How long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long is too long?

I got my truck muddy a few days ago. I don't want my paint to get too messed up. When should I start cleaning it up?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
ASAP. The longer you leave mud on the paint the more it will harden and dry.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:06 PM
The sooner the better; The longer it is in there, you run the following risks:

1: The mud sits too long, thus leaving nasty stains in the clear (requiring more work to remove)
2: The mud gets hard, thus when it falls, it scratches the paint
3: The mud is gritty; it will almost invariably marr your paint when you try to clean it-- this effect worsens with time.

You dont necessarily have to have it spotless-- powerwash off the mud then do a handwash later. That way you eliminate the risks without having to plan for all that time immediately.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
The sooner the better; The longer it is in there, you run the following risks:

1: The mud sits too long, thus leaving nasty stains in the clear (requiring more work to remove)
2: The mud gets hard, thus when it falls, it scratches the paint
3: The mud is gritty; it will almost invariably marr your paint when you try to clean it-- this effect worsens with time.

You dont necessarily have to have it spotless-- powerwash off the mud then do a handwash later. That way you eliminate the risks without having to plan for all that time immediately.
Good points. I plan to spray it this evening. It's probably going to rain sometime soon so I don't need it clean, just not muddy.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM
If you have a good coat of wax/protectant of your choice, I wouldn't think it should much matter. I've left mud on my truck for up to a week before without any damage. I mean, sure, getting it off ASAP is ideal, but I can't see how mud is going to stain your clear if your paint is already in good shape and well protected.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
If you have a good coat of wax/protectant of your choice, I wouldn't think it should much matter. I've left mud on my truck for up to a week before without any damage. I mean, sure, getting it off ASAP is ideal, but I can't see how mud is going to stain your clear if your paint is already in good shape and well protected.
Yes-- I was assuming the worst:

-You have wax; I always take questions like the OP had to be worst-case, ie: no wax

-You have a color that is FANTASTIC for hiding crap; I always assume whatever color is worst for the situation will be the one that it is. In this case, White would be the worst.

-You say one week; I always assume that the situation is for several weeks...

Moral to the story: yes, you are right. However, I like to give advice assumin g the worst situation... Okay, this is starting to get redundant...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 PM
i would watch the power washing approach as mentioned above...gritty mud and high pressure water would be a sandblaster powered by water instead of air. slow steady stream of water to carry mud away, not high power to blast it off. save the pressure wash for the under side and inner fenders, not on the paint.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by troberts6874
i would watch the power washing approach as mentioned above...gritty mud and high pressure water would be a sandblaster powered by water instead of air. slow steady stream of water to carry mud away, not high power to blast it off. save the pressure wash for the under side and inner fenders, not on the paint.
X2.

If you guys sit back and really watch troberts' posts... you'll note that the guy knows what he's doing and sits quietly in the corner and emerges on certain occasions. He's hitting the nail on the head here!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
X2.

If you guys sit back and really watch troberts' posts... you'll note that the guy knows what he's doing and sits quietly in the corner and emerges on certain occasions. He's hitting the nail on the head here!
agreed. on both points.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipraw
agreed. on both points.
I feel like a buffoon. You're leaving tomorrow, right? I totally forgot.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Well I didn't get to do it today. Christmas traffic is lovely.

I haven't waxed the truck in a while. My paint is already not happy with me. I need a good detail here in the near future.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I feel like a buffoon. You're leaving tomorrow, right? I totally forgot.
Actually leaving Saturday morning ..

I'll shoot you a PM

Old 12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
X2.

...oops...

Well, I guess its a good thing I have 2wd and typically dont have to deal with mud... Otherwise, his VERY good point would have KILLED me...

Give me a minute...I will find an excuse...

I guess there is saving water, but the amount saved doesnt justify the return... DANG! Got ma again...

*goes to hide in corner*

Quick Reply: How long is too long?