First Time Detail...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
2 things.

1. Nice results.
2. Thanks for shopping at Lowes. I am a stock holder.
1. Thanks! Too much hard work... now I'm afraid to drive it.
2. I've got pretty much of all of Lowes, Home Depot, and Craftsman tools. We are now looking towards Snap-On and Matco tools. Why?! I dunno why we need a professional Matco 3/4" ratchet, when we got like 6 different brands of 3/4" ratchets. It's like we got tools for tools, on top of tools.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
1. Thanks! Too much hard work... now I'm afraid to drive it.
2. I've got pretty much of all of Lowes, Home Depot, and Craftsman tools. We are now looking towards Snap-On and Matco tools. Why?! I dunno why we need a professional Matco 3/4" ratchet, when we got like 6 different brands of 3/4" ratchets. It's like we got tools for tools, on top of tools.
There are only 2 manufactures of tools really. Snap on & Mac. Husky, Kobalt and Crafstman are all brands of those two.

Mac makes Husky, Snap-on makes Kobalt and I forget which one Crasftman falls under. I live in Keller, I am surrounded by AA and DEA mechanics...they filled me in on the tools.

Net is, between those brands, there are no bad brands. They are all good tools.

Oh just found this cool tip about Kobalt tools. I was almost right.

Hello All,
I've been reading a lot here about the Kobalt Brand of tools sold though Lowes and just want to clear up some misconceptions that have been posted here about them. KOBALT wrenches, ratchets, and sockets are STILL made in the USA and clearly stamped to indicate this.

I'm not too sure where people get the idea that the older original Kobalt wrenches, ratchets, and sockets were made by Snap-On. They were actually made by a secondary subsidiary of Snap-On. The original KOBALT tools made up until early 2003 were made by JH Williams in Midland, Georgia. Williams is an industrial tool maker that has been making it's own tools under it's own name here in the USA since the late 1800's. JH Williams as of 1999 became a subsidiary of the North America division of BAHCO, a Swedish saw blade manufacturer that is owned by Snap-On. Actually BAHCO had more control over JH Williams and how they made the older KOBALT tools than Snap-On did. Make no mistake that Williams makes some tough industrial excellent tools.

The newer KOBALT wrenches, ratchets, and sockets are still made in the USA. Lowes has now contracted the brand to be made by foundries owned and operated by Danaher Tool Group. Yes it's the same company that makes post 1994 Craftsman tools. In fact since Danaher Tool Group owns Allen, MATCO, and Armstrong too. I wouldn't be suprised if the KOBALT wrenches, ratchets, and sockets are made in factories by Armstrong, MATCO, and Allen.

While I do agree that the older Williams made KOBALT stuff was smoother looking and had a better feel to them than the newer satin finished Danaher stuff. KOBALT tools old and new are very good wrenches. I own some socket sets, ratchets, and wrench sets, a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, and have never broken a tool. Of course I use each tool as it was intended and designed for In other words if I need a hammer, I use a hammer, I don't suppliment my ratchet for it, you get the idea. Well and they just only see regular moderate use, not industrial use.

It's true that KOBALT still has a web page, but it only direct you to Lowes. Must be a left over defunked website from the Williams days.

Oh by the way, was in Home Depot the other day and looked at their line of Husky tools made by Standly. Could not find one Husky tool that was still made in the USA. Sadly it was all Taiwan made stuff.

Last edited by RollingRock; 01-10-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Hmm... interesting... I never knew that.

I sent my Dad a copy of it... he'll be interested.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Snap-on makes Kobalt?!?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
However, I did do a Meg's Gold Class treatment. It came out VERY good. Hopefully this will protect it for the year. Well... maybe I'll wash it again this year. I'll see how time permits.
Megs Gold Class isn't know for its durability... I'd give it two months, tops. Truck looks good though.

Whoa... wait a second.

Where is the tire shine?

Quick Reply: First Time Detail...