Paste or Liquid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paste or Liquid?

What does everybody prefer? Which is easier to apply and remove? I picked up some Meguiars NXT last weekend(paste) and really liked the results although I thought it was going to come off easier. I was using microfiber cloths to remove, should I use something else?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by S.M.Jones
What does everybody prefer? Which is easier to apply and remove? I picked up some Meguiars NXT last weekend(paste) and really liked the results although I thought it was going to come off easier. I was using microfiber cloths to remove, should I use something else?
If it's hard to remove then you most likely put it on to thick. NXT or any wax for that matter really needs to be applied thin, very thin. Anything more would be wasting product. I would keep using a good microfiber for removal.

I prefer liquid for applying by machine and paste for waxing by hand. The are both easy to remove if applied thin. Seem's to be a theme here. LOL!!!!!

Hope this helps you,

Tic

Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Ticman
I prefer liquid for applying by machine and paste for waxing by hand. The are both easy to remove if applied thin. Seem's to be a theme here. LOL!!!!!
I agree.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Key point to remember here: when you do the removal step, you are removing all but a microscopically thin layer of wax. (This wax does NOT need to be pressed into the paint-- only applied-- so for those who like to "work" in the wax, stop it) Therefore, when you apply it in globs, all you do i waste product and risk swirls.

Now, you say, why do I risk swirls when I apply thick?

Because when you apply thick, it becomes more difficult to remove, not to mention the MF towels begin to load MUCH faster, not to mention that the wax likes to ball up if in great quantity. When the MFs are loaded, the wax is difficult to remove, and it begins to ball up, the beginners tendancy is to press harder, thus we have swirling and micromarring.

therefore, thouh shalt apply the nectar of Wax in THIN coats...

(startign to see the pattern yet???? )

Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To the original (and topic'd) question...

Paste vs. Liquid -- it boils down to personal preference.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Smallest amount of product possible.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Paste.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just like boxers or briefs, blondes or brunettes, paper or plastic ...

Old 12-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm "old school", and still prefer a paste wax, but I don't think it really matters.

Some folks say most paste waxes are more durable, as they have less solvents/carriers in the product.

Other folks say that liquid wax are more durable, as they "fill in" the paint crevices better.

To be honest, I've tried literally dozens and dozens of both, and I really can't tell a difference.

All other things being equal (same product in liquid and paste), I think it comes down to this...

A liquid is easier to apply. (saves a little time)
A paste will give you more applications. (saves a little money)

Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Hope this helps you,

Tic
I have only used my new DA once and it was with liquid. I am guessing if you used paste with a DA, you would apply to pad very sparingly?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by jmm4879
I have only used my new DA once and it was with liquid. I am guessing if you used paste with a DA, you would apply to pad very sparingly?
Yes, I have tried paste with my G100. I used a plastic paint scraper to spread the wax out on the pad. One thing I noticed is to try and get the wax all over the pad. It goes on a lot easier if you get the pad covered completely. Then spread it out as thin as possible. It's just much faster for me to use the liquid with a machine.

Tic

Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes, I have tried paste with my G100. I used a plastic paint scraper to spread the wax out on the pad. One thing I noticed is to try and get the wax all over the pad. It goes on a lot easier if you get the pad covered completely. Then spread it out as thin as possible. It's just much faster for me to use the liquid with a machine.

Tic
Thanks Tic. I have some S100 paste that I am going to try next to compare to the Collinite 845 I just used.

I just went to 50 posts!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:06 PM

Tic
Concur with this. The one thing I noticed about using paste wax with my DA was the wax actually sank into the pad and when I cleaned it I had to really squeeze the pad to get all of the wax out. Much easier to use a liquid if using a DA.

Quick Reply: Paste or Liquid?