Cleaning my toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning my toolbox

After 2 years exposed to the elements without anything more than a wash and rinse every so often my black powdercoated UWS toolbox was not looking too new anymore.
Before:

I proceded to spray it down and scrub the hell out of it with some Simple Green and a nylon brush. Boy was it dirty, even after I washed the truck yesterday!

After that I waxed it up with some good old Turtle Wax polishing compound to get rid of the oxidation. I probably could have gotten better results with something a little more abrasive, but I'm not sure how the powdercoating would take to that.
Then I scrubed it with Simple Green one more time to remove all the wax residue (it sure is a bitch trying to wax diamondplate). Then I topped it off with a coat of Turtle Wax ICE. This is gooood stuff. I like it a lot. It's very versatile and lasts for a while.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Now for the results:

While it still doesn't look new, it is much better than it was and I"m happy with the results.
What I'm not too happy about is the parts on the box where the powdercoating is beginning to chip away. Does anybody know if UWS has a warranty on their powdercoating?

Old 12-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
Now for the results:

While it still doesn't look new, it is much better than it was and I"m happy with the results.
What I'm not too happy about is the parts on the box where the powdercoating is beginning to chip away. Does anybody know if UWS has a warranty on their powdercoating?
I was wondering the same thing, I also have a UWS toolbox and the powdercoating is peeling off all over the place.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bellman
I was wondering the same thing, I also have a UWS toolbox and the powdercoating is peeling off all over the place.
I was looking around their website and I couldn't find anything about a waranty. I did find the phone number for their office though. I might try calling and asking about it later this week.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:44 PM
looks good. I'm going to need to do something to mine soon. it's black powdercoat but not diamond plate.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:01 PM

I beleive they do have a warranty on the powdercoat, At least that is what I remember being told at the local UWS dealer. Cause I asked specifically about if it chips/fades/peels he said bring it back...Id find a local dealer and stop by or give them a call, its worth a try i guess

Quick Reply: Cleaning my toolbox