thinking about getting a DA... need some help..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about getting a DA... need some help..

So I have been thinking about getting one just to cut down on time and effort from doing it by hand. However my dad suggests that if you don't know what you're doing then you could really make a mess. I have always just done everything by hand... I mainly want one just for waxing, polishing, and whenever I need scratch-x. Would I be ok to get one since I have no experiance or should I just stick to doing it by hand? If yall suggest one what brand?

THanks

Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Suspended
Get the Meguiars G100 also known as the Porter Cable 7424, but the G100 comes with a Lifetime Warranty where as the Porter Cable does not. Check out www.autodetailingsolutions.com for start up kits. The Meguiars G100 is safe for anyone with a smidgen of common sense.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
DA's are very easy to use. You won't mess anything up by using it. And you'll get much better results than doing it by hand. Believe me. I used to do everything by hand until a few months ago when I got the DA.

If you read this forum enough, you'll buy just about anything.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can whack off, you can use a DA.

Jim

Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
I believe the G100 DA is very easy to operate. Here is some info I copied from an earlier thread.

To operate the machine, follow these simple instructions:
1. Your car must be freshly washed and dry. Do not buff on a dirty finish.
2. Work in an area with good lighting. Overhead fluorescent or halogen lighting is best.
3. Remove all rings, watches, bracelets, belts and other items that will scratch your paint.
4. Wear an apron to protect your clothing and the paint finish.
5. Adjust the machine speed to 3 or 4 on the thumbwheel. This is a good starting point.
6. With the machine switched off, apply a small amount of polish, cleaner or wax directly to the polishing pad. There are two good methods that seem to work. Squeeze out a complete ring of product about 1 inch in from the outside of the pad, or squeeze out an “X” of product across the pad.
7. Dab the pad in 3-4 spots around the area to be polished, cleaned or waxed to distribute the product.
8. Position the polisher flat on the work surface, get a firm grip and switch it on with your thumb.
9. Move the polisher back and forth (east/west) in a slow, sweeping motion, overlapping each pass (by 50% of the pad width) with the previous, and then switch your pattern to up and down (north/south).
10. It is not necessary to apply more than a pound of pad pressure. Allow the polisher to work under its own weight.
11. Use a clean pad with each product. Do not mix products on a pad. If a pad is not dirty, you may store it in a Ziploc baggie for future use. Be sure to label the baggie or the pad.
12. If a pad becomes caked with product, use a nylon or horsehair detailing brush to clean the pad.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by jaymz
If you can whack off, you can use a DA.

Jim

Sweet

Quick Reply: thinking about getting a DA... need some help..