Cleaning your mats and washing your truck in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning your mats and washing your truck in the cold

I have 2 questions

1. What is the best way to clean you mats. My mats are black but the red logo that says sport (I think this is what it says) is a little dull.

2. For those guys who are washing their trucks outside in the cold, what are you doing to keep warm besides dressing in layers?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
I have 2 questions

1. What is the best way to clean you mats. My mats are black but the red logo that says sport (I think this is what it says) is a little dull.

2. For those guys who are washing their trucks outside in the cold, what are you doing to keep warm besides dressing in layers?
Rubber mats or carpeted? If clean my rubber mats with AJAX and a scrub brush. And use warm water from a faucet to wash with. Drying is the cold part!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I have 2 questions

1. I use 303 Cleaner diluted for both carpets and rubber/vinyl mats... works great.

2. Yes, dress in layers, and wear rubber boots. Use luke warm wash water, or better yet, try ONR (Optimum No Rinse). Oh yeah... a flask of good bourbon is a must!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I have the same mats as you. I just vacuum mine regularly and throw them in the washing machine (use a laundry mat's machine if you don't want to use your own) every couple of months.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Carpeted

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I would either opt for SG diluted for carpet cleaning (it says on the label, but thats in the garage...I am inside) or 303 cleaner, but since I only have SG, my choice is obvious.

Also, get a good couple of coats of Scotch Guard on there-- helps out a TON.

As mentioned before, use a vaccuum regularly to keep from grinding stuff in.

Lastly, I REALLY like Meg.s Quik Out for spotty stuff. I didnt like it as much for doing an entire interior (though I have done it), but I think this could help you out a TON.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I was thinking about trying out the Megs stuff b/c I love all of their othre products but I figured that I would get some feedback from one of you guys first. Do you think that will do the trick. I just need to do it on the red logo part

Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM
I was thinking about trying out the Megs stuff b/c I love all of their othre products but I figured that I would get some feedback from one of you guys first. Do you think that will do the trick. I just need to do it on the red logo part
Yeah, for just the red logo, I would use the Quik-Out. (If you have simple green at the house already, I would check it out and see how it does...)

Hold on... I have heard that SG is bad for stitching, which would make me not want to use it. However, it also says it can be used as a laundry detergent (and I might add, it works well, too...)... So, how do you more senior folks think SG would play with the floormats? Thoughts??? Thanks.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a few beers outside with me when I wash my truck in the cold. Usually when I wash my truck I wash down the wifes truck also. Warm water is key. I try to get everything ready before I have to step out side in the cold.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Well I made it last night washing the truck. I dont drink so I didnt have any beers outside but I did layer up and I had some really thick and strong rubber gloves that were able to fit over my winter gloves. If my hands stay warm when washing than I can pretty much handle it. I hope it turned out nice b/c it was dark outside but I had a little bit of light. Tomorrow I will hit it with Meg's quik detailer. Im leaving to go to NC tomorrow but I cant stand a dirty truck. I have to have everything clean especially my windows. The truck wasnt dirty but to us who like to detail, the slightest of dirt on a truck and we are washing.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 PM
If you dont mind waiting a bit..although ADS has very fast shipping..i would get a small bottle of Meguiar's D-Line APC+..it has built in fabric softeners and would be excellent for this i think...SG does say it is bad for stitching...but i dont know as to if i would hesitate to take it at carpet at a proper dilution rate...i dont think it would do any harm...but seriously APC+ is great

Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to your sporting goods store and invest in a boating floater coat or full floatation suit

they are warm and pretty much water repellant

Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
As for the carpeted mats I use our Hoover carpet shampoo machine. hey, who said it's just for the home!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
duh... I totally forgot about APC+ until Stud mentioned it...

As for the home carpet machine, I do the same. Works like a champ

Quick Reply: Cleaning your mats and washing your truck in the cold