Order of applying detailing products

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order of applying detailing products

Well, after reading the C&D forum, I have the OCD bug! I bought a few products and it looks like I will spend a few days working on my truck making it look good. I have many of the necessary components described in the sticky, but I am confused as to when I should do certain steps. I do plan on claying my truck and then applying the wax. (Meg's clay kit, cleaner wax, and NXT 2.0). I also bought a touch up bottle of paint to cover some scratches and chips on the body of my truck. My question is... At what step should I use the touch up paint?
Here is what I have setup in my mind so far... Keep in mind I have already washed the truck.
1 Clay
2 Touch up paint
3 Wax
or...
1 Clay
2 Wax
3 Touch up paint
or...
1 Touch up paint
2 Clay
3 Wax
I know there is a correct procedure somewhere out there, I just want to get it done the proper way.
Any links to threads or personal experiences is greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:57 PM
A complete detail should always be taken from this base.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal
Wax

From that point, you go into maintenance mode until it is needed again. sometimes that is 4-10 times per year pending how OCD you really are.

As for touch up....I would Wash, then touch up and allow that to cure. Wait a few days, Wash again, Clay and be careful of the areas you touched....then wax.

If it were mine that is what I would do. How much touch up do you need? 5 spots, 100?

JP

Old 12-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Speaking of touch ups dose anyone know a good system with proper brushes and technique? I have some stone chips and every time I try a over the counter It either blobs on or just looks like amaturer attempt. There must be a system of some sort that gives professional results!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
How much touch up do you need? 5 spots, 100?

JP
I am going to have to cover a few spots on my tailgate. Actually a tarp I was using to cover some cargo started flapping loose and one of the corner eyelets kept beating on my gate. I also have a spot where my grillguard was rubbing pretty close to the right side headlight. All of these spots are worn down to the bare metal, and luckily there is no rust...

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 AM
you could also use some sort of glaze after you polish and beofre you seal. vanilla moose hand glaze is so nice.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by oceanic64
Speaking of touch ups dose anyone know a good system with proper brushes and technique? I have some stone chips and every time I try a over the counter It either blobs on or just looks like amaturer attempt. There must be a system of some sort that gives professional results!

you can either try a tooth pick or some very fine artist brush. I have yet to master it but am getting there. I have a nice spot I need to attend to on my truck door due to previous owner.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by ju015dd
you could also use some sort of glaze after you polish and beofre you seal. vanilla moose hand glaze is so nice.
Good point.

Quick Reply: Order of applying detailing products