Another first time detail

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Another first time detail

I'm out in the San Diego area at my sister's, been here since Dec 9 and don't know when I'm heading back to MO. She basically told me to get my *** out here for the winter and I ain't complaining.

Was over at Wallymart yesterday and found a whole end cap full of the $24.88 Megs kits with the NXT 2.0. I got a bug up my *** and picked one up and grabbed a whole bunch of other stuff there and at the Zone. Well, $120 or so later, I'm all ready to do a number on my truck. You OCD'ers are gonna kill me, but I *did* buy Walmart MF towels.

Started out this morning washing it. Used NXT Wash and a Wallymart MF chenille mitt. Dried it with a Wallymart MF drying towel. I already saw that it was looking better than it ever did after my usual infrequent washes at the DIY joint with 70 mph air drying.

Front end looks like a bug graveyard. Took care of most of it with some Turtle Wax bug and tar remover.

Next step - a Megs white clay kit with the QD and Megs towel. Looking even better and it feels REALLY smooth.

Took care of some nasties with ScratchX, I was very happy with the results, it took care of most of the nasty bruises on the passenger door from parking lots which I thought were through the clear. Used a Wallymart MF applicator and towel.

Last thing for today - polished everything but the roof with Deep Crystal #2 polish, used another Wallymart MF applicator and towel. This was a PITA, it does NOT come off easy if it dries. It now looks to me like a brand new truck. Parked it out in the street for the night.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit it with some QD then wax it with the NXT 2.0. If I have any energy left I'll work on the interior, my old *** was TIRED when I got done today, I just got out of the Jacuzzi. In between things today I was also helping my nephew finish up an engine change in his 70 Bug.

Saturday it will get another coat of NXT and the rest of the job (finish the interior, do the black trim and soft tonneau, tires, glass).

I promise to post pics when it's done. This is too much work, I refuse to put any carnauba on top of the NXT. It already looks more than good to me with just the polish.

I'll post another status report, if any of you care, tomorrow night. I may go back over to Wallymart when it's done and get a couple more kits before they sell out just to have them.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I'm out in the San Diego area at my sister's, been here since Dec 9 and don't know when I'm heading back to MO. She basically told me to get my *** out here for the winter and I ain't complaining.

Was over at Wallymart yesterday and found a whole end cap full of the $24.88 Megs kits with the NXT 2.0. I got a bug up my *** and picked one up and grabbed a whole bunch of other stuff there and at the Zone. Well, $120 or so later, I'm all ready to do a number on my truck. You OCD'ers are gonna kill me, but I *did* buy Walmart MF towels.

Started out this morning washing it. Used NXT Wash and a Wallymart MF chenille mitt. Dried it with a Wallymart MF drying towel. I already saw that it was looking better than it ever did after my usual infrequent washes at the DIY joint with 70 mph air drying.

Front end looks like a bug graveyard. Took care of most of it with some Turtle Wax bug and tar remover.

Next step - a Megs white clay kit with the QD and Megs towel. Looking even better and it feels REALLY smooth.

Took care of some nasties with ScratchX, I was very happy with the results, it took care of most of the nasty bruises on the passenger door from parking lots which I thought were through the clear. Used a Wallymart MF applicator and towel.

Last thing for today - polished everything but the roof with Deep Crystal #2 polish, used another Wallymart MF applicator and towel. This was a PITA, it does NOT come off easy if it dries. It now looks to me like a brand new truck. Parked it out in the street for the night.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit it with some QD then wax it with the NXT 2.0. If I have any energy left I'll work on the interior, my old *** was TIRED when I got done today, I just got out of the Jacuzzi. In between things today I was also helping my nephew finish up an engine change in his 70 Bug.

Saturday it will get another coat of NXT and the rest of the job (finish the interior, do the black trim and soft tonneau, tires, glass).

I promise to post pics when it's done. This is too much work, I refuse to put any carnauba on top of the NXT. It already looks more than good to me with just the polish.

I'll post another status report, if any of you care, tomorrow night. I may go back over to Wallymart when it's done and get a couple more kits before they sell out just to have them.
OH wow! I can't wait to see some pix!!! I just detailed mine for the first time in a year... it came out amazing.

I hope you had as much luck as I did.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I refuse to put any carnauba on top of the NXT. It already looks more than good to me with just the polish.
That's actually just fine. NXT is a synthetic wax. The majority of the reason to put the carauba on top is to deepen the shine. Some people think that just the synthetic leaves a bit of a "saran wrap" look and that the carauba helps with that. I put some NXT on my light green car and it looked fine alone. My dark green truck however will get carnauba since it's color does get saran looking to my eyes.

Be sure and get us those pics.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
WHAT? You posted all that and no pic?

This is grounds for a 500 post count reduction.

Since you didn't post a photo yet....let me just remind you now...do the wheel wells or its not finished and we'll all make fun of you.

Enjoy the weather out in SoCal...we hate you.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Time for a hell of a rain storm...or is that only when i detail my vehicles?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by RollingRock
WHAT? You posted all that and no pic?

This is grounds for a 500 post count reduction.

Since you didn't post a photo yet....let me just remind you now...do the wheel wells or its not finished and we'll all make fun of you.

Enjoy the weather out in SoCal...we hate you.
I concur!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
glc
RR, I think you missed this..........

I promise to post pics when it's done.
Pics will be posted on my website with links, I'm not gonna kill the thread with inline 7 mp images.

Nope, I'm not going to do the wheel wells, make all the fun you want of me, that won't bother me. My (re)tired old *** is drawing the line there, I'm also dealing with a sprained right ankle and a pinched nerve in my left arm. Next time I'm in DFW I'll pay you to do that FOR me. I also did not polish the roof, it's going straight from clay to NXT.

I put some NXT on my light green car and it looked fine alone.
That's what I'm thinking - my truck is Arizona Beige. We'll see how it looks with 2.0.

Truck is covered with dew this morning, I'm waiting for my towels to wash and dry. I'm gonna do a quick wash before breaking out the NXT.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributor
Speaking of towels... I need to wash mine from the other day.

I think the NXT will do the trick. I added the Meg's Gold Class only because I felt like waxing it one more time... but it really wasn't necessary. It came out looking VERY nice.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
glc
Taking a break - NXT is on the roof, hood, and 1/2 the right side. I am VERY impressed with this stuff, and it wipes off REAL easy. I haven't even waxed a car in almost 15 years, and I'm amazed with the progress in technology in both paint processes and coatings. I will probably call it quits after 1 coat this time - it looks GREAT. I'll probably wash it and throw another coat on before I head back to MO.

When I get the exterior done later today, I'll take some pics while the sun is still up before I do the interior and the glass. I can already see some light swirls and scratches so don't give me TOO much crap - I'm not that concerned, I'm not OCD. I'm just very impressed with the shine and the feel - I've never felt such a slick surface.

Brought to you from the brother-in-law's garage computer (how decadent is that?).

Old 01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Brought to you from the brother-in-law's garage computer (how decadent is that?).
That is a BIG word for this crowd? :o I had to look it up to make sure!

dec-a-dent (adjective)
1. in decline - undergoing a process of decline or decay, especially in morals
2. immoral - showing uninhibitedly or immorally self-indulgent behavior

Have a good trip back to midwest!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by glc
Taking a break - NXT is on the roof, hood, and 1/2 the right side. I am VERY impressed with this stuff, and it wipes off REAL easy. I haven't even waxed a car in almost 15 years, and I'm amazed with the progress in technology in both paint processes and coatings. I will probably call it quits after 1 coat this time - it looks GREAT. I'll probably wash it and throw another coat on before I head back to MO.

When I get the exterior done later today, I'll take some pics while the sun is still up before I do the interior and the glass. I can already see some light swirls and scratches so don't give me TOO much crap - I'm not that concerned, I'm not OCD. I'm just very impressed with the shine and the feel - I've never felt such a slick surface.

Yeah it is amazing how far they've come in wax technologies.

As far as computers in garages... I've got a computer in both garages... but I might upgrade the one in the main garage... it's getting kind of slow.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
glc
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks good!
Those windows need some tint!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
glc
Thanks!

I don't like dark tint, and I don't really need it with a beige truck and interior. If I lived where you do, that might be a different story though!

My nephew has tint in his Explorer and I don't like driving it at night. Can't see $#!t.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Just got around to looking at the photos one by one... nice work.

Looks very good.

Quick Reply: Another first time detail