me like APC+....is the APC better for the interior or would it be comparable to SG?
APC+ is more of an interior product by Meguiar's original design. They've since dumped the APC and APC+ products separately and have gone dedicated to APC+ (mind you, the old D-Line had APC+ and APC -- the new D-Line started with Safe D-Greaser (an APC replacement) and APC+ -- Safe D got discon'd). The 'PLUS' (+) was there because it had a fabric softening component in the mix.

-RP-

Old 11-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by stud_135
I have the APC+ gallon as well and i diluted to a 4:1 ratio for my tires and i wasnt that impressed for this task..but for the interior that is a way different story (love it)....how would the effects of this be at full strength on factory cleared wheels? I have quite a few tire cleaners and am very concerned ever putting these products on my tires because they inevitably get on my wheels....what are yalls thoughts? Also the D-Line APC description at ADS sounds more to me like APC+....is the APC better for the interior or would it be comparable to SG?
As always, RP gave you some great advise and information. Pay close attention to it.

If you are looking for a powerful, but 100% safe APC, may I suggest Aerospace 303 Cleaner (no, not the protectant).

It is expensive, but in my opinion, well worth the price, given it's, cleaning ability, safety, and excellent dilution ratios. Never mind the fact that it's bio-degradeable.

Here's a link in case you are interested...

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=437

BTW, I get mine for about $10 a gallon cheaper.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
Here's a link in case you are interested...

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=437

BTW, I get mine for about $10 a gallon cheaper.
A quote from that link
"303 Aerospace Cleaner is powerful enough to clean oil tanker holds and degrease engines, yet is safe enough to wash fruits and vegetables !"

Consider me a convert.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
A quote from that link
"303 Aerospace Cleaner is powerful enough to clean oil tanker holds and degrease engines, yet is safe enough to wash fruits and vegetables !"

Consider me a convert.
Yep, if you can use plain water on it, you can use that cleaner on it... whatever it is. I use the 10 to 1 ratio mix that I have to clean my hands when I get Tire Gel on them.