Detailing disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i woulda killed him....little bastard

Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'm surprised he stayed that calm. I'm also surprised that an officer wasn't called to the scene. Around here they'll come for stuff like that.

you should see how big this dude is too. He is a monster.

I offered to fix this paint, it wasn't as bad as the OP's here but the point is that there are bad detailers everywhere.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah i understand not everyone does this stuff like us...but i wouldnt take my truck to a detail shop that is run out of a gas station....even if it is dirt cheap cuz most times you get what you pay for...and most detailers will stand behind their work and not deny anything ever happened....

Some things dont mix...like a chicken and waffle restaurant.....

Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, it's official. The truck is getting a complete repaint. The insurance adjuster looked at the truck early last week, and said holy cr*p! But then he also asked me why I wanted to polish and wax a brand new truck. He said that with new vehicles that the paint hasn't even cured (and this truck was built in Aug 07) and I was just asking for trouble. I had to show him where Ford actually bakes their finishes on and the paint is generally cured by the time it gets off the assembly line. Definitely cured in 6 months. I put it in the body shop last Thursday and the painter started out by very light wet sanding to see if he could save the paint and only have to respray the clear. Didn't happen. There were too many places that the scratches were deep enough that he went into the paint. So he will respray those panels.

The insurance company is going to pay to get the truck back to "factory finish" which includes orange peel and everything. I am going to pay the extra to have the truck finished better than factory. The extras that I am having the painter do is 1) Use a clearcoat from PPG called Ceramiclear that is supposed to be very scratch and mar resistant. Costs about 1/3 more than standard clear. 2) I am going to have him paint the front of the bed, since Ford doesn't seem to put any paint there any more. More of a cosmetic fix, but it bugs me to look between the cab and the bed on a black truck and not see any paint. 3) Wet sand and buff after the final coat. To clear up any orange peel, and to get it smooth............

Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Sounds like I need to make a trip to WA. The first guy who detailed it is your typcial hack detailer. Taking wool and compound to paint then covering it up with a heavy glaze. Thats also typical of body shops. Im not surprised they couldnt fix it. There should be no reason to reapint that car unless he literally went through the clear/ paint. Which is absolutely rediculous.

raz- ceramic clears are very hard clear coats. However, they are certainly not scratch resistant. So dont expect it not to get scratched and swirled, because it will. Also, dont expect the repaint to be better then factory. Factory paint jobs are better then the majority of repaints you'll see. Reason for that is because you will find a lot more imperfections in repaints compared to factory jobs. Such as dirt in the paint, orange peel, poor color match, runs, sanding marks, etc. This is even more so with an insurance job. Really the only repaints that will be better then factory are custom jobs and lots of $$$.

I wish you were in VA. But I wish you luck.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
Sounds like I need to make a trip to WA. The first guy who detailed it is your typcial hack detailer. Taking wool and compound to paint then covering it up with a heavy glaze. Thats also typical of body shops. Im not surprised they couldnt fix it. There should be no reason to reapint that car unless he literally went through the clear/ paint. Which is absolutely rediculous.

raz- ceramic clears are very hard clear coats. However, they are certainly not scratch resistant. So dont expect it not to get scratched and swirled, because it will. Also, dont expect the repaint to be better then factory. Factory paint jobs are better then the majority of repaints you'll see. Reason for that is because you will find a lot more imperfections in repaints compared to factory jobs. Such as dirt in the paint, orange peel, poor color match, runs, sanding marks, etc. This is even more so with an insurance job. Really the only repaints that will be better then factory are custom jobs and lots of $$$.

I agree 110% ... Everyone complains about factory paint jobs but they really are damn good other than the fact of the notorious orange peel. But what a lot of people don't realize is that orange peel is actually put into the paint for a reason. Body panels aren't going to be perfect, orange peel helps hide imperfections and the "wavyness" of a body panel. Anyways, I wish the OP luck. I hope it turns out good !

Old 02-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang

You can see in my photo gallery of the fender flare area that he went through the paint. There were several other areas like that, just harder to get a good picture of on that particular day.

I understand about the ceramic clears not being bulletproof, but it should add a little more protection than the factory clear. The only reason that I said that this job will be better than factory is that I've had this shop do several of my hot rods, and they do some awsome work. He also does most of the paint jobs for others with hot rods and classics in the area.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Suspended
Well because you already have some experience with that shop, that should take a little load off of your chest. Do you have any idea how much he's charging the insurance company + the stuff you want done?

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Well because you already have some experience with that shop, that should take a little load off of your chest. Do you have any idea how much he's charging the insurance company + the stuff you want done?
The insurance company quoted a completed price of $3800. There were some obvious areas that the painter was going to contact them about (they only alloted $350 for paint and materials). He is going to attempt to do everything within the price of the insurance quote. He said at an outside estimate, if I have to pay any more, it would be less than $500.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Suspended
That's not too bad. Post pictures when it's done. G'luck !!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by raz175
I understand about the ceramic clears not being bulletproof, but it should add a little more protection than the factory clear. The only reason that I said that this job will be better than factory is that I've had this shop do several of my hot rods, and they do some awsome work. He also does most of the paint jobs for others with hot rods and classics in the area.
Oh yeah. Ceramic clear is definitely a lot harder then factory Ford clear. But the harder the clear, the harder it is to remove imperfections. So just take care of it and you wont run into problems.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey Dan, where is your shop in northern VA?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by guitarman502
hey Dan, where is your shop in northern VA?
I sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Detailing disaster