Best polish/wax for Oxford white?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best polish/wax for Oxford white?

I have a 04 white Lariat and i have used a wide array of products, mostly Meguiar's, but i was just wondering if there was anything to make the white shine. I have used Mother Reflections top coat, which gave me the best results, but it did not last long. Is there anything better out there or what would be the best process for getting this white to stand out?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Savage120
I have a 04 white Lariat and i have used a wide array of products, mostly Meguiar's, but i was just wondering if there was anything to make the white shine. I have used Mother Reflections top coat, which gave me the best results, but it did not last long. Is there anything better out there or what would be the best process for getting this white to stand out?
On light colors I use Meguiars NXT or Megs #21. The main thing is to prep the surface before hand. Depending on the condition of the paint, a good place to start is Meguiar's #80 and a PC/G100/UDM etc... Clean swirl free paint will shine much better.

Are you working by hand or machine?

Tic

Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
How long did the Top Coat last? I have some on one of my vehicles, and it's holding up rather well. Of course, I have multiple coats on it, and I use Reflections Spray Wax in my drying process, so it's really hard to tell.

Anyhow, on white, I would stay with the synthetic waxes. Like Megs #21 as suggested. Some other synthetic waxes with excellent durability would be Zaino, Klasse, or Duragloss. For the price, Duragloss is tough to beat, and it looks great on all colors. Call it the poor man's Zaino if you 'd like.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 PM
The condition of the paint is great, I clayed it about a week and a half ago. I usually work by hand, I have a PC, but I prefer by hand. The swirling on the paint is minimal.

Boss, I only had one coat of top coat on. Would it be better if I would wash with dawn and start fresh? There is a couple older coats of wax on the truck that I would like to get off anyhow. I was using the 3 step Meguiars, but had results leaving more to be desired.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM
The condition of the paint is great, I clayed it about a week and a half ago. I usually work by hand, I have a PC, but I prefer by hand. The swirling on the paint is minimal.

Boss, I only had one coat of top coat on. Would it be better if I would wash with dawn and start fresh? There is a couple older coats of wax on the truck that I would like to get off anyhow. I was using the 3 step Meguiars, but had results leaving more to be desired.
You might have had better results starting fresh, but it's hard to tell. The Meguair's 3 step might leave behind some of Meguiar's oils and carnauba. That wouldn't be the best surface for a polymer/carnauba like Top Coat to bond to.

If you are going to start over, I wouldn't go the Dawn route. There's really no need to use it. If you want to continue with the Mother's stuff, I would recommend a coat of Mothers Reflections Car Wax first. It has light cleaning abilities, and should remove most of the stuff on the paint for a better bond for Reflections Top Coat. If you want to insure that the paint is really clean, I would recommend Mother's Pre Wax cleaner, or use your Meguiar's Step one. Then the Reflections Car Wax, then Top Coat.

As an example, I have one of my vehicles done as follows...

Mothers Pre Wax Cleaner (via PC)
Mothers Power Polish (via rotary - also works great with PC)
Menzerna Final Polish II (via rotary - also works great with PC)
Reflections Car Wax
Reflections Top Coat (multiple coats)
Reflections Spray Wax - during my drying process (latest version is WIWO with no wait for hazing)

Needless to say, I'm pleased.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll throw my hat in the ring on this.

I called Zaino last year and asked them how their product would work on white and honest to goodness the guy told me, "its ok on white but you need to put several coats on it"

That didn't give me a lot of confidence, but I know the Zanio stuff is good. There are many there that love it.

I use a DA and have all white trucks and cars until my new KR. To this day I love Poorboys on white.

If starting over I would recommend this:
Clay
SSR1 (you said light surface marring right?) or skip this step
PB's Pure Polish or PB Polish with Sealer (PwS)
PB-EXP-you can skip this if you use PB PwS
and to top it off, Collinite 845 on top of that or PB Natty's Wax, White or Blue can.

And yes photos.

Edited Post
MaxTorgue02 has the best looking white truck I have ever seen.

Here is a post I dug up.

RockPick
I'm a BIG fan of Collinite 845 Insulator on White -- been using this stuff for several years and continue to enjoy using it (hint - thin thin thin thin thin coats!!)

Clearkote's Vanilla Moose is also a favorite but will fall short on durability.

Here's a snip it from MaxTorque02's Navi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque02
I've had really good luck with Meguiars #82 followed by Clearkotes Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze and topped with Poorboys EX P. I've also used S100 as a topper without the EX P and also on top of the EX P. You don't get the depth of a dark colored car, but you can get a really nice shine.

Last edited by RollingRock; 11-28-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 PM
RR-- you beat me to it. That was the post I was going to dredge up...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock

If starting over I would recommend this:
Clay
SSR1 or SSR2?
PB's Pure Polish
PB-EXP
P21s or collinite 845?

This was the boat I was in, is why I asked and ended my thread b/c of this one.

I changed your mix, would this be ok?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by knighj1
I changed your mix, would this be ok?
your post has me a little confused.

It almost looks like I offended you? Did I? Hope not, just trying to help...

What is this from?
This was the boat I was in, is why I asked and ended my thread b/c of this one.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
No, no offense at all, I changed your above mix in this post to what I was thinking about using.

I want to use the poorboys>wolfgang, but I have some duragloss leftover from when I did my wifes detail, but cannot remeber the order and the time to wait in between each coat to save my life, I have searched all day 3 forums with no luck. This is why I was looking into a new brand

Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 PM
No, no offense at all, I changed your above mix in this post to what I was thinking about using.

I want to use the poorboys>wolfgang, but I have some duragloss leftover from when I did my wifes detail, but cannot remeber the order and the time to wait in between each coat to save my life, I have searched all day 3 forums with no luck. This is why I was looking into a new brand
Ok for the purpose of this thread:

Clay
SSR1 or SSR2? (yes pending the condition of the paint, but a photo would be helpful) you may not even need this step)
PB's Pure Polish
PB-EXP
P21s or collinite 845? (either, I think the 845 is probably more durable)

The above should yield some great results.

EDIT: I noticed you are not the OP, so i am confused.

Last edited by RollingRock; 11-28-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
paint is not that bad, just a few little issues I noticed with a flash light at night, never saw them before then. Im going to keep searching for the Duragloss thread since I have this and would not have to wait for it to come in, but if I cant find the post tonight Im ordering the mix above.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
paint is not that bad, just a few little issues I noticed with a flash light at night, never saw them before then. Im going to keep searching for the Duragloss thread since I have this and would not have to wait for it to come in, but if I cant find the post tonight Im ordering the mix above.
you might think about starting a new thread with your questions. Unless you too have a white truck. If so, cheers

JP

Old 11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I do if not I would not have hijacked his/her thread, I just figured one thread to anwser 2 peoples quetion is better than 2 threads

Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I do if not I would not have hijacked his/her thread, I just figured one thread to anwser 2 peoples quetion is better than 2 threads
Roger, polish away....and make sure you post befores and afters or we'll send people for you.

Seriously, well not really, sort of.

Quick Reply: Best polish/wax for Oxford white?