New Used Truck--Need Some Detailing Tips..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Used Truck--Need Some Detailing Tips..

Just got a new-to-me used truck and honestly, the paint needs a little work to get it up to my standards. I bought my last truck new and always took the best of care of the paint so never had to do anything more extreme than using #9 polish and a good synwax. The new truck definately has the potential to be cleaned up to where I want it, just need some help getting there. It does have some pinstriping from trees and branches where the previous owner had taken it off road. Nothing extreme that you can feel with a fingernail, but it definately needs a little work. The paint was swirled everywhere as well, but I took my #9 to it and removed most of the swirls and hologram effect, although it still has some swirling that #9 alone will not take care of. I have been reading about #80 and #83 polishes, but it is becoming apparent I might want to look into getting a buffer/polisher that I have seen referred to as a PC. What does this stand for, and where do I get one. What kind should I get? I know next to nothing about polishers other than one must be careful with them. I have never used anything other than microfiber towels to apply/remove polish and wax. What kind of pads do these polishers use? Also, the truck has several rock chips down the side from the tires, any way to keep polish and wax out of those? Should I go through the effort of touching them up with touch-up paint? Any insight to a somewhat noob is very much appreciated!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
Just got a new-to-me used truck and honestly, the paint needs a little work to get it up to my standards. I bought my last truck new and always took the best of care of the paint so never had to do anything more extreme than using #9 polish and a good synwax. The new truck definately has the potential to be cleaned up to where I want it, just need some help getting there. It does have some pinstriping from trees and branches where the previous owner had taken it off road. Nothing extreme that you can feel with a fingernail, but it definately needs a little work. The paint was swirled everywhere as well, but I took my #9 to it and removed most of the swirls and hologram effect, although it still has some swirling that #9 alone will not take care of. I have been reading about #80 and #83 polishes, but it is becoming apparent I might want to look into getting a buffer/polisher that I have seen referred to as a PC. What does this stand for, and where do I get one. What kind should I get? I know next to nothing about polishers other than one must be careful with them. I have never used anything other than microfiber towels to apply/remove polish and wax. What kind of pads do these polishers use? Also, the truck has several rock chips down the side from the tires, any way to keep polish and wax out of those? Should I go through the effort of touching them up with touch-up paint? Any insight to a somewhat noob is very much appreciated!
First off, check out the sticky and the search function...

Second off, PC=Porter cable 7424 = DA= Dual Action ---Based on what you have given us so far, I would say you should go ahead and get one. Where? HERE is a GREAT place. (ADS)

also, there is another thread about a very similar topic going on right now-- you might wanna check that one out...

And yes, I would get some touch up paint for your truck if I was you.

The rest of the information can be found using the search feature and the sticky. (for pad info, search.) BTW-- you sound like you are on the right track by only using MF towels. (Now I am curious to see which kind you are using...)

Anyway-- sorry for the cop-out answer, but I simply cannot type those 4-post responses to these kinds of questions every time anymore...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks,
and I have been using the search and read the sticky, but haven't come up with specific answers yet. I know they are out there, but it wll take some more searching. Is there a sticky of how to properly use a PC and what pads to use for what application somewhere? I used to frequent this forum quite often and read a lot on stuff like this but can't quite remember much of it. Thanks for the link, too. I'll order one up here pretty soon.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Hmmmm.....N. Texas eh?

I love a challenge.

EDIT

Your truck? Where are you located?

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-05-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I am in North Richland Hills. I see you are in Keller, I'm about a mile from the NRH/Keller county line. I would *LOVE* an expert's opinion on the project. Truck is Dark Shadow grey. The F-150 you posted is myt last truck. The paint on that truck was *PERFECT*. The new truck is a step back as far as the overall shape of the truck, but like I said it has potential and is way cool to drive. In addition to getting the paint cleaned up, I need to find a good PDR guy to pull out a couple dents. Here are some pics:

Last edited by Brian 5.4; 12-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I am in North Richland Hills. I see you are in Keller, I'm about a mile from the NRH/Keller county line. I would *LOVE* an expert's opinion on the project. Truck is Dark SHadow grey, here are some pics:

I take it then that other F150 is your old truck?

Ok, I am no expert or pro....but I know a little.

I would like to see it. I am working from home on Thursday...you around during the day? Say around 12-1 pm?

Another EDIT: WHOWA where did you get the 08 SD mirrors? SWEEEEEET

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-05-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
oohhh... I like your truck... pending I can get away from all the crap I have to get done now, I would LOVE to help out...(Yes, JP-- I know I still need to come work on yours, too)

I am not too far from either of you guys, so this may be a possible meet up sometime...

I dont have specifics on DA usage in the sticky-- that will likely be in v2. RP is doing v2, so whenever he can get away from his desk for awhile (and not have too many chores at home between the wife and kidlet), you will have more info. Alternately, JP and myself might be able to help you out.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
oohhh... I like your truck... pending I can get away from all the crap I have to get done now, I would LOVE to help out...(Yes, JP-- I know I still need to come work on yours, too)

I am not too far from either of you guys, so this may be a possible meet up sometime...

I dont have specifics on DA usage in the sticky-- that will likely be in v2. RP is doing v2, so whenever he can get away from his desk for awhile (and not have too many chores at home between the wife and kidlet), you will have more info. Alternately, JP and myself might be able to help you out.
No no no young squire. My truck is done, remember you were too busy....your payback is on the wife's car. Photo in sig is the new detail with the 845.....

Here it is again.....after 20 hours of work

Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I would like to see it. I am working from home on Thursday...you around during the day? Say around 12-1 pm?

I don't have class tomorrow (college) but I go into work at 3, have to leave the house by 2. But yes, I will be here around 12-1 and would appreciate it beyond words if you could take a look at the truck and see what you think is possible. Give me a call tomorrow if you want to meet up. I am a half mile from the Wal-Mart on Davis and North Tarrant. Brian 817.366.9731

Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't have class tomorrow (college) but I go into work at 3, have to leave the house by 2. But yes, I will be here around 12-1 and would appreciate it beyond words if you could take a look at the truck and see what you think is possible. Give me a call tomorrow if you want to meet up. I am a half mile from the Wal-Mart on Davis and North Tarrant. Brian 817.366.9731
That is a good location for me too. I can be up there in about 10 min from the house.

I have a QTR review at 10:15 and prob done by noon, so I could meet you up at Wally World at Davis and N. Tarrant Near the the corner of the lot, close to Murphy Oil.

I will send you a PM with my cell.

JP

Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
No no no young squire. My truck is done, remember you were too busy....your payback is on the wife's car. Photo in sig is the new detail with the 845.....

Here it is again.....after 20 hours of work
Either way, I will still return the favor. (likely with interest...I have not forgotten what goodies you sent me home with...)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Either way, I will still return the favor. (likely with interest...I have not forgotten what goodies you sent me home with...)
Ryan, I met with Brian today to check out the truck. Its a drive way detail b/c this beast won't fit in the garage.

I was thinking next Sunday (a week from this Sunday), told him to wash and have it clayed then we would go at it.

EDIT

Here is the link to some of the scratches on Brian's truck. The color is great and he has done a great job of getting it to what it is now....all by hand. OUCH. http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Brian%20F250/

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-06-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Jason, thanks for meeting up with me. I'm really excited about getting the truck cleaned up this weekend! Like shown in those pics, most of the scratches are below the body moulding. Scratches down on the rockers aren't usually all that noticable, but the rockers are almost at eye level on the truck so they do stand out more haha! Along with those posted there is still some light swirling on the whole truck that could used being tended to. After that and having a couple dents pulled out (anyone know a good PDR guy), the truck should look way better.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 PM
hey Brain 5.4,

If you order your pc from ADS get the pc how to video from them. It features Mike Phillips of Meguiars and he goes over virtually everything you need to know about using the PC and many extra little things. When I got the video I was using my PC for about 3 years and I learned may new things about its use and it even helped me fix some problems I was having with my technique with the machine. Good luck with the truck and with the help you will be getting from the other members.

Andrew

Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Ryan, I met with Brian today to check out the truck. Its a drive way detail b/c this beast won't fit in the garage.

I was thinking next Sunday (a week from this Sunday), told him to wash and have it clayed then we would go at it.

EDIT

Here is the link to some of the scratches on Brian's truck. The color is great and he has done a great job of getting it to what it is now....all by hand. OUCH. http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Brian%20F250/
Sweet. Sounds like a plan-- check email.

Quick Reply: New Used Truck--Need Some Detailing Tips..