First DA Detail...Something bad happened

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First DA Detail...Something bad happened

Hey guys..i just finished up a 2 day detail of the beast with my G100..pics to come..sorry its dark..but seriously it took me 15 hours to do the following....

Wash
Clay
Megs 80
Megs 9
Chemical Guys Mirror Finish
Poorboys EXP Sealant
Megs 26

I am exhausted but it looks good i think...but i did run into a problem...i got halfway through with a green lake country light cutting pad and i felt something going wrong..i took the polisher off the paint and the pad flew OFF!!! thank god it wasnt on the paint cuz i woulda torched it! What did i do wrong...i was using it on speed 6 after spreading the polish on 3....i finished the detail with a white with 80 and then a white with 9...i was disappointed because i had a few scratches i couldnt get out (i was 2nd owner..but only 3000 miles when i bought the truck) i just want to know what i did wrong because i had no problems from then on..but i did back off to 5 for the rest of the corrective process..i will snap a few photos in the morning..i dont think it has ever looked this good...thanks for all your help...let me know what you think about the situation please!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Suspended
I don't know of anything that should be applied at speed six, maybe RR or RP could shed some light on this. I only use 4 for #80 and 3 for waxes.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I had to use (duck and cover) speed 6 with a RED cutting pad with PB SSR 3 on my truck once... It was REALLY bad (yes, this was the one I did with RR)

I honestly have no idea what you did wrong. Pushing down hard??? Bad velcro?

BTW-- I dont think you should use that high of a speed unless ablsolutely necessary... just a safer option to use a lower setting, that's all...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Which lake pad?

Green VC or CCS?

Did the backing plate come of too or just the pad.

And as for speed 6, it's should only be used when really necessary per Ryans post.

Since none of us were with you, hard to say what happened.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pad cheat sheet... while this cheat sheet refers to Meg's pads, you can back-figure whatever the LC equivalent is and go from there. The speeds for the individual Meg's products (and LSPs, for that case) will remain the same.

You'll note, "6" isn't used. It's really going to accomplish nothing over "5", with the exception of flinging the pad -- as you learned.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Pad cheat sheet... while this cheat sheet refers to Meg's pads, you can back-figure whatever the LC equivalent is and go from there. The speeds for the individual Meg's products (and LSPs, for that case) will remain the same.

You'll note, "6" isn't used. It's really going to accomplish nothing over "5", with the exception of flinging the pad -- as you learned.
Ryan will attest to this...that chart is taped on the inside of my detailing cabinet in the garage. I suggest anyone reading this post, print it off and keep it with you.

Learn it, know it, live it. (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I laminated one at work and have it on my wall in my garage. It really is a nice reference.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys i appreciate your help..and this makes sense because i then felt scared because i was worried it would fly off and i would not move away in time...i backed it down to speed 5 and had no problems as i mentioned earlier..but this was my first time to use a machine so i guess it could be expected to almost mess my shorts. Live and learn i guess...speed 5 is all i will use from now on...and lord was it easier hahaha my arm about fell off tryin to control it....how about the 15 hour duration...i mean how long does it take you guys to do the above steps? i figure i will get faster with time but i had plenty of time to get it done and it IS done right..hopefully the pics i post in the morning will reflect that...as always fellas i tip my hat for the great advice....

Old 12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Thanks guys i appreciate your help..and this makes sense because i then felt scared because i was worried it would fly off and i would not move away in time...i backed it down to speed 5 and had no problems as i mentioned earlier..but this was my first time to use a machine so i guess it could be expected to almost mess my shorts. Live and learn i guess...speed 5 is all i will use from now on...and lord was it easier hahaha my arm about fell off tryin to control it....how about the 15 hour duration...i mean how long does it take you guys to do the above steps? i figure i will get faster with time but i had plenty of time to get it done and it IS done right..hopefully the pics i post in the morning will reflect that...as always fellas i tip my hat for the great advice....
I washed, clayed (all of it), #9, and #26 my F - 250 Ext Cab Long Bed in 6 - 8 hours.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
One other thing is don't let the pad become completely saturated with product. When it gets to the velcro glue and the backing plate warms it up, it will cause the pad to go flying. I usually use 4 to 6 pads when compounding a truck. I change backing plates to about half way just in case it's getting to warm as well. Clean pads will work much faster.

Tic

Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
How long does it take? Well that depends on how dirty it is and much marring I have.

For deep cleaning and detailing, takes me 15-20 hours. If I go fast and cut that in half.

Remember once a hard core detailing is done, you need to maintain it until it needs to be done again. That time frame is all dependent on how the surface holds up, wax duration, conditions, blah blah blah.

Washing and claying are the long steps for me. Its an F250....more surface to deal with and its hard for me to reach so I have to deal with ladders etc. Makes it take longer. I can clay the truck top to bottom in 2 hours.

Then tape off trim
polish steps (depends on condition) Since I use mostly Poorboys, I have multi steps, SSR's, Polish, Sealer etc. (this is the bulk of my time)
LSP is the quickest part for me. 1 hour.

Then windows, trim, dressing, undercarriage, QD

Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
At least you can still detail your truck, I am going to have to wait until spring.

As far as the amount of time you spent, you will get much faster the more practice you get. Also you tackled a big job on your first go. I did the same thing, wash, clay, 83,80,21 on my first detail with my PC7424. It took a long time but came out with good results. You will get faster and better results as you get more experience with the DA and with the products you are using.
Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Last edited by JMBdevotee; 12-06-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by JMBdevotee
At least you can still detail your truck, I am going to have to wait until spring.

As far as the amount of time you spent, you will get much faster the more practice you get. Also you tackled a big job on your first go. I did the same thing, wash, clay, 80,83,21 on my first detail with my PC7247. It took a long time but came out with good results. You will get faster and better results as you get more experience with the DA and with the products you are using.
Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Not to be picky but is that the samething as a PC7424? And one question, why would you 83 after 80?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Not to be picky but is that the same thing as a PC7424? And one question, why would you 83 after 80?
Sorry... Fixed.
Apparently my attention to detail while multi tasking skills could use some work.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by JMBdevotee
Sorry... Fixed.
Apparently my attention to detail while multi tasking skills could use some work.
Figured that but just making sure in case the new one came out with the kick **** OS that I had to have. I guess I will just update the Firmware.

So about the second question. You did or didn't do 83 after 80?

Quick Reply: First DA Detail...Something bad happened