In need of supplies

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In need of supplies

Hey everybody.

Since I've got the new truck I need to start over on my arsenal of goodies. I was going to purchase a new DA, pads, polish, etc. Everyone seems to like ADS so I guess I'll purchase my stuff through them.

So what would you guys reccomend? How many and what kind of pads? What kind of polishes? Etc.

Thanks! :santa:

Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ian51279
Hey everybody.

Since I've got the new truck I need to start over on my arsenal of goodies. I was going to purchase a new DA, pads, polish, etc. Everyone seems to like ADS so I guess I'll purchase my stuff through them.

So what would you guys reccomend? How many and what kind of pads? What kind of polishes? Etc.

Thanks! :santa:
This is going to be fun.

What is your budget?

Get the DA.

Pads, I am a Lake VC kind of guy. I have 2 full sets
MF's as many as you can get, I prefer the ones sold from Specialty Motoring. 16X24 or 16x16, the bulk 16x16's from ADS are aslo good but if you are spending money, get the SM towels.

Products: Cannot go wrong with Megs, #80, #7, #26, #21
Or Poorboys. Good base there would be SSR3 and SSR1, Polish with Sealer (PwS) EX-P, Polish, Natty's Blue or Red if you can get it. Poorboys Super Suds and Wash. Don't drink it. Poorboys Trim Restorer goes good with toast.

(you can also get all the PB products from SM) Please tell Scott you are from here....he is trying to be a sponsor of the site.

Then you should consider Hyperdressiong by the gallon and a Hyperdressing mix/spray bottle.
LOTS of QD, Megs #34 is my fav

2 Grit guards, get 2 5 gal clear buckets from Lowes, they have gal marks on them...they are great. Get the lids too, helps when the leaves are falling to keep them out of your buckets.

Channel wash mits or blocks

Clay bar: Megs Blue. Period.

Ok, that is all I can think of now...lets see what else you get.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I figure $200-$300 ought to get me started doncha think?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 AM
I spent a little bit more than the 300, but all I asked for Christmas from my entire family was GC's from Autogeek. Autogeek has 20% off until the 1st, saved me enough on the products that I ended up getting the PC 7424 from them instead of an E-bay store.

I got the MF towels from Specialty Motoring. I ordered Friday morning and Fed Ex tried to deliver them today. To bad I was not home to sign for them.

I can e-mail the list if you would like it.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 AM
I have the buckets, a good wash mitt, good Meguiar's soap.

I need to get some more MF's.

I like Meg's stuff, but I'm open to whatever y'all reccomend.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Please tell Scott you are from here....he is trying to be a sponsor of the site.
It's always fun to learn things from a 3rd party...

Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Ian, any of the DA packages from ADS are good. I went with the package #1, then got the 6 pack (2 of each type) of pads. Follow that up with waxes and polishes, and you'll be good to go.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
This is going to be fun.

What is your budget?

Get the DA.

Pads, I am a Lake VC kind of guy. I have 2 full sets
MF's as many as you can get, I prefer the ones sold from Specialty Motoring. 16X24 or 16x16, the bulk 16x16's from ADS are aslo good but if you are spending money, get the SM towels.

Products: Cannot go wrong with Megs, #80, #7, #26, #21
Or Poorboys. Good base there would be SSR3 and SSR1, Polish with Sealer (PwS) EX-P, Polish, Natty's Blue or Red if you can get it. Poorboys Super Suds and Wash. Don't drink it. Poorboys Trim Restorer goes good with toast.

(you can also get all the PB products from SM) Please tell Scott you are from here....he is trying to be a sponsor of the site.

Then you should consider Hyperdressiong by the gallon and a Hyperdressing mix/spray bottle.
LOTS of QD, Megs #34 is my fav

2 Grit guards, get 2 5 gal clear buckets from Lowes, they have gal marks on them...they are great. Get the lids too, helps when the leaves are falling to keep them out of your buckets.

Channel wash mits or blocks

Clay bar: Megs Blue. Period.

Ok, that is all I can think of now...lets see what else you get.

So far I agree with everything here. I will warn you (if you dont already know) that the Megs will be higher volume and lower cost; PB will be easier to handle bottles and a VERY nice product to work; however, it comes at a price...

As for specific products, JP named off all of my favorites. HOWEVER: He left out APC+. Get some (unless of course you already have more than a gallon of Simple Green handy...or 303 cleaner...)

Originally Posted by JP
Poorboys Super Suds and Wash. Don't drink it. Poorboys Trim Restorer goes good with toast.
I just got some funny looks from my dogs from laughing at that one...

Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 PM
So I'm cruising around ADS picking out what I need (want).

RR, you mentioned #34. I'm guessing this is like all other QD's. Just pour it into a spray bottle and go?

Also, I saw #5. It appears to be the same as #7, but more ideal for humid climates which really hinders me in the summer in Alabama.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
So I'm cruising around ADS picking out what I need (want).

RR, you mentioned #34. I'm guessing this is like all other QD's. Just pour it into a spray bottle and go?

Also, I saw #5. It appears to be the same as #7, but more ideal for humid climates which really hinders me in the summer in Alabama.
#34 is not like other QD's.....its better. If you buy some, get a spray bottle for it and I would bet it will become your fav QD....I am picking up another gallon on Wed.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:41 PM
#34 is not like other QD's.....its better. If you buy some, get a spray bottle for it and I would bet it will become your fav QD....I am picking up another gallon on Wed.
Gotcha.

Any comment on the #5?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Gotcha.

Any comment on the #5?
My bad....never used it.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
My bad....never used it.
That's fine.

Anyone else use Meg's #5?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gotcha.

Any comment on the #5?
Like he mentioned, #34 is great stuff... you'll want to find a bottle that will throw a very fine mist. The absolute best bottle on the planet (IMO) for QD products is the Quik Detailer bottle from Meg's (the burgandy one). I've bought Quik Detailer (a product that I typically don't use too much of) specifically so that I could get the stinkin' bottle!

When I was out in Irvine, a couple of us hounded Mike Pennington (Dir. of Training for Megs) to sell that bottle - or, at least, a spray head like it - individually. He actually AGREED with us that it was the best bottle that they had for a QD yet declined to really come up with a bunch of spray heads for us... so, oh well. LOL!

#5 vs #7

Both good products... #5 is better for the humid environments because it's a higher VOC product - meaning, it'll set up better than the #7 in a wet environment...

I only have a 'sample bottle' of #5 so, I really can't comment too terribly much on it other than USE IT THIN!!! The is the same with #7...

Use it thick and you'll really HATE the product. Remember, thin is when you can BARELY see it on the paint and, again, this is one of those products that really doesn't need to dry to the paint to get the results. I like to remove #7 when it's gummy - 1) because it's easier to remove and 2) because it seems to leave a little deeper shine versus letting it get dry (maybe in the eye of the beholder here... *shrugs).

You want it to be 'somewhat' dry when you remove it or it'll be VERY streaky and difficult to make it look right.

-RP-

Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks RP. I think I'll give #5 a whirl.

Quick Reply: In need of supplies