Question about waxing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about waxing

hey,
i got a question about waxing my truck
some people say to just use Carnauba wax, or synthetic polish,
but I read somewhere that there is a process to waxing your truck.
I was wondering if you are supposed to start with the clay bar, then use a cleaner wax, then the synthetic polish, and then the Carnauba wax?
And then I heard you have to wait 12 hours after applying the synthetic polish to apply the Carnauba wax?
can somebody please fill me in on how to fully wax your truck to the best shine and protection?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by spitfiresk822
hey,
i got a question about waxing my truck
some people say to just use Carnauba wax, or synthetic polish,
but I read somewhere that there is a process to waxing your truck.
I was wondering if you are supposed to start with the clay bar, then use a cleaner wax, then the synthetic polish, and then the Carnauba wax?
And then I heard you have to wait 12 hours after applying the synthetic polish to apply the Carnauba wax?
can somebody please fill me in on how to fully wax your truck to the best shine and protection?
First, I would recommend that you read the detailing "sticky" at the top of this forum... some great advise in there. Then, come back with any specific questions you may have. You'll get plenty of "right-on" info from a bunch of folks here.

Second, for a brief answer to your question in regards to the "best shine and protection". The answer is really quite simple, although the initial complete process can be somewhat lengthy and time consuming:

1. Your paint must be deep cleaned and smooth - Use the Clay bar and dedicated paint cleaners.

2. You must remove the imperfections as best as possible (swirls, marring, water spots, light scratches, etc.) - Use polishes/swirl removers. This step also helps clean your paint even further.

3. For a truly awesome finish, you need to "micro-polish" or "burnish" your paint - Use ultra fine polishes (IMHO, this is the step that really makes the difference)

3a. Micro polish again if you like.

3b. Micro polish again if you like. (OK, now I'm getting carried away - but I do love this step)

4. You must protect the paint - Waxes and Sealants (There are literally dozens of products that will work fine)

5. You want to maintain the paint - Quick Detailers and/or Spray Waxes, or additional coats of Waxes and Sealants.

In addition, you need to use high quality detailing tools in the process (towels, mitts, applicators, pads, etc.).

If you use the right tools and techniques, and follow through on steps 4 and 5, you will only have to do steps 1, 2 and 3 once a year or so.

Again, it all sounds daunting, but its not... clean, polish, protect and maintain.

Of course, all of the above doesn't matter a lick, if you don't wash and dry your vehicle properly... probably the most important, and overlooked part of the paint care process.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks a lot, but what detailing sticky at the top of the page are u referring to?

Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=309058

Great info from the masters on the board.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot guys,
and Boss 429, if that's your name because you OWN a BOSS 429,
I wish I was you

Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by spitfiresk822
Thanks a lot guys,
and Boss 429, if that's your name because you OWN a BOSS 429,
I wish I was you
Well, a long, long, long time ago I use to detail a Boss 429 and got the chance to drive it on several occasions. Ever since that time, like you, I've always wanted one.

Now I want a Shelby GT-500.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Micro-Polish

Ok so I just bought my PC, Klasse AIO, Klasse Sealant, and Souveran wax. I read the detailing bible,which was great btw, but i had a question on micro-polish. Would the Menzerna Micro Polish be a good one, and the process would be...

Wash, Clay, AIO, Micro Polish, Sealant, than Wax? or is my AIO - Micro Polish flipped?

Or is the Micro needed since I have the AIO? Anyway, thanks for the posts its been great reading and spending money on here

Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by prnsr82
Ok so I just bought my PC, Klasse AIO, Klasse Sealant, and Souveran wax. I read the detailing bible,which was great btw, but i had a question on micro-polish. Would the Menzerna Micro Polish be a good one, and the process would be...

Wash, Clay, AIO, Micro Polish, Sealant, than Wax? or is my AIO - Micro Polish flipped?

Or is the Micro needed since I have the AIO? Anyway, thanks for the posts its been great reading and spending money on here
I will leave this one up to Boss-- he is the one with the knowledge of micro polishes (I am sure RP, 03gt_mustang, and a couple of others do, too, but I certainly dont).

Thanks for the kudos, BTW. Much appreciated.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prnsr82
Yep. They're flipped but, as you alluded, you probably don't need both. If it were mine, I'd go the W, C, MP, S, W route.

AIO stands for 'all in one'. So, in a nutshell, it's a cleaner wax of sorts (kind of -- more of an acrylic wax with a polishing agent -- which, I guess is the same kind of thing as a cleaner wax; with a twist).

Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
clean and waxed truck

Ever notice how a nice clean and waxed truck rides better.

Quick Reply: Question about waxing