Detailing disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing disaster

Hello all. New to this forum and to the F150 world. All previous trucks were either F250's or 350's. Decided it was time to downsize and stop paying extra for the diesel. Anyway, with only 500 miles on the odometer, decided to take my new truck to a "Detailer" and have him get out some minor scratches from the dealers lot and get a coat of wax on it to protect it for the winter. I usually handle all the detailing myself, but I'm swamped at work, and it generally takes me a few days to completely do a truck. I got my truck back in the evening, and since it was dark, couldn't tell what kind of job he had done. The next day it was sunny and when I got the truck out, I almost had a heart attack. Come to find out, he had used a wool pad and a cutting compound to buff the truck. Take a look in https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=15776 to see a few pictures of what he did. These pictures were taken on a somewhat cloudy day, so they really don't bring out the whole picture of how bad this truck looks. I know many of you will say "Heck, I could get those scratches out", but I've had it to three other body shops and detailers and they couldn't get them out. So, next week it's going in for a wet sanding and new clear coat or a full repaint if it's needed. The silver lining in all of this is that I've got a super painter to do the work, and he's going to use a new clearcoat from PPG that is much more resistant to scratches. He also does a final wet sanding and buff when it's dry, so it will get rid of all the factory orange peel that it has now. My lesson learned.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap!! Sorry to see that. Was this the detailers first job? Was it at a car wash with a real detail shop? If you get the car re-cleared I would go after the shop because that wont be cheap. Why would he use such an abrasive material where he probably only needed a light buff. I guess you'll be doing all detailing work yourself now. Good luck!!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by bxstang2000
Holy crap!! Sorry to see that. Was this the detailers first job? Was it at a car wash with a real detail shop? If you get the car re-cleared I would go after the shop because that wont be cheap. Why would he use such an abrasive material where he probably only needed a light buff. I guess you'll be doing all detailing work yourself now. Good luck!!
This guy has his own shop and has been in business for over a year. He came recommended by a co-worker who had her husbands truck done by him. Luckily he only had a coat of wax put on and an interior cleaning. His insurance company (which happens to be the same one I use) is paying the entire bill and paying for a rental car (since I don't want to get one of my Mustangs out of winter storage.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
That is terrible. I feel bad for you, man. At least you don't have to pay to have it redone. The detailer you took this to should not be in business.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Their shop would have an "accident".

Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I had a body shop do that to my truck (pictures of mine are in my gallery)... and they tried to "Fix" it a couple differnet times and told me that it was goign to be the best i would get..... imma just break down after the weather breaks and take mine to a professional detailer then buy all the stuff to upkeep it myself.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
*cough*

I know we've had this discussion but... *cough*... oh, nevermind... excuse me... *cough*

Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
*cough*

I know we've had this discussion but... *cough*... oh, nevermind... excuse me... *cough*

assuming pun at me?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarman502
assuming pun at me?
Who? Me?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 PM
This is my line of work and that is terrible. Had it almost happen to me once, ordered a wool pad instead it was a cutting pad, almost a boo boo like that!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to see that... What was he using 80 or 120 grit?... Idiot.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by toolmaann
Sorry to see that... What was he using 80 or 120 grit?... Idiot.
The guy is truly an idiot. After visiting most of the body shops in town for estimates and advice, everyone of them had a tale to tell about cars that they have had to fix for this moron. The best one was where he was backing a customers car out of his bay with the two rear doors wide open. Folded both doors into the body. I'm suprised that he still has insurance. He told me several days after he had done this that he's going after more training. Well, duhhh.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Suspended
I want to cry for you ...

Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Good lord... Did he use a belt sander or an angle grinder on that?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 AM
I guess he didn't have the lights on when he did it. Couldn't he tell he was screwing it up big time?

I'm sorry to see that. Atleast you're getting it taken care of.

Quick Reply: Detailing disaster