The Engine Bay...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Engine Bay...

Ok, I know there is 10 Bazillion Threads on this already, But My case is a little different! Most threads I see, the Motors are just..Grimey and Dusty, Mines Straight up Muddy! Heres a pic, and Please help me out, I have searched for about the last hour and havent found the answers im needing. I made the mistake Of using my power washer on my old truck...Im not doing that again!!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I have the same problem lol caked on mud! I have been debating about just throwing the heat shield out on the hood just because its shot...but how would this effect any of the paint and other stuff? (sorry didn't mean to hijack just a question reguarding the detail of the engine bay)
~Phil

Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 AM
My old Cherokee would get that dirty... I went to a drive through power wash car wash and they had an "engine clean" setting that was a soapy spray but not too high presure. Then I used the light rinse setting of the washer and was good to go. As long as you don't completely hose down your alternator and a few other key electrical places you'll be fine. When I got my 150 it was pretty grimey and used the low power spray and it came out fine too... Just my .02

Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Make sure the engine is warm enough so standing water won't pool up.

wrap all the important things that cannot take water with plastic bags.

pull out your detailing degreaser (waterever is sold on ads that won't hurt the paint). Spray the engine bay with your garden hose. get as much of the mud off you can. Spray the engine bay down with degreaser. Wipe what you can with some old rags. Hose off.

you will most likely get degreaser on the fenders, it will put milky spots on the paint, so wash the whole front clip with some dish soap. Then wax the front clip.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Seeing as how your truck has already gotten the engine bay SOAKED before, I'd say hose it all down (being VERY careful around the electronics), then take a rag to it all and start wiping. Be prepared to spend several hours doing this.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Sucks to be you

Old 11-22-2007, 04:38 PM
just go to town and start washing it down man. i would rinse it all down, then spray some simple green everywhere. let it soak and then scrub it all down with a soapy rag. i have never had an issue but take some care around some electricle parts, such as the batt. and alt. once you get it clean either use a leaf blower or air compressor to blow the water out of the hard to reach places. dry everything down and then you can shine it all back up with something of your choice.

Quick Reply: The Engine Bay...