Detailing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Questions

I have a 2003 supercrew and i try to keep it in great shape. I wash it every weekend.. But before i knew it i started getting the swirl marks on my paint.

I know those swirls can come from the way i dry and/or wash.. So my first question is.. What do you guys dry with? Because those tiny MicroFiber towels (even though i have plenty) Just dont do the job. They're too small.

Secondly, would Meg's #9 do a good job on the swirls? If so whats the best way to apply that?

And last, if i have a few fine scratches on my Chrome rims whats the best way to remove those?

I'm just trying to gather some ideas here... I'm starting to get the OCD all you guys seem to have haha.. Just need to make sure the way im cleaning my baby isnt hurting it more than helping.

Thanks in advanced,
B

PS. I've never clayed my truck... And wanted to know if it was worth it, Where to start with that.. and how long it took on our huge ford trucks.

Last edited by Iam4st8; 12-18-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the CD section....I am not going to quote you but rather asnwer your posts with my RR-"quotes"

Your post:
I have a 2003 supercrew....
RR-removed part of your post
I know those swirls can come from the way i dry and/or wash.. So my first question is.. What do you guys dry with? Because those tiny MicroFiber towels (even though i have plenty) Just dont do the job. They're too small.

RR-yes, small MF's like those from WallyWorld which is what I presume you are referencing to won't do the job. I personally have tired many ways to dry my truck after washing. you will get many good opinions here. A few things I have learned from that. Drying after properly prepared paint and detailed paint is much easier to dry after washing. I use 16X24 MF's to dry, and these cannot be found at WM. I can actually dry my entire F250 with one of them.
Secondly, would Meg's #9 do a good job on the swirls? If so whats the best way to apply that?
RR-Pretty hard to answer this....need to see what you are working with. Megs #9 alone prob won't do enough to make a difference....have you read the detail sticky at the top of the CD section?
And last, if i have a few fine scratches on my Chrome rims whats the best way to remove those?

I'm just trying to gather some ideas here... I'm starting to get the OCD all you guys seem to have haha.. Just need to make sure the way im cleaning my baby isnt hurting it more than helping.
RR-Cleaning it is often the problem to taking care of your paint....Have you read the sticky on detailing yet?
Thanks in advanced,
B

PS. I've never clayed my truck... And wanted to know if it was worth it, Where to start with that.. and how long it took on our huge ford trucks.
RR-you never clayed? No problem. But if you are going to get serious about taking care of your truck, you MUST CLAY to properly prep the surface for correction. Have you read the sticky yet?

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-18-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Iam4st8,

I could answer some of your questions except the scratched chrome because as of yet I have not had to deal with it sorry.

First thing to do is check out autodetailingsolutions dot com. They have everything you could think of for detailing supplies. Mostly all Meguiars stuff.

To wash your truck use the 2 bucket method. One bucket with wash water one with clean water. Dip your wash mitt into the wash water, go to the truck and wash a panel, then got to the clean water bucket and rinse out the mitt and ring it out them repeat with the wash water bucket. You could also use the 1 bucket with a grit guard in the bottom to prevent you from picking up dirt particles floating in the water with your mitt and inturn rubbing them back on the truck. The grit guard is sold at ADS.

To dry my truck I got from ADS a marine/RV sized microfiber waffle weave drying towel it is 29inches by 40 inches and I use 2 to make sure I get all of the water off my truck.

Meguiars #9 is one of the finest cleaner/polishes they make and it could work if they are very fine swirls if not you may need something a little bit stronger like #80 speed glaze or # 83 dual action clearner polish if you are working by machine. You can work #9 by hand or machine, but on a big truck I will not use my hands for anything but that is just me. I have a 99 metallic green F-150 and I used #80 with my dual action polisher and I got 99% of the swirls out of it, if I had more time I would have used #83 then #80 and I would have gotten a 100% swirl free finish. ADS has great deals going on polisher kits.

Claying is really worth doing. It removes all of the bonded contamination from the surface of the paint work. When you clay the paint you are left with a smooth as glass surface that is the best to start with when detailing. The surface contaminates stick up from the surface and make your wax not last as long due to an incomplete bond with the paint. I completed a claying of my fathers tundra(smaller than a 150) in less than one hour. This is the make-it or break-it step in detailing the truck. What I mean is no matter how expensive of a wax you use it will not look great or last long unless the paint is properly prepped. Due this little test after your next washing, take a plastic sandwich bag put your ghand in it and gently rub the hood of your truck if it feels and sounds like sand paper then it needs to be clayed.

I hope I was a help to you and I again am sorry for not being able to help with you scratched chrome but hopefully I was able to answer the other questions for you.

Andrew

Old 12-19-2007, 05:52 PM
I appreciate the help rollingrock, and andrew. I'm going to have to look into that #80 also. im sure ill end up getting one of the bigger MF towells you were talking about rolling rock.
Hopefully i'll get these damn swirls out. haha

Anyone got any tips on the Chrome scratches however?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Rolling Rock where did you purchase that 16x24 MF towel from?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
he got his from specialtymotoringproducts.com or something like that... maybe it was specialtymotoring.com

Anyway, the rest of this is to the OP:

For drying, a KEY point is that you MUST blot dry. Abrading the water off almost invariably results in swirls. I use a large Waffle Weave Microfiber towel for this.

Stray away from WalMart towels. With the exception of when they have a Meguiars something or other, their towels never pass the CD test, thus your paint would have the same effect (ie: swirls). I reccommend either the DF Concours Towel (from here), the ones from ADS, or a Meguiars Supreme Shine MF Towel.

#9 is more of a filler than an abrasive; as such, you will see improvement with it, but it will dissapear if you every strip your wax. That being said, I would invest in a bottle of #80. #9 can be used by hand or machine, as can #80, however, I find that #80 is best used by machine. Zaairman will attest to this, too (he used to use it by hand, but now he has a DA).

As for the rims, are they true chrome, clearcoated chrome, or are they polished aluminum. I know, it sounds like a dumb question, but it is necessary for a proper answer. (If cleared, treat exactly like paint)

BTW-- You should be using the 2 bucket method when you wash. Are you? Also, What kind of wash solution and mitt are you using?

Lastly, what kind of protection do you keep on there?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Rolling Rock where did you purchase that 16x24 MF towel from?
From here and sorry for the plug....not really kosher to post links to non sponsoring sites but they are in discussions about becoming a sponsor.

http://www.specialtymotoring.com/mf-1015.html

Old 12-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03

As for the rims, are they true chrome, clearcoated chrome, or are they polished aluminum. I know, it sounds like a dumb question, but it is necessary for a proper answer. (If cleared, treat exactly like paint)

BTW-- You should be using the 2 bucket method when you wash. Are you? Also, What kind of wash solution and mitt are you using?

Lastly, what kind of protection do you keep on there?
The rims are true Chrome, I am using the true bucket method... (well not right now, as we are in a drought and i have to go to the car wash..) But when i'm at home i use a very soft brush with a long handle to make my washing a bit faster and easier.

I have a meguires wax that i use probably every 3rd or 4th wash to protect the paint.. But once agian its just got alot of swirls...

And since you guys are reccomending #80... Is that more dangerous to use than #9? because like i said, i'm new to the swirl removing and don't want to make it even worse. Not to mention i did the plastic bag test to see if my truck needs claying last night... And it was very very gritty... So hopefully as soon as i can ill wash it, clay it, #80 or #9, then wax it.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
From here and sorry for the plug....not really kosher to post links to non sponsoring sites but they are in discussions about becoming a sponsor.
As long as its not your site and you're not throwing prices around, I *think* you're cool.... But don't quote me on that.

and Iam, do then #80, then #9.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok Great, Wheres the best place i can find #80. Pepboys, autozone? Walmart/Target? Or is it only online.

Also check out my previous post about the chrome wheel scratches, if anyone knows anything about that.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Hmm... Out of all the local 'marts, the store that has the best detailing selection is Auto Zone, but I hate them. Your best bet is to order from ADS.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 PM
AutoZone doesnt carry #80; however they do have #7 and #9.

I agree with Zaairman here-- wash, clay, #80, #9, then apply a good sealant (ie: #21, NXT, etc), then wait 12 hours to apply your carnauba. I also agree with the ADS idea (www.autodetailingsolutions.com)

Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 PM
What's yalls opinion on ScratchX compared to using #80 or #9?

I've seen a few posts of ScratchX working wonders on cars on Meguires websites.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Iam4st8
What's yalls opinion on ScratchX compared to using #80 or #9?

I've seen a few posts of ScratchX working wonders on cars on Meguires websites.
Different applications... S-X is more formulated for scratch removal, not for a "whole-car" application. Yes, it works quite well, but it is not going to be fun to use on the whole car. BUT-- S-X is a GREAT product to have handy.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, Good to know.

I'm gonna give my car a good claying hopefully soon here after christmas, along with some #9, and #80 if i can get my hands on it. If not my arms will have to suffer to put some scratchX on most of the truck. haha

Quick Reply: Detailing Questions