First Time Detail...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
First Time Detail...

Well... I finally got the urge to completely detail my truck today. I started working on it around 3:30 pm and I've been working on it ever since. I have not cleaned the truck in more than 8 months! Basically, the truck was only clean twice since I've owned it. The first time was from the dealer... when it was brand new... and then I washed it again in June!

I had so much industrial fallout and rail rust on my truck is was not even funny. I had to go through like 12 polishing bonnets on my DA. There was so much rust coming off my paint.

I'm still working on it... but it is taking forever because of how dirty the paint is. It is nassssty.

I'll post some pictures in a little while... when I'm done. Right now I've got the laptop out in the garage, thank god for wireless technology.

I did the whole truck with Megs Cleaner Wax, polished it. I then went over it with some Eagle One NanoWax then polished it. Finally I am going over it with Zymol, and then I am going to polish it.

The cleaner wax was what took off the rail dust and some of the tar spots. The NanoWax really did a great job at removing the tar spots. The Zymol really adds the shine. I might hit it again with some Megs Gold Class... my hands are practically vibrating right now from using the DA so much.

But the results are amazing... the truck is like wicked bright...

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.. you didn't clay it?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Well... I finally got the urge to completely detail my truck today. I started working on it around 3:30 pm and I've been working on it ever since. I have not cleaned the truck in more than 8 months! Basically, the truck was only clean twice since I've owned it. The first time was from the dealer... when it was brand new... and then I washed it again in June!

I had so much industrial fallout and rail rust on my truck is was not even funny. I had to go through like 12 polishing bonnets on my DA. There was so much rust coming off my paint.

I'm still working on it... but it is taking forever because of how dirty the paint is. It is nassssty.

I'll post some pictures in a little while... when I'm done. Right now I've got the laptop out in the garage, thank god for wireless technology.

I did the whole truck with Megs Cleaner Wax, polished it. I then went over it with some Eagle One NanoWax then polished it. Finally I am going over it with Zymol, and then I am going to polish it.

The cleaner wax was what took off the rail dust and some of the tar spots. The NanoWax really did a great job at removing the tar spots. The Zymol really adds the shine. I might hit it again with some Megs Gold Class... my hands are practically vibrating right now from using the DA so much.

But the results are amazing... the truck is like wicked bright...
Manualf150, this post is a tad confusing and there are a few things out of order etc (it could be a semantic thing)....but if you got good results I don't need to chime in.

However, that being said. A good base to work from from when working with paint is always:

Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal
Wax

Having not clayed it and as dirty as you said it was, you may have driven containments deeper in the surface and or marred the surface.

But again, if you got good results, great.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:37 AM

Only twice haha, terrible. I think I had mine washed more then yours in my first day of ownership.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 AM
A bit confusing, as RR has said. If it worked though, then where are the pictures!?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Contributor
Originally Posted by roushstage2
A bit confusing, as RR has said. If it worked though, then where are the pictures!?
It's 4 am... I just got done with it... I'll take some pix tomorrow morning when I wake up.

My hands are so sore and my hands are numb all at the same time...

Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 AM
It's 4 am... I just got done with it... I'll take some pix tomorrow morning when I wake up.

My hands are so sore and my hands are numb all at the same time...
That's devotion! Way to go through to the end, great feeling isn't it!?

Can't wait to see it!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
What type of "DA" were you using?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
What type of "DA" were you using?
you see it too?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
you see it too?
See what? I saw "polishing bonnets" which makes me think he was using a Craftsman...

Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
See what? I saw "polishing bonnets" which makes me think he was using a Craftsman...

Nevermind.....

Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Nevermind.....
Oh... I think I caught it. Wicked bright? Its like his new haircut...

Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Suspended
Lol..

Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributor
Good Catch... sort of... No, I got a Porter-Cable DA Random Orbit polisher and a Craftsman Random Orbit polisher. Both work great.

I use the P-C DA to apply the polish. I then use the Craftsman RO polisher to polish the surface. I then go over it again by hand with a clean microfiber wipe.

However, I did do a Meg's Gold Class treatment. It came out VERY good. Hopefully this will protect it for the year. Well... maybe I'll wash it again this year. I'll see how time permits.

I got 99% of the scratches, contaminents, and other stuff off my paint. It looks better than when I first bought it. So I must have done something right.

Anyhow, here are some pictures... enjoy!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
2 things.

1. Nice results.
2. Thanks for shopping at Lowes. I am a stock holder.

Quick Reply: First Time Detail...