What's causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just use some cheap Mequiars all wheel cleaner in the purple bottle for my Helo's. I use a foam applicator pad, the type you wax with, to rub the wheels once applied. Seems to get the brake dust off no problem. I never let it sit on the wheel for more than 30 seconds.

jrbhc8

Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Suspended
Just use soap/water for cleaning the wheels.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
Is simple green safe to use for cleaning the wheels themselves? Thanks
I agree with Thump here. Use an old wash mitt as a dedicated mitt for cleaning wheels. Then just use your regular wash soap and water mixture to clean the wheels using the dedicated mitt. This method cleans the wheels just as well as any product that is specifically for wheels and I think it is much safer.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM
A few people here have complained about there chrome peeling on there Helo`s. Most of these after market rims have cheap plating. Because of the beach wheeling and the winter here I decided to go with black Helos. I was originally looking for just painted silver rims.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Sounds like they are cheap wheels and you're using the wrong produts to clean them.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
Sounds like they are cheap wheels and you're using the wrong produts to clean them.
I wouldn't exactly call them cheap wheels. I had the same wheels on my 04 F150 with no problems. I offroaded that truck more than anything as well as it saw the beach every third day during the summer. All I used to clean them was soap/water without any problems.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
Definitely not a cheap wheel, maybe try pricing them yourself.

The good news is I sent photos to the shop who did the install and I was informed they come with a 1 year warranty on the chrome so I'm good there. The shop forwarded the shots to the company where they got the wheels from and they want to know how many are peeling. Hopefully this is so they can send me out some replacement wheels. Will keep everyone updated.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
Definitely not a cheap wheel, maybe try pricing them yourself.

The good news is I sent photos to the shop who did the install and I was informed they come with a 1 year warranty on the chrome so I'm good there. The shop forwarded the shots to the company where they got the wheels from and they want to know how many are peeling. Hopefully this is so they can send me out some replacement wheels. Will keep everyone updated.
Glad you will be able to get it resolved. In the meantime, let me add one thing that I say quite frequently...

Stay away from these highly caustic cleaners like Westleys Bleech White, Purple Power, Castrol APC, Simple Green, and others. You just never know when they are going to create problems.

Sure, if you dilute them just right, and use them just right, they will work fine... MOST of the time. Screw up just once, and it can cost you a pretty penny, or at the very least, cause you to be very upset with the results. A number of years ago, I saw a beautiful set of Cragar Mags ruined by Bleech White.

Never mind the fact that working around these products is usually not good for the user either.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry guys. The problem you see here has nothing to do with the cleaning chemicals used. It has everything to do with poor adhesion of the actual chrome plating. Said another way, this is a manufacturing problem. Without getting too technical, let's just say the process was not in control and one of us got stuck with the results. The only way this one's going to get fixed is to replace or replate the wheel(s).

As for simply polishing this one away, nope, that wont work either. This is not a polished wheel - even though some polishing was involved before it was plated. All polishing will do is continue to help peel back more plating. I'd be on the horn with the wheel manufacturer asking for replacements. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Don't worry guys. The problem you see here has nothing to do with the cleaning chemicals used. It has everything to do with poor adhesion of the actual chrome plating. Said another way, this is a manufacturing problem. Without getting too technical, let's just say the process was not in control and one of us got stuck with the results. The only way this one's going to get fixed is to replace or replate the wheel(s).

As for simply polishing this one away, nope, that wont work either. This is not a polished wheel - even though some polishing was involved before it was plated. All polishing will do is continue to help peel back more plating. I'd be on the horn with the wheel manufacturer asking for replacements. Good luck!
I sent in plenty of pics today of the peeling wheel (noticed a 2nd spot it's starting to peel at) and of the other wheels that are showing signs of pitting. Hopefully I'll get a new set mailed out to me to replace all 4 of these ones. I am going through the shop that did my install, they are helping me get it taken care of. If the company does right by me I'll get their name and post it up.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Well the update is the company wants me to front $470 for the cost of the new wheel and shipping the new wheel to me and the old wheel back. After they get the new wheel they will reimburse me $250 for the cost of the wheel. So essentially if I want a new wheel I get stuck paying $220, hell the new wheel only costs $250. I'm just gonna tell them they can keep their wheel because I'm not paying $220 just to get a new wheel. I'll roll with these for the next couple of years and replace my set when I get back to CONUS in 2010.

Just kinda chaps my *** that I end up getting stuck paying anything. Their wheel goes bad and I have to pay for it. I understand that shipping's not covered under warranty, but damn I found a site online that'll ship a new Helo Maxx 6 wheel to me for $30.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Stop going through the wheel shop and go straight to Helo...

Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be pushing pretty hard for a new wheel under warranty here. What you have is a very obvious manufacturing (plating) defect. The solution they have offered you basically involves you buying a new wheel. That doesn't sound like a warranty claim to me. Besides, you still have to pay for dismounting, remounting and balancing.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Stop going through the wheel shop and go straight to Helo...
I agree ... Helo is probably a little more concerned with their reputation than the wheel shop.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Does Helo wheels have an official website? I've tried looking for one and all I find is dealers of Helo wheels.

Quick Reply: What's causing this?