How Much QD is Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much QD is Too Much?

I last washed my truck one month ago today. Since then, every few days, I've knocked the dust off with QD. No rain, no mud puddles. Truck is still shiny.

RR posted about product buildup, and I'm just wondering how long I can get away without washing. Not that I mind washing it, but time and weather don't always cooperate.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
I last washed my truck one month ago today. Since then, every few days, I've knocked the dust off with QD. No rain, no mud puddles. Truck is still shiny.

RR posted about product buildup, and I'm just wondering how long I can get away without washing. Not that I mind washing it, but time and weather don't always cooperate.
QD's won't produce build up. My build up was my fault, stacking varous products mixed with some over spray of APC+ etc.

Ryan and I saw streaks of wax breakdown when we oversprayed APC+ on my truck a few weeks back.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
QD's won't produce build up.
I disagree there, RR. Use a common QD like Quik Detailer for several days in a row and you'll begin to notice a haze that looks smeary. The reason is the silcones and the glycol ethers not flashing away completely.

It'll take a few days but, they can yield a build-up to a certain extent, in my opinion.

As for the APC+ overspray, why are you fabric softening your wheel wells and tires? LOL! Quick hint - spray the vehicle down prior to spraying any APC on an exterior area. While it won't eliminate overspray, it'll immediately dilute the light mist of overspray thus causing less to no effects.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I disagree there, RR. Use a common QD like Quik Detailer for several days in a row and you'll begin to notice a haze that looks smeary. The reason is the silcones and the glycol ethers not flashing away completely.

It'll take a few days but, they can yield a build-up to a certain extent, in my opinion.

As for the APC+ overspray, why are you fabric softening your wheel wells and tires? LOL! Quick hint - spray the vehicle down prior to spraying any APC on an exterior area. While it won't eliminate overspray, it'll immediately dilute the light mist of overspray thus causing less to no effects.
THIS is a good thread!!

RP, would it depend on the QD you use? I use pretty much either ONR diluted for a QD or Megs 34. I don't see any build up using either product. When I saw my residue if you will it was b.c I the QW+ didn't set and it was wet and ran, that and coupled with Diesel droplets near one area on my driver side.

As for APC+, that is the product I use to clean my tires, full strength and for me, it yeilds a very good clean base to apply Hyperdressing.

Discuss.....

Old 11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Suspended
I also wonder if the "build up" is due to over application on each use, and/or insufficient removal of the product when being used? Or, if it is actual unavoidable buildup?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 AM
THIS is a good thread!!

RP, would it depend on the QD you use? I use pretty much either ONR diluted for a QD or Megs 34. I don't see any build up using either product.
Not RP, but I would say yes to a degree. Megs 34 does not contain any silicones. (body shop safe) It probably contains glycol esters or alcohol to a small extent, but it's less likely to "build up". The ONR does contain polymers, so there is a possibility of product build up, or that "smeary" look.

Whatever the case, I've also noticed the smeary/streaky appearance when using some QD's frequently, but it does have to be really frequent!

I use ONR in my car wash, and a good Spray Wax in my drying process. Because of that, I tend to use the QD's less and less between washes. I find that the less I QD between washes, the less marring I get in my LSP.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Boss_429
Whatever the case, I've also noticed the smeary/streaky appearance when using some QD's frequently, but it does have to be really frequent!
The silicones will be the likey culprit for the build up (like Boss mentioned). I tend to probably use products that are 'non-body shop safe' more so than I use body shop safe items and thus, my view on the matter may be skewed to that end of the spectrum. God knows I'm skewed...

LOL!

Did I show you my prized stash-o-detailer, Boss?

It's under lock and key!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM
You know, I am teaching SWAT team/Tactical raids on Wednesday... If anybody wants to come join in on the fun, we can borrow the weapons and raid RP's house. The search warrant will be for "contraband"-- uhhh... FINAL DETAIL. All who participate (up to 6) will split the 10 gallons he has.

Now, RP-- what did you say your address was?

Anyway, back OT-- I think that JP hit it on the head when he mentioned the diesel fuel and the APC+ getting on the wax. It will definately make some NASTY lookng buildup... (I was there...)

Also-- RP-- I was doing some more reading about APC+ vs APC vs (some other disc'd Megs product) and it said that APC+ was great for degreasing and general cleaning, and should be used in place of the disc'd product. Also, having used it on JP's truck, I found it to be EXTREMELY user friendly (as long as you dont inhale it, in which case you will need to be on a ventilator for a week...) and very effective. I also liked the "no scrub" properties of it. Granted, it is VERY harsh if that is the case, but in the engine bay, I really enjoy the benefit if being able to spray it on, let sit, then hose off to a SPOTLESS bay, to be followed up with, of course, HD.
--My question about this all: Do you think there would be any long term problems with using this on engine bays, wheels/tires, undercarriage, etc? If yes, PLEASE let me know before I go buy 2387543558608543 gallons of it...

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Moderator &

RE: D12

I've not used it on an engine bay but, what you need to be careful with is the aluminum and other metals in the engine compartment. Many cleaners will have an acid component - or another alkaline component - that will chew through uncoated metal (especially at FULL STRENGTH concentrations! - mind you, APC+ is a concentrate that is meant to be diluted -- the pH is ultra-high @ 13.5 according to the MSDS (keep in mind that the pH scale only goes to 14!))

Old 11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
The silicones will be the likey culprit for the build up (like Boss mentioned). I tend to probably use products that are 'non-body shop safe' more so than I use body shop safe items and thus, my view on the matter may be skewed to that end of the spectrum. God knows I'm skewed...

LOL!

Did I show you my prized stash-o-detailer, Boss?

It's under lock and key!
Yes you did RP... and I'm jealous! I'm down to about a half a gallon.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Boss_429
Yes you did RP... and I'm jealous! I'm down to about a half a gallon.
Want me to show you one more time? HAHAHA! Sorry... I'm kind of giddy about it.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Want me to show you one more time? HAHAHA! Sorry... I'm kind of giddy about it.
Sure, go ahead... rub it in!

I also just used up the last of my Citr-Gel... sad again.

At least I have two gallons of ONR... that makes me happy!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Moderator &

I sold my last gallon of Citri-Gel off to a buddy of mine here in Kentucky. Kind of wish I wouldn't have now... oh well.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I sold my last gallon of Citri-Gel off to a buddy of mine here in Kentucky. Kind of wish I wouldn't have now... oh well.

Isn't that the stuff that re-grows hair?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Moderator &

Isn't that the stuff that re-grows hair?
No... it's a dandruff shampoo. Geesh. Come on man. Get with the times.