Oh boy, here we go.

Putting my seat belt on.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Oh boy, here we go.

Putting my seat belt on.

No joke, man...

think about this: If he was to wetsand every time that he got bug splatter like this-- he would not have a clearcoat 3 months from now... That would be cause for some real worry... As for now, I am calling it etching. Pics would help, though...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
No joke, man...

think about this: If he was to wetsand every time that he got bug splatter like this-- he would not have a clearcoat 3 months from now... That would be cause for some real worry... As for now, I am calling it etching. Pics would help, though...
i thought wetsanding would be his only other option. he's tried everything else, with etching i thought wetsanding was all that's left, but i am no paint expert. one guy said the bounce sheet i have heard of that and try vinegar mixed with water (possibly but i'm not for sure). i know i had such bad water spots i had to wetsand(on a black car).my dad does own a body shop, so i'll ask him for you.

Last edited by bone79; 11-27-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by bone79
i thought wetsanding would be his only other option. he's tried everything else, with etching i thought wetsanding was all that's left, but i am no paint expert. one guy said the bounce sheet i have heard of that and try vinegar mixed with water (possibly but i'm not for sure). i know i had such bad water spots i had to wetsand(on a black car).my dad does own a body shop, so i'll ask him for you.

I would go after it with a abrasive polish and pad with a DA before I went down the WS path. Heck even ScratchX...would prob get it.

Rule #1, least aggressive first.

Remember that the bumpers and painted trim usually have less paint and clear on them so going at them hard is eay to jack em up.

Cheers

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I would go after it with a abrasive polish and pad with a DA before I went down the WS path. Heck even ScratchX...would prob get it.

Remember that the bumpers and painted trim usually have less paint and clear on them so going at them hard is eay to jack em up.

Cheers
good idea

Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Cheers
agreed 100%. 'Nuff said.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
My brother has worked at a body shop for 10 years as a painter/buffer and Im going to get him to look at it Christmas and if it needs wetsanding he will do it, I tried laqure thinner too, no luck

Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
I need a thicker more durable wax, I have been using NXT and aqua wax after every wash. could I swap to doing 2 coats nxt(12 hrs apart) then 2 coats of collinite 845? Then after washing use the Aqua wax? Would this combo be ok? Also is there anything thicker I could use on the bumper besides the collinite?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by knighj1
My brother has worked at a body shop for 10 years as a painter/buffer and Im going to get him to look at it Christmas and if it needs wetsanding he will do it, I tried laqure thinner too, no luck
The lacquer thinner isn't a good idea to use if the paint is etched... let's examine.

If the paint is etched, the clear has likely been compromised. This means that pigment paint could potentially be accessed THROUGH the compromised clear coat.

That said, if the lacquer thinner is able to access the color coat, you could cause serious problems -- problems to the tune of exasperating the problem towards a respray.

If the etch is light (ala: not through the clear), it may be able to be wetsanded to removal but, again, if the clear has been compromised, you DO NOT want to sand it as you run the chance of literally flaking the clear off of the paint.

My suggestion -- a professional very familar with paint systems, paint techniques, and paint products needs to give it a gander if it's bothering you to the point where you feel it *must* be dealt with...

G'luck!

-RP-

Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
How about a pic??

Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
What about clay?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
What about clay?
Originally Posted by knighj1
I have never had something I could not get off my paint on any of my vehicles, but there is a new bug that splatters yellow and instantly stains the paint, over time it will wear off, but I dont want to wait, here is list of products tried.
- Wurth body solvent
- Meguiars body solvent
- claybar
- clean, polish, wax with DA
- goo gone
-bugs b gone
- bug and tar remover(turtle wax and lifter 1 brand)
- acetone
See above.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Take some touch up paint and just go over it.

Quick Reply: Yellow bug will not come off WTF?