New Used Truck--Need Some Detailing Tips..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan, Brian

Lets keep an eye on the weather. But F150Sport is avialble on Sunday if we need to get it knocked out.

My plan would be for Brian to have it washed and clayed, then bring it over to the house on Sunday and we'll do a driveway detail since your rig won't fit in my garage.

Brian, do you think you can get it washed and clayed?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Ryan, Brian

Lets keep an eye on the weather. But F150Sport is avialble on Sunday if we need to get it knocked out.

My plan would be for Brian to have it washed and clayed, then bring it over to the house on Sunday and we'll do a driveway detail since your rig won't fit in my garage.

Brian, do you think you can get it washed and clayed?

I'm on it like a fat chick on a cupcake! I will have it washed and clayed for sure. I can work with the cold (rather not) but the rain may cause a problem.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
I'm on it like a fat chick on a cupcake! I will have it washed and clayed for sure. I can work with the cold (rather not) but the rain may cause a problem.
It won't be cold on F/S/S but cool. I'd say, we need to wait until around 10 to start. We'll QD it again and tape it off and wetsand the crap out of that thing.

Fri
Dec 14

Partly Cloudy
56°/40° 20%
56°F
Sat
Dec 15

Sunny
57°/33° 10%
57°F
Sun
Dec 16

Partly Cloudy
58°/41°

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Weather looks good.

And don't toy with me. I still am uneasy with the idea of going very abrasive on the paint I think I may need therapy after seeing the truck without any shine to it after the first step

Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 PM
[Insert string of curse words here]

Shucky Durn... Something came up, JP, Check email (priakos.com one).

It goes without saying that I am pissed because something had to come up just when I was getting excited about doing a detail...Freaking H.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I got the truck washed and mostly clayed today. Holy cow, paint feels great! I never would have thought it could feel that much smoother. It did leave some light swirling in a few places, I guess this is to be expected as I could hear the grit grinding away, some of it no doubt rubbing on the paint. Weather pending, are we still on for Sunday I hope?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I got the truck washed and mostly clayed today. Holy cow, paint feels great! I never would have thought it could feel that much smoother. It did leave some light swirling in a few places, I guess this is to be expected as I could hear the grit grinding away, some of it no doubt rubbing on the paint. Weather pending, are we still on for Sunday I hope?
I would hope you didnt induce any swirls-- it shouldnt if you kept it properly lubed, kept kneading the clay, and didnt use dropped pieces... I would be willing to bet that you probably removed some of the masking elements of whatever was there before you clayed, thus you discovered what was already there (but hidden)

As for Sunday, I am out... And pissed about it. (see my prev. post...)
I do hope that you guys have fun and get some stellar results

Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
I would hope you didnt induce any swirls-- it shouldnt if you kept it properly lubed, kept kneading the clay, and didnt use dropped pieces... I would be willing to bet that you probably removed some of the masking elements of whatever was there before you clayed, thus you discovered what was already there (but hidden)

As for Sunday, I am out... And pissed about it. (see my prev. post...)
I do hope that you guys have fun and get some stellar results
This is a great post by Ryan that really does say a lot. Brian mentioned some of the products he used and they do have some "filling" properties. So we get them taken care of.

Ryan, think we can hook up on the DA? No pads.

And to Brian, yes we are on for now and you sir are getting a crash coarse in using a DA. Sunday is looking good but its going to be a cool morning. So lets not start until like 10 or 11 pending temps. Lets keep in contact over the next few days and watch the wather, it could change. you know Texas.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I'm guessing that the slight swirling may be a result of some of the filler in the #9 I had used being removed. I kept the paint very well lubed at all times, never dropped the clay (but just in case, cut the bar in half before I started, Thanks for the tip Jason!) and turned it pretty regularly. It is now 12:30 and I just finished the truck. I even did some areas twice. Paint feels super-smooth. I hope driving it (and possibly in the rain) over the next two days doesn't cancel out my work before getting any kind of sealer on there. I am pretty excited (read: very excited!!) so won't be wussing out due to the cold. Just hoping it doesn't rain Sunday and put a damper on things.....

*keeping fingers crossed*

Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock

Ryan, think we can hook up on the DA? No pads.
Yeah-- I will put it in the truck this morning and will give you a call tonight. I hope you are availible tonight for me to drop it off. We will arrange a MTG point via telephone... Time for me to get my day started.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Yeah-- I will put it in the truck this morning and will give you a call tonight. I hope you are availible tonight for me to drop it off. We will arrange a MTG point via telephone... Time for me to get my day started.
What? You must be putting in half days, been sitting in my office in Irving since 5:30 am.

gearing up for a meeting starting at 7 til 7 pm. Yeah I will be needing a drink after this day.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Hmmm.... Half days? No. You just work 2 days in every 24 hours... I work a "long day" at all of 11 hours... You work like a maniac in all of your 23.999999 hours per day (taking the other .000000001 to QD your truck really fast...)...

See you tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:16 PM
I drove the truck in the rain yesterday and today, it will definately need to be washed again. Hopefully it won't need to be clayed again, though. Weather says Sunday will be cold but dry. Can't wait!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I drove the truck in the rain yesterday and today, it will definately need to be washed again. Hopefully it won't need to be clayed again, though. Weather says Sunday will be cold but dry. Can't wait!
I was kind of hoping that you hadn't clayed it until today....driving in the rain these past few days could attract a lot of contaminates. if it were mine...I would wash and reclay it. But know that's a lot of work. So weather permitting we may have to do that. This creates a time issue for me. Its going to be crazy cold tonight...so the temps will take a while to warm up on Sunday.

Send me a PM

Old 12-15-2007, 06:33 PM
pm sent. Sure is cold out there, but I'm hopeful still...

Quick Reply: New Used Truck--Need Some Detailing Tips..