Pics of First Detail Job

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of First Detail Job

Hi, Guys. I've been reading a lot of the advice and opinions on this forum and I read the detailing sticky ( thank you f150sport - I think )

Anyway I'm not new to detailing, I just didn't go as far as some on this form (OCD'ers). I've always kept my vehicles clean but never clayed or polished just used Megiuars Cleaner Wax every six months.

So taking some of your advice I ordered some Poorboys products, premium quality MF towels, Lake Country CCS foam pads (hand applied - no DA ) and went to work -- on my wife's car.

So take a look at the before and after pics in my gallery - you can also see just how dirty my truck is right now. Let me know what you think. Helpful comments and suggestions are appreciated! If I figure out how to post pics in the post I wil.

Oh, yea. Heres the process I used: Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo, Meguiars Clay Kit, Poorboys Polish, Poorboys EX-P sealant. I only had time to do one coat of EX-P. Theres a lot more to the process but that is the major products.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by CH2500
Hi, Guys. I've been reading a lot of the advice and opinions on this forum and I read the detailing sticky ( thank you f150sport - I think )
you are most welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

So taking some of your advice I ordered some Poorboys products, premium quality MF towels, Lake Country CCS foam pads (hand applied - no DA ) and went to work -- on my wife's car.
Uhhh... I dont mean to be rude, but why order CCS pads if no DA? Unless you plan on getting a DA (for yourself for Christmas, I hope), this was a waste of $50. A simple MF or foam applicator from Wallyworld will do the trick if everything is dont by hand. NOTE: When I buy from Wallyworld, it is still a Meguiars pad-- I dont chance it...

I will get to the befores/afters in a sec. Have to check your gallery first.

Oh, yea. Heres the process I used: Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo, Meguiars Clay Kit, Poorboys Polish, Poorboys EX-P sealant. I only had time to do one coat of EX-P. Theres a lot more to the process but that is the major products.
I like it. Sounds like a top notch system (hence the Megs/PB combo... My 2 favorites...)

Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
So I just checked out the pics--

First off, I have to commend you on your WONDERFUL lineup of products. I got real jealous seeing some of them...

Second off, I looked at the pics, and it looks like you did a great job. I couldnt tell about swirls-- none of the shots showed their presence or lack thereof, but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Again-- congrats.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM
F-150sport03 - I really enjoyed the detailing sticky and just wanted to thank you for taking the time to put it together - you did the forum a great service.

Also thanks for replying. Now to respond to your post. I did not buy the Lake Country 6.5" DA foam pads. I bought the set of three hand pads available from autogeek - they are about 3"x6" and you get an orange, white, and red pad for around $10. They seemed to work ok, but at the end I had a lot of product left in them. I think I didn't use them correctly i.e. I put too much product on them, but I wanted to give them a shot.

What would you recommend as the best way to take pics of swirls? I'm just learning about the whole pic thing - so any camera angle, lighting, or particular areas to photo would be helpful. I hope to have time to do my F150 this weekend

Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM
F-150sport03 - I really enjoyed the detailing sticky and just wanted to thank you for taking the time to put it together - you did the forum a great service.

Also thanks for replying. Now to respond to your post. I did not buy the Lake Country 6.5" DA foam pads. I bought the set of three hand pads available from autogeek - they are about 3"x6" and you get an orange, white, and red pad for around $10. They seemed to work ok, but at the end I had a lot of product left in them. I think I didn't use them correctly i.e. I put too much product on them, but I wanted to give them a shot.

What would you recommend as the best way to take pics of swirls? I'm just learning about the whole pic thing - so any camera angle, lighting, or particular areas to photo would be helpful. I hope to have time to do my F150 this weekend

I'll answer some of this. Just use a digital camera, doesn't really matter which one, they are all pretty similar. As for photos, the BEST way to show show swirls is to use a shop like and take a close up of the marring. Or in the direct sun light.

Best ways to show gloss....in the shade at angles.

Not really a great example but this is is a way you tell and show

or

cheers

JP

Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the kudos, bud. Glad you enjoyed it

Oh... I didnt know they hade them in a hand applicator...My bad :o Yeah, I find that with applicators- especially larger ones- you get a LOT of product in the pad. It kinda makes me mad, but there is nothing to the best of my knowledge that I can do about this...

Well, RollingRock already answered this one in the same way I would have...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Or in the direct sun light.
... with the sun reflecting directly into the picture...

Here's a 2004 that I detailed recently...

...and also a Sable more recently...

The ultimate swirl revealer = flourscent lighting. Hence the reason I put in several fixtures in my garage. Also, drive out to Wal-Mart and sit under one of their lot lights. It can spook you! That light is TOTALLY unforgiving!

-RP-

Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree with RP as far as lighting goes.
I mounted 4 4' flourscents horizontily on my garage walls, along with a plan to urethane my garage floor white.
We have it here at work and it really brightens up the underbelly of the planes.

Quick Reply: Pics of First Detail Job