Help with Motor Home

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Motor Home

I need advice. I am committing mortal sin. I regularly clean up a motor home for a guy. I pretty much just do a good wash, clean up the wheels and chrome, windows, etc. The simple stuff.

..........and I've been using, horror of horrors, the telescoping wash brush he has. I know I'm not doing any favors to the finish by doing so. I've not as yet had the time to do any defect correction, but I will soon. That being the case, I need to find either a non-scratching brush of some sort, or a technique that will allow me to clean up the monster and preserve the enormous amount of time and effort I'm about to spend on making this thing the nicest looking motor home on the road.

It's an Allegro Bus. The big daddy dual-rear axle job. It's friggin' huge.

Any suggestions on products, and most of all, wash devices?

Also, any suggestions on working with the gel coat front portion of the bus?

Thanks ya'll.

Additionally, if you guys will tell me how to post pics, I'll put one up.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:23 PM
You mean you are going to remove all the swirls from a motor home? CRAZY FOOL!!! I hope you have a DA (or better yet, a rotary and a lot of experience)...

As for the brushes, Boars hair brushes are supposedly softer than lambs wool mitts.... Maybe worth a try-- WARNING: Costly expenditure, though.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Megs makes a full line of RV and boat products.

Poorboys also works well on Gelcoats.

Agree, get a DA and LOTS of beer.

I use Megs RV Cleaner Wax and Poorboys on my camper.

Collinite is also highly recommend for its long UV protection, that is after you take care of the surface.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 AM
For gel coats, use Meguiar's Boat Wax. It will work wonders.

I realize that this isn't the best pic in the world, but this was the bow of my boat when I first bought it:

And several coats of Meguiar's later...

Hot chick not included. I used the #49 Oxidation Remover, #45 Pure Polish, and #56 Wax.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
You mean you are going to remove all the swirls from a motor home? CRAZY FOOL!!! I hope you have a DA (or better yet, a rotary and a lot of experience)...

As for the brushes, Boars hair brushes are supposedly softer than lambs wool mitts.... Maybe worth a try-- WARNING: Costly expenditure, though.
But of course, my good man, I am equipped with both DA and rotary, as well as experience using both.

I don't know if you've seen the following sentiment in my other posts, but zero-swirl is generally NEVER my goal. I seek to correct swirl down to a reasonable level, and fill from there.

No, I do not take offense at being called a crazy fool, because in this case, it applies. I am crazy about great finishes!

.............and there are indeed times when the amount of effort to attain said can be considered foolish.

Can you tell me you haven't done the same?

Really, I'm on a mission, as I said earlier, to make this motor home look outstanding. The owner has allowed me to use it. He is a family friend.

Thanks for the brush tip. I'll check that out.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
But of course, my good man, I am equipped with both DA and rotary, as well as experience using both.

I don't know if you've seen the following sentiment in my other posts, but zero-swirl is generally NEVER my goal. I seek to correct swirl down to a reasonable level, and fill from there.

No, I do not take offense at being called a crazy fool, because in this case, it applies. I am crazy about great finishes!

.............and there are indeed times when the amount of effort to attain said can be considered foolish.

Can you tell me you haven't done the same?

Really, I'm on a mission, as I said earlier, to make this motor home look outstanding. The owner has allowed me to use it. He is a family friend.

Thanks for the brush tip. I'll check that out.
ah-- didnt know you had the DA and rotary. That makes a HUGE difference (as you well know). Also, I didnt realize that it was you (Still associating posts' sentiments with names with you) that wasnt after swirl free finish. That also makes a HUGE difference (again, as you know)

BTW-- I am the first to admit that I also am a crazy fool. It takes a crazy fool to want to be a detailer and to spend hours upin hours getting everythign perfect... Like when we remove swirls, dress the undercarriage, etc... We are definately loco...

Good luck, and take LOTS of pics!!!

Quick Reply: Help with Motor Home