clay bar info plz

what is the proper procedure to using the clay bar

thanks for all advice

Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noz

thanks for all advice

You really can't go wrong claying, just keep the area you are dealing with lubed up really well and go with a back and forth and let the claybar do all the work. You don't have to put and force down on the bar what so ever. You can either use a quick detail spray or some of your carwash mixed with water as your lube for the process. Best way to do this is in the shade so you don't have to worry about drying the area off and such, and I personally like to do this in the rain. Then once you have clayed your vehicle you can move onto your polish. Hopefully this helps a little

Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Noz
yes this helps me out alot lol, thanx for the info

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Noz

thanks for all advice

Most important. Cut the bar in half, leave one half in a zip lock bag...use the other half on the surface...if you drop the bar...throw it away. Get the other half and keep going.

DO NOT REUSE IF YOU DROP THE CLAY ON THE GROUND

Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Noz
Originally Posted by Noz
yes this helps me out alot lol, thanx for the info
i forgot one area lol, once i got the clay on there do i just a towel or something and just wipe the area?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Most important. Cut the bar in half, leave one half in a zip lock bag...use the other half on the surface...if you drop the bar...throw it away. Get the other half and keep going.

DO NOT REUSE IF YOU DROP THE CLAY ON THE GROUND

I knew I was forgetting something. I usually take my bar and pull it into 1/4's. Once you do area fold the clay in on itself and then flatten it back out.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Noz
i forgot one area lol, once i got the clay on there do i just a towel or something and just wipe the area?
OH wow......i think you misunderstand how the claying process works

The clay will never actually be applied to the paint like a wax or paste, its just a bar that stays in your hand and runs across the top of the paint. There will be no clay on your paint you have to wipe up....The best thing is to do small areas and clean up with a microfiber towel and some Quick Detailer as you go

Old 12-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Noz
k just got done washing my truck and already ran the towel through to dry faster, i got some detailer spray, so do i spray that before or after the clay?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Noz
k just got done washing my truck and already ran the towel through to dry faster, i got some detailer spray, so do i spray that before or after the clay?
You spray it as you clay it..............you have to keep the part that your rubbing the clay across very libricated with the detailer spray, and then once your done claying an area spray a few shots of detailer and wipe clean with a towel

Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Noz
as i was doing it i ran a towel over it, and it looked beautiful thanx for the help

Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
whew...sorry I didn't come back to check....that could have been interesting.

Looks like you got er figured out.

Polish, wax...pictures. its the law.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Remove old wax

I used to own an Audi TT Roadster and on that detailing forum I had always read that before claying you should wash your car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove the old wax.

Anyone agree with that?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by aishoy
I used to own an Audi TT Roadster and on that detailing forum I had always read that before claying you should wash your car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove the old wax.

Anyone agree with that?
Well, that depends... Dawn is very strong stuff and can cause damage to rubber and such...so using it often is a bad thing. The reason to be claying in the first place is to restore a slick finish and remove contaminates....this can be done 3-5 times per year pending condition...given those time frames, most waxes will have already faded to a point where dawn won't remove any more than just washing then claying.

That's my answer.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ju015dd
You really can't go wrong claying, just keep the area you are dealing with lubed up really well and go with a back and forth and let the claybar do all the work. You don't have to put and force down on the bar what so ever. You can either use a quick detail spray or some of your carwash mixed with water as your lube for the process. Best way to do this is in the shade so you don't have to worry about drying the area off and such, and I personally like to do this in the rain. Then once you have clayed your vehicle you can move onto your polish. Hopefully this helps a little

Aside from the fact that printed in the Ford factory service manuals since 1997, it clearly states the use of claybars are not recommended and two chemical cleaning agents are specifically identified since claybars only remove contaminents they can touch...not the residual that remains in the pores of the paint.

But I know, eveybody will just say...........Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
Aside from the fact that printed in the Ford factory service manuals since 1997, it clearly states the use of claybars are not recommended and two chemical cleaning agents are specifically identified since claybars only remove contaminents they can touch...not the residual that remains in the pores of the paint.

But I know, eveybody will just say...........Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
This total bs beechkid....you have posted this before and you could never show proof....your post is not correct....if you have something of real value to offer post it but until then keep comments like off this section....I am using my blackberry right now to post...when I get back to my office I will dig up your old post to prove you wrong again.....to the op please dismiss beechkids comments he doesn't know what he is talking about

Quick Reply: clay bar info plz