Need some advice from the pros.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice from the pros.

In my gallerie I have 2 picture of a scratch I got while driving on the interstate. I must have hit something and it flew up and scratched my car in two places. They are deep what do you recommened I do? Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Richhit
In my gallerie I have 2 picture of a scratch I got while driving on the interstate. I must have hit something and it flew up and scratched my car in two places. They are deep what do you recommened I do? Thanks
Those pictures are really hard to view. Too blurry to make out how deep it is, and to be honest, they look pretty superficial based on the photo.

Can you feel them with you fingernail? Are they on the surface (raised up) or are they in the surface like a scratch?

Can you get better photos with the area cleaned and in focus?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:52 PM
I can tomorrow during the day. Yea I can feel them with my nail. You can see the silver under the paint. They are deep.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're feeling them with your fingernail and/or you're seeing the basecoat, they're too deep to remove with polishing methods.

My suggestion is that you take it by a body shop and start thinking about estimates. Another option is a 'air brush' chip-fix place (check your phone book for a Ziebart or similar - they may be able to help). Also, ask your local body shops for options - other than just a full respray.

A third option is touch-up paint but, that's a pretty big spot and it may be a tad challenging to really make it look right... Where is the scratch located?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Where is the scratch located?[/QUOTE]
On the rear driver side door and further back by the gas tank

Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
there about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long

Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richhit
On the rear driver side door and further back by the gas tank
The problem with an area like that is that it's not a flat surface. The curvature of the body panel will make a touch-up with a tube of paint (even with finish sanding) difficult to accomplish in that you really have to get it 'right' so that it won't be visible.

It's not mine but, if it was, I'd be checking with a body shop that I know of and trust... I just don't think that I'd have the guts to give it a go -- although, that said, I don't think you can mess it up further... *shrugs*

Heck man... I'm not sure...

Anyone with more body experience want to chime in?

Quick Reply: Need some advice from the pros.