Detailing disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by attworth
I guess he didn't have the lights on when he did it. Couldn't he tell he was screwing it up big time?

I'm sorry to see that. Atleast you're getting it taken care of.
Hmm... I never knew Ray Charles was a detailer...

Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Rhose pics are heart-wrenching, but, if those pics don't tell the whole story then I feel for you.

Good luck and please post pics of the results when all's said and done.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Ok guys i took a look at these pictures...and i will give you my take on this...

Basically i use a PC (g100) so i dont know the first thing about using a rotary...and nevertheless a wool pad but through all of my readings all this looks like is holograming that should be able to be cleaned up with a cutting pad and something like SSR2.5...then of course have that polished back out....have you seen a pic or actually someone wetsanding an area? it looks terrible but then it is buffed out....the guy is an idiot for taking a wool pad to a vehicle with 500 miles on the ticker...but even more of an idiot for not knowning that he had to go back and clear that stuff up....its just like a compound will dull the surface and then needs a lighter polish....a rotary and wool pad will leave holograms but the same remedy can remove hazing/holograms...the vehicle would not need to be repainted in my honest opinion.....

Take this with a grain of salt...i am not saying this is completely 100% true because i have had zero experience with a rotary but i have read many threads and sites to know that hologramming can be fixed....but is it merely hologramming...pardon me if this sounded stupid..prolly did oh well but at least after some replies i will know the difference....hope everything works out for you sir and maybe it will be a blessing in disguise with the improved clear coat...and best of all it will not come out of your pocket!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Ok guys i took a look at these pictures...and i will give you my take on this...

Basically i use a PC (g100) so i dont know the first thing about using a rotary...and nevertheless a wool pad but through all of my readings all this looks like is holograming that should be able to be cleaned up with a cutting pad and something like SSR2.5...then of course have that polished back out....have you seen a pic or actually someone wetsanding an area? it looks terrible but then it is buffed out....the guy is an idiot for taking a wool pad to a vehicle with 500 miles on the ticker...but even more of an idiot for not knowning that he had to go back and clear that stuff up....its just like a compound will dull the surface and then needs a lighter polish....a rotary and wool pad will leave holograms but the same remedy can remove hazing/holograms...the vehicle would not need to be repainted in my honest opinion.....

Take this with a grain of salt...i am not saying this is completely 100% true because i have had zero experience with a rotary but i have read many threads and sites to know that hologramming can be fixed....but is it merely hologramming...pardon me if this sounded stupid..prolly did oh well but at least after some replies i will know the difference....hope everything works out for you sir and maybe it will be a blessing in disguise with the improved clear coat...and best of all it will not come out of your pocket!
His truck looks gray. I don't think that's merely hologramming.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:53 AM
maybe not entirely.....but its definitely there along with some swirls the wool left behind...im not sure what those little "cuts" are in one of the pics

Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 AM
maybe not entirely.....but its definitely there along with some swirls the wool left behind...im not sure what those little "cuts" are in one of the pics
Nicks from the angle grinder he used? Maybe he thought it was just a really aggressive DA?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 AM
lol..how could you even give that back to the owner? i mean does he actually thinks that is good work or is it that he has already been paid and doesnt give a rats @$$?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM
lol..how could you even give that back to the owner? i mean does he actually thinks that is good work or is it that he has already been paid and doesnt give a rats @$$?
I'd roll it off a cliff and claim it stolen if I were in his shoes.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Whats funny is the exact thing was in my head when i was replying last...but mine was drive it into a lake and pretend to not even notice it was missing from the garage....

but in all seriousness what is the major issue here? i am anxious to hear other's thoughts/responses to my hologramming take.....

Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, you're getting a brand new paint job out of that?

While I agree that the detailer has no business holding a rotary, most of it looks like it could be fixed and that the clear hasn't been compromised. Either way, I'd concur with you that a good paint job by a reputable painter would be better than the factory-installed orange peel.

It's detailers like that that keep those of us that do a decent job (or so say the clientele) in business.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 AM

I thought the same as you after I first inspected it. But there are places where he went through the paint (see picture of fender flare). I went to three body shops and detailers, and they all tried to remove the scratches. While it did look better, when I hit the panel with my 20 Million Candlepower light, the scratches were still there, just slightly reduced. The consensus was that there was not enough clearcoat left to properly buff this out. Especially in those areas that he already went through the paint. It will all work out in the end, and I will have a better paint job on the truck than came from the factory. I'll just be without the truck for a few weeks.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I can see that being the case on the little "cuts" i see in the pictures...but what about the rest.....? it looks like it can be fixed by someone that knows what they are doing...?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I sold my 20"s to this guy, he sent me this video.

Watch his video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZc8-FeOYIU

Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I sold my 20"s to this guy, he sent me this video.

Watch his video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZc8-FeOYIU
Nooo! I no fix nothing!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Suspended
I'm surprised he stayed that calm. I'm also surprised that an officer wasn't called to the scene. Around here they'll come for stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Detailing disaster