Vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum

Need some more advice guys.

I absolutely must upgrade my vacuum capabilities. Hate to spend it, but gotta do it.

I've seen references to the great performance of the Metro Vac n' Blo.

It's a bit pricey, but not prohibitive. Are there any other comparable vacuums out there?

The Metro seems pretty good, but I find it hard to believe that it strongly outperforms other, much less expensive, machines. It is, after all, a small canister vac, and there's only so much room for so much motor. The Metro attachments are a strong selling point, but then I can get a crevice tool attachment kit anywhere.

............and I'm sure the bags are available from..............Metro!

I've had that problem with an Oreck that I use, besides the fact that it no longer wants to pick up pet hair. It's due for retirement.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I had a contractor working on my house last spring, and was using this vac. It worked nicely, so I picked one up on sale at Home Depot for $65 (regular $70). I also picked up the accessory kit for around $20, and the better filter for around $15. It's a Rigid Portable Pro Vac. It has more HP than the Metro, and is powerful enough for me for detailing chores and use around the home. I have a bigger Shop Vac for extreme situations. Of course, it's a wet/dry vac which is a nice feature for light extraction work, and all sorts of chores around the house.

A few of disadvantages/comparisons...

The selection of accessories is no where near what the Metro has.

It's pretty loud.

It's larger and heavier than the Metro. (depending on which Metro you want)

It doesn't have wheels like some of the Metro's. (I don't like wheels on a detailing vac anyhow )

The filter sits close to the bottom of the container. So, you need to keep an eye on the filter and clean it out frequently. Pretty easy to clean though.

Your wife may end up using it more that you.

All in all, I'm pleased with it, and the whole setup only cost me $100. If it holds up as well as my Shop Vac, I'll be very pleased.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just use a bigass wet/dry shopvac. i bought it and all the accessories at lowes.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Suspended
I'm waiting to hear RP's advice on this .. I really need a new vac. I've got a monster of a wet/dry vac but its just too much of a pain to maneuver around to do cars. I'd like to get something a little more compact, I find it much easier to use.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I am no RP but I use this and I love it...i sold my Big **** shop vac in a garage sale to get this one and i couldn't be more pleased. (Lowes) crazy quiet and powerful. Use it almost daily for stuff.

Product link

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...411&lpage=none

Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Suspended
Thanks RR .. I might have to pick one of those up.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I am no RP but I use this and I love it...i sold my Big **** shop vac in a garage sale to get this one and i couldn't be more pleased. (Lowes) crazy quiet and powerful. Use it almost daily for stuff.

Product link

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...411&lpage=none

Thanks. Good idea. Thanks to Boss_429 as well.

I'll have to check those out today.

If you guys need additional attachments, I saw a kit in Wallymart that looks to be good. Small crevice tools and such.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM
this is the one I use. very pleased with it, and it is nice to be able to leave it mounted to the wall.

http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/detail.a...index&StoreID=

Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I just use my home vac, put a shopping bag over the bottom, take it out & vac it down.

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'm waiting to hear RP's advice on this .. I really need a new vac. I've got a monster of a wet/dry vac but its just too much of a pain to maneuver around to do cars. I'd like to get something a little more compact, I find it much easier to use.
with all that height you cant just slide it under & walk around? lol

Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Suspended
I picked up one of the 5 gal/5.5 hp ShopVacs today and have to say it does work GREAT! The plastic bottom is kind of cheesy like a cooler but it's light weight so who am I to complain!? The power cord is pretty long too.

Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
with all that height you cant just slide it under & walk around? lol
LOL .. That'd be much easier but nope it hits the frame rails.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Get one of these puppies & you'll throw away the Craftsman like I did.... extremely quiet yet powerful. A little pricey though... but it's the last shop vac you'll ever buy...

I also use it when sanding drywall with my Porter Cable random orbital (I have the 7336 version with sanding kit.... works great - vac has bag AND filter for HEPA filtration and the auto-on feature works seamlessly - when you turn on the PC, the vac goes on)

http://www.feinus.com/p/NEWdustfree/New-955.htm

Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by MikeF150
Get one of these puppies & you'll throw away the Craftsman like I did.... extremely quiet yet powerful. A little pricey though... but it's the last shop vac you'll ever buy...

I also use it when sanding drywall with my Porter Cable random orbital (I have the 7336 version with sanding kit.... works great - vac has bag AND filter for HEPA filtration and the auto-on feature works seamlessly - when you turn on the PC, the vac goes on)

Kind of expensive don't cha think?

Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by MikeF150

Wow over 400 for a shop vac? You can pick up one that will work great for 100 or less...my choice is ridgid 6.5 Peak HP works great..even does very minor extraction....

Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Wow over 400 for a shop vac? You can pick up one that will work great for 100 or less...my choice is ridgid 6.5 Peak HP works great..even does very minor extraction....
I just got sick of all the noise when using my old Craftsman....it sounded like a leafblower indoors (wonder why the don't advertise dB(A) ratings?) This thing purrs....

Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 AM
I have the vac below mounted on my garage wall with over a 30ft. extension hose.

Works like a dream!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ools&adCell=A3

Quick Reply: Vacuum