Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick, Small question about Sealants...

Can you layer them?

I recently did this:

Wash
Clay
#21 (which i let cure before i took off for 12hrs.)

Would putting on another coat of #21 help protect the paint better?

My final step will be a coat of #26

All of these are Meguiars Product #'s

Thanks for the help!

BTW I will post pictures but i am in the process of putting a lift kit and rims and tires on... so once that is done i will get some pics up!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by SuperLB51
Can you layer them?

I recently did this:

Wash
Clay
#21 (which i let cure before i took off for 12hrs.)

Would putting on another coat of #21 help protect the paint better?

My final step will be a coat of #26

All of these are Meguiars Product #'s

Thanks for the help!

BTW I will post pictures but i am in the process of putting a lift kit and rims and tires on... so once that is done i will get some pics up!
My opinion FTIW, I would say no. My experince with #21 is that you can get streaking when using your LSP if not fully cured. So you have to decided if you want to put another coat on then wait and not drive it. If that is possible, sure do it but think with the durability of #21, you should just jump to your LSP of choice.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok. Sounds good I will just go ahead and apply my #26 Yellow wax... and she shall be done! Thanks

Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 PM
The benefit of two coats of #21 is to ensure proper and complete coverage. YUou may see some additional durability from the second coat, but it will not be significant.

If you have time to do it, no reason not to .. but if you are pressed for time .. the single coat will hold up fine, expecially if you top it with #26.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by SuperLB51
Ok. Sounds good I will just go ahead and apply my #26 Yellow wax... and she shall be done! Thanks
If you have had the truck outside at all, or drove it, make sure you QD it before you wax....I know kind of a dumb thing to say....

Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Havent had to drive it for the past couple days! Girl friend has offered to drive...she just got a brand new SUV herself... So she (aka my baby [aka my truck]) Is still clean... I might still QD to get all the dust and crap off from the garage! Thanks guys!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
If you have had the truck outside at all, or drove it, make sure you QD it before you wax....I know kind of a dumb thing to say....
I wouldn't say that is a dumb thing...

I would QD the vehicle before applying another coat of "anything" even if it just sat in a garage for a few hours.

To add my 2 cents to the original questions...

Some synthetic waxes (sealants) can be layered to some extent... some really can't. If the product has even light amounts of cleaners, polishes, or significant amounts of solvents, (I believe #21 does have cleaners) it really doesn't pay to layer them... other than the recommended 2 coats for complete coverage.

As far as curing goes, again, products are different. Check with the manufacturers recommendations. Ideally, I think it's best to wait at least a few hours before putting another layer of "any" wax. If you can wait longer... so much the better.

Keep in mind that your paint can only hold so much wax. Anything more is just a waste of time and product.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Lets see some pics!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by JakeO
Lets see some pics!

I am getting a lift kit and rims and tires put on tomm... I will get some pics up once it is all completed!

Quick Reply: Quick, Small question about Sealants...