clay bar info plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, that's one shiny turd. Nice work on it. Prob took you 1/4the time it take you to do your truck. lol

Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
I will fax the oem document to anyone who wants it-

Post on here and send a pm also.

I'd love to see it. Fax at will. 816-842-2828
Attn: Sean

If this is legit I'll scan it and post it after I get it. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Heh - I already suggested he scan and post it and offered to do it for him if he doesn't have the technical ability. No response, and he's been posting here since. Don't hold your breath.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
I know this is a clear case of "You can polish a turd but all you end up with is a shiny turd." LMAO but. This was the one and only time in the last few years I've worked with a single stage paint. I did clay and it worked great. It did trash the claybar though. Was doing a family friend a favor for his elderly mother. This was also by hand before I owned a DA.

great job? what did u use? my dads 87 red ranger looks faded like that and i tried claying it but it was just make it smooth and didnt get rid of the faded look. but ended up waxing it anyway.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 AM
glc
That's all clay does - removes embedded contaminants and makes it smooth. You then have to use the appropriate products and techniques to correct the paint issues.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM
i just waxed my truck yesterday...i forgot to use the claybar it came out great but i can still feel tiny little bumps you can say.Can i still use the claybar even though i just waxed my truck? i was thinking to use the clay bar then just put another coat of wax..oh and i use the megs gen nxt wax is there something that will give me a higher gloss look (wet look)

Old 09-21-2008, 12:34 PM
glc
Yes, you can clay it now. That will remove the wax and you will have to redo it. To give it more "pop", you can use a pure carnauba wax over the NXT, the darker the color, the better that will look.

Have you read the detailing sticky yet?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Here is the doc that was faxed to me today...

Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by novsun88
Here is the doc that was faxed to me today...

1995-6 huh? Looks like it came from Finish Care Inc.

Thought he said this was to be from Ford manuals?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
glc
That does not tell you IN ANY WAY that you should not use clay. It only says that clay does not completely remove contaminants. It also says that color sanding, buffing, or compounding won't completely remove them either. It also says that Ford doesn't recommend the use of acid washes either.

RR, I think that is in fact out of an old Ford body service manual. Ford is just recommending Finish Care Inc. as a vendor for those decontamination chemicals. I can't find any info online about that company.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
RollingRock/ glc - I agree with you both. A 12 yr old document is not solid grounds to say Clay Bars are unsafe. Just wanted to show you what he was rambling about!
Sean

Old 09-24-2008, 07:25 PM
RollingRock/ glc - I agree with you both. A 12 yr old document is not solid grounds to say Clay Bars are unsafe. Just wanted to show you what he was rambling about!
Sean
I don't see where it says it's "not recommended by Ford" as advocated by the poster...it just says it doesn't completely remove the "X"...and I don't disagree with that.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
This total bs beechkid....you have posted this before and you could never show proof....your post is not correct....if you have something of real value to offer post it but until then keep comments like off this section....I am using my blackberry right now to post...when I get back to my office I will dig up your old post to prove you wrong again.....to the op please dismiss beechkids comments he doesn't know what he is talking about
Please be advised, I faxed a copy of an OEM service document related specifically to paint contaminents and the use of clay bar to NOVSUN88. He confirmed receipt, affirmed my statements and has posted it on this site. The point is...

1. There is a whole section on this subject in the service doc, I sent only a 1 page summary
2. the 1996 date was to indicate that the recommended procedure for removing both chemical & environmental contaminents dates back to 1996. I have the 2008 docs which state the same. basically to support that this info is not new and taught in all ICAR courses nationally for many years.

Last edited by beechkid; 09-25-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:42 AM
I mearly wanted you to fax the docs to me so that I could post them for others.. as information. If you want to send the 2008 doc's that'd be cool. Actually I'm more interested in them then the 1996 ones.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I mearly wanted you to fax the docs to me so that I could post them for others.. as information. If you want to send the 2008 doc's that'd be cool. Actually I'm more interested in them then the 1996 ones.
I'm getting ready to travel again, but, anyone who desires year by year verification, manufacturer by manufacturer can go to www.helminc.com, they have an online service which allows users to access any (well almost any) oem service manual online, page by page for each specific vehicle. While the recommended product names/suppliers differ, there is no oem (that I am aware of) that recommends using claybar for removal of any chemical or environmental contaminents during the last decade to the present, because of the residual contamination (which leads to further paint damage).

For those that have called me "every name under the sun" and implied that I would never have such a document, I hope that you will at least consider this.....
1. At no time did I send insults to anyone
2. I stated that I had docs to support my opinion & experience, I submitted such (one sample of many)
3. I appreciate the assistance of posting the doc.
4. It is difficult (at best) from my own experience, to find any industry certified automotive detailer (and I'm not referring to a "wax/detailing" retail manufacturer who may have a detailing course) who uses claybar for the purposes of this stated discussion (there are real uses for claybar, but not for chemical & environmental contaminents which covers 99% of finished paint maintenance issues)

I enjoy speaking with enthusiests who have differences of opinion, as I enjoy sharing and learning both new & old techniques regarding the variety of paint finishes that have been used throughout the decades (my fingers still ache from when my father painted the dash of his 32 coupe with 40 coats of lacquer- of which at age 11, I got to wet sand and rub out every 10 coats).

For those who were excessively verbal (with the posted and private name calling), I hope you have a change of heart and appreciation of a difference of view.

Quick Reply: clay bar info plz