polishing over wax?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polishing over wax?

is ok to apply a coat of polish after waxing? i cleaned up the truck two weeks ago and thought a coat of polish would make it pop a little more, but i didn't know if the polish would hurt the wax job at all.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
is ok to apply a coat of polish after waxing? i cleaned up the truck two weeks ago and thought a coat of polish would make it pop a little more, but i didn't know if the polish would hurt the wax job at all.

if you do this you will need to wax again. you will take the wax off with polishing, especially if you use a pc or something similar. if you want it to pop again go with a good wax, or sealant with carnuba. or maybe even a good spray on wax. i personally like poorboys nattys blue hand wax, or poorboys ex

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Generally speaking, you're either going to be doing it for little to no long term 'pop' or, depending upon the polish, you're going to remove the wax by polishing and will have to start back at square #1.

If using a pure polish, you may note some deepening of the finish but, it'll likely be short-lived because the wax that is already on the paint will prevent the polishing oils and such from really doing much.

Whereas, if you're using a mildly abrasive or chemically aggressive polish/cleaner, you're going to remove much of the base wax that was there prior to starting thus eliminating the protective last step product.

So, the short answer is, "no". You're really not going to gain anything by adding a 'polish' into the mix at this point unless you're willing to start over.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
gotcha.

kinda sucks b/c after i was done, most of the scratches/swirls were barely noticeable. now after a few washes, they're back, but not as bad. this is on a black truck btw.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What product were you using to:

1) Wash (include method (mitt? sponge? material?))
2) Products that were used that seemingly 'hid' the swirls.
3) Drying products and method used (blotting, wiping?)

I'm wondering if you're reintroducing the swirls with your wash procedure or, maybe, that they were simply concealed after your last detail.

-RP-

Quick Reply: polishing over wax?